Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Gudgeon
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
I was just listening to the news and they were talking about how Obama only has a few months left and how he's working on his legacy, and I was wondering if the game will somehow suggest your legacy based on the choices you make?

I suppose it could be based on your score in certain areas or something?

p.s how are things coming along Gene, are we any nearer play testing stage yet (for us guys I mean)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew!

Legacy Points in Mr President are what determines your victory level (and gives you a comparison of your performance with historical Presidents.) As you achieve good (or great) things, the game awards you, among other things, Legacy Points. So you get them for things like:

* Milestones along your chosen "Build a Greater Society" Track
* Passing meaningful legislation
* Helping to broker peace
* Winning a war
* Eliminating a Terror Leader
* Successful summits with Russia or China that reduce world tensions

etc.

You can also lose Legacy Points when you really mess something up. There's plenty of opportunity for that in the game, as well. :-)

As to finishing the design stage, I'm closer. I've made really good progress on the domestic side of things this summer, and am finally happy with the way that part of the game works. Right now I'm focusing on tightening up the "results of legislation" part of the game (for example, when you pass legislation, there is a range of results, so you never know exactly what the results will be - but getting bipartisan support, expert testimony, and support from the populace during the bill's progress helps to skew the results toward being really good). I'm also working on making the Russia and China AI's easier to use and, well, just better overall.

The good news is the switch to an integrated round system is turning out really well! No longer do you draw three cards, implement them, then get "your turn." Instead, there is an interactive sequence throughout the round where you just don't know what the game is going to throw at you next, but you get plenty of opportunities to both act pre-emptively and respond throughout. The catch there is you have limited resources, so choosing which ones to use when you have an opportunity to act is key.

I'm also really happy with how the yearly priorities system is working out. At the start of each year, you prioritize your ten areas - 3 high - 4 medium - 3 low. And that indicates the resources you're going to have during that turn. (it's a 3-2-1 system, where (depending on the area) you get either 3 activations or 3 die rolls or 3 actions for high priorities, 2 of the same for medium priorities, and only 1 of low.) You can make a switch (at a cost) later in the turn if you feel events dictate (think 9/11), but mostly those priorities drive your strategy and resource availability throughout that year.

So basically what's been happening on the design front is the framework, intent, and "story" of the game remains, and I've been working on the subsystems to make the gameplay more compelling and to give the player lots more choices throughout. Go it's definitely getting better.

I hope this is helpful.

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gudgeon
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the update Gene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT Games wrote:
Hi Andrew!

Legacy Points in Mr President are what determines your victory level (and gives you a comparison of your performance with historical Presidents.)

Gene

This game sounds extremely intriguing.

For the legacy scoring track, I'm wondering how the list of presidents will pan out. Will it be a "bi-partisan" composite, or will it assume the political leanings of the designer and publisher.

If you look online, there is no shortage of people "ranking the presidents". But the modern Presidents, and even some of the more remote ones, I think would be tricky to rank without a sufficient time to consider their policy successes or failures.

I think most Americans will agree, if they are on Mount Rushmore, they will be high on the scoring track. Probably most would include FDR. But there are several Presidents that are also considered 'beloved' by some and somewhat less liked (or even hated) by others. For example, Ronald Reagan, Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson. Not to mention how we, in 2016, might judge those individuals based on our prejudices against those with the typical prejudices of the 18th and 19th centuries. Good luck with that revisionist outlook.

In Sid Meier's CIV IV, if you stink it up, you get the "Dan Quayle." This is pretty funny, but lets face it, he was merely a VP for 4 years---an easy punch line. Will it be so easy for determining where Nixon, Polk, JFK, Grant, Johnson, Clinton, and Grover Cleveland sit?

Personally, I feel President Obama's legacy will squarely sit on his record of foreign policy decisions (or non-decisions), free trade and the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare). We can answer that for ourselves now, as we comtemplate if we feel the country is headed in the right direction or not (and everyone---including Europeans----will have an opinion on this). But I have no idea where he'd sit on this scoring list---I'd need time to sort that out.

Glad the designer has to do it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.