Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We did get a coupon to buy board game as a wedding gift.

I have read through several proposal threads...nothing so far. You can see my collection and it is reasonable in size, but now something new is needed.

We do like to play Railways of the World, Power Grid, Runebound, Seasons, Star Wars, Star Realms, Mysterium and several other games.

As now we have more than usual amount of money to spend, we are open for wide variety of games and prices might go even to 120€...we can also buy multiple games. Criteria so far:

- Have to be a good 2 player game (if up to 4 or even 5 can play, it is a plus). We like to play Seasons and also 3-4p game Chaos in the Old World.
- Not too complex rules (compare to Twilight Imperium with all expansions). Reasonable amount of rules is ok...we do like from Mage Knight.
- Playing time 1-3 hours is ok for us.
- We are not looking for long serie of different stories to play. It is hard to play so many times that all is done in reasonable time frame.
- If there are multiple ways to win. Always better.
- Something you can "master" (We don't like from chess...)
- Thematic game is ok for us. We have plenty of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Cry Havoc
Evolution: The Beginning
Innovation
Impulse
San Juan (second edition)
Forbidden Stars
51st State: Master Set
Imperial Settlers
Star Wars: Rebellion
Blood Rage
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Scythe
Eminent Domain
Race for the Galaxy
Small World
Android: Netrunner
Doomtown: Reloaded
Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost always at 2p. You've probably already looked at these but these are the ones from my collection that don't seem to be in yours:
Lewis & Clark
Historia
Last Will
Grand Austria Hotel (no so much good at 3-4p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Mage Wars Arena and rate it high.

Mage Wars Arena: Battlegrounds Domination is an amazing add-on for the game, that really adds a lot!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:

Star Wars: Rebellion sounds interesting yes... Warhammer 40.000: Conquest is one possibility as we like to play Warhammer: Invasion quite bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions listed above. Adding:

Alien Frontiers with Outer Belt Expansion (worker placement, dice, space theme, can play with 2-5) ...one of my favorites.
Legacy: Testament of the Duke de Crecy, though heavily text dependent on the 'friend' cards. Quirky thematic game for up to 4. I had not heard of this before this year, but like the under-lying sense of humor.
Above and Below. Story-telling element.
Scythe, as others have mentioned, 2-5 players

For 2p specific, Akrotiri, tile placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
Lots of good suggestions listed above. Adding:

Alien Frontiers with Outer Belt Expansion (worker placement, dice, space theme, can play with 2-5) ...one of my favorites.
Legacy: Testament of the Duke de Crecy, though heavily text dependent on the 'friend' cards. Quirky thematic game for up to 4. I had not heard of this before this year, but like the under-lying sense of humor.
Above and Below. Story-telling element.
Scythe, as others have mentioned, 2-5 players

For 2p specific, Akrotiri, tile placement game.

Scythe is very interesting, but I have read very critical reviews from that too. I am not sure what to believe.

I was interested form Shadow of Brimstone, but I am not sure if that is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Firefly: The Game?

- Good with two players, also works well with more
- Rules aren't too heavy
- Play time is 1-3 hours
- Various story cards present different win conditions
- Theme is based on the Firefly TV show and Serenity movie, but it's still a good game even if you haven't seen those
- Compare it to Merchants & Marauders- pick up and deliver, work jobs instead of missions/rumors, build a crew, upgrade ship. Similar to M&M but different enough to be its own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would not recommend Shadows of Brimstone. Super wonky. It's fun, but everything else about it is pretty bad IMO.

Maybe Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization? It's good 2 player, many different ways to win, no series of stories to play, lots of strategy, and can be played in <3 hours (once you know how to play).

It is a heavy game, but if you're okay playing Mage Knight Board Game I don't think you'd have an issue with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a large sum to spend at once, maybe consider Food Chain Magnate. Seems to satisfy your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok here from a more "thematic" perspective

Neuroshima Hex..add some extra Armies and you have lots of gameplay variety and it is really more puzzly than an attack game.

Evolution..plays well with 2, even better with more

Race for the Galaxy and /or Roll for the Galaxy..I prefer Roll, but your mileage may vary

Pax Porfiriana

Sun Tzu..Neat 2 player Area Control with card play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a couple we like that play well at 2p and scale up in numbers

castles of burgundy
alchemists
red7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.