GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,666 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: How does the combat system work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eyal Itsik
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody.
A question to all of those who got to demo the game during Gencon - how does combat work?
The talk about card-driven game sounds more like Gears of War's system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Farnum
msg tools
I played it at Gencon and the combat uses cards to determine what action is available in combat and then dice are rolled to determine damage. Say for instance you draw a double tap card you get to fire twice with your main weapon. This would use your main action but there are other movement cards or weaker attacks that don't require an action to perform. You can do as many of these free actions as you have available. The combat was fairly simple but it was very DOOM! In my first combat round I was able to damage a unit enough that it was stunned I then performed a movement which was adjacent to two stunned enemies and that performs a "glory kill" which instantly kills stunned enemies and heals your marine. You also draw a glory kill card which provides a small combat bonus. I had a blast playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everytime someone describes the game they describe it from the marines perspective, since they have probably only played as the marines.

however, the game is two-sided. someone has to play the invaders. and since I will be the one buying the game, I will also be the one playing the invader most frequently. so obviously I wonder, if the invader has equally devistating and cool actions and combos to make the marines' lives a living hell? I definitely don't want to end up spawning a bunch of underwhelming cannon fodder for the marines to kill. this can be very one-sided and frustrating for the invader.

can someone please comment on my concern?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ying
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
LX1986 wrote:
so obviously I wonder, if the invader has equally devistating and cool actions and combos to make the marines' lives a living hell?

The Invader Player builds a customized deck of event cards for each mission. So you choose whether you want your deck to lean aggressive, defensive, or fast etc. (Or you can use the recommended one) The effects of these cards are pretty varied, from bonus movement points to enhanced attacks. Each round you have the opportunity to discard cards from your hand to place Argent Energy tokens on Demons which allows them to use their strongest abilities.

The balancing act is that Event cards in your hand can be used for any demon on the board but they tend to be slightly less impactful, whereas if you power-up a demon they can be devastatingly strong, BUT the Marines know which demon to focus fire on and they might be able to kill it before it has a chance to blow them up.

In addition the Invader can choose which demon army they bring to the table, which alters what comes out of a portal. So in one mission Yellow portals may summon a Revenant while another mission may have it pour out a swarm of Imps. Your event deck can be built to either enhance the strengths of your demon choices or to shore up their weaknesses.

I'm sure there'll be a promotional article up at some point describing it more in depth but that's the broad strokes of it.

I like to think that there's a fair amount of depth to the demon's play, how many cards to keep vs. which demons you want to power up and when, I'm the designer though, so I'm probably quite biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Mrosek
Germany
Hessdorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the insight! So now i am even more interested! Seems like a nice new tactical miniatures game with 1 vs many and some kind of carddrafting combat system with many replayability options for each scenario depending on the decisions of the Demonplayer. Wow.. Lets see how it will scale with different playercounts. That was and still is a major problem for these type of games from FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it plays as good as it sounds and looks. If so, it is going to be a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fancymancer wrote:
LX1986 wrote:
so obviously I wonder, if the invader has equally devistating and cool actions and combos to make the marines' lives a living hell?

The Invader Player builds a customized deck of event cards for each mission. So you choose whether you want your deck to lean aggressive, defensive, or fast etc. (Or you can use the recommended one) The effects of these cards are pretty varied, from bonus movement points to enhanced attacks. Each round you have the opportunity to discard cards from your hand to place Argent Energy tokens on Demons which allows them to use their strongest abilities.

The balancing act is that Event cards in your hand can be used for any demon on the board but they tend to be slightly less impactful, whereas if you power-up a demon they can be devastatingly strong, BUT the Marines know which demon to focus fire on and they might be able to kill it before it has a chance to blow them up.

In addition the Invader can choose which demon army they bring to the table, which alters what comes out of a portal. So in one mission Yellow portals may summon a Revenant while another mission may have it pour out a swarm of Imps. Your event deck can be built to either enhance the strengths of your demon choices or to shore up their weaknesses.

I'm sure there'll be a promotional article up at some point describing it more in depth but that's the broad strokes of it.

I like to think that there's a fair amount of depth to the demon's play, how many cards to keep vs. which demons you want to power up and when, I'm the designer though, so I'm probably quite biased.

I'm pretty excited for this and am considering a pre-order.

I am wondering if the Invader Player gets to play-to-win or if they are meant to guide the experience in the way a dungeon master does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.