Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

Just got the game a few days ago and am having a great time playing solo. It perfectly fills a niche I have been trying to fill for ages - a civ game, solo-able, with strategy, a map and a tech tree, but one that plays from stone age to space age in 90mins or less!

Everything seems clear from the rules, the FAQ and other posts here on BGG, but I do have one question, however.

I know that for players, the first turn order is random, then it changes each turn depending on victory points - although with solo this is basically irrelevant. I also know that civbots always go after all the player - kings then nobles then chieftans, and within the ranks they go left to right. But within the ranks, does the order ever change?

I can't find any mention of civbot turn order changing, but wouldn't it make sense for the civbots of the same rank to reorder at the end of each turn, just like players do?

TDM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the turn order for civ-bits remains static.

The variable turn order for players basically functions as a catch up mechanism. Do the civ-bots need this? If you wanted them to have it I guess there's no reason not to but I don't think the rules read that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Simon

You're right - the rules make no mention of changing the turn order for civbots.

However, I was thinking it might prevent the one that always goes first getting ahead of the others in terms of expansion, extra VPs and possibly declaring and winning wars before the others have a chance to act.

It just seemed that if the mechanism was good for the players and is intended to keep a balance, why exclude the civbots? And anything that keeps the civbots in check is good for the players anyway!

TDM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy,

I can't remember if it's hidden in the rules, or something that Mario responded to me when we were "building" the early FAQ a few years ago here at BGG. Having played more than 50 games, I know that after your turn (or all human players' turns, we allowed the highest level CivBots to go first during the initial turn, but then it's predicated later by their token location on the Turn Track. For instance, the King level will reveal cards before the Prince, which is before the Chieftain. However, depending on how things play out, the Chieftain may go before the King Level during the next turn.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
The Professor wrote:
Andy,

I can't remember if it's hidden in the rules, or something that Mario responded to me when we were "building" the early FAQ a few years ago here at BGG. Having played more than 50 games, I know that after your turn (or all human players' turns, we allowed the highest level CivBots to go first during the initial turn, but then it's predicated later by their token location on the Turn Track. For instance, the King level will reveal cards before the Prince, which is before the Chieftain. However, depending on how things play out, the Chieftain may go before the King Level during the next turn.

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe

There's no instruction in the rules to put civbot tokens on the turn order track at any point. Are you saying that after the first turn (when it's King then Noble then Chieftain, with multiple same-rank civbots going left to right) we should put the civbot tokens on the turn order track to the right of all of the players, in VP order (lowest first) and then they act in that order, re-ordering it each turn)? Is that official?

TDM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Verde
Italy
Caserta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hohner
Canada
Castlegar
BC
flag msg tools
Serenity flies again... thanks to cardboard!
mbmbmbmbmb
<bump>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy,

I apologize for the radio silence. Many of my "subscriptions" failed to send me the latest info. Anyway, I've not heard back from Marco on a few questions I posed, but I've subsequently found answers by digging thru some new posts.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hohner
Canada
Castlegar
BC
flag msg tools
Serenity flies again... thanks to cardboard!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've taken to updating turn order for Civbots on the Civbot Difficulty Level card. This way their turn order never gets mixed up with human players since humans always go first.

The one downside of this is that Kings always battle for turn order with other Kings, Nobles with other Nobles, etc. so the catch-up mechanic fails the lower ranked Civbots. But they're already unlikely to keep pace BECAUSE of their rank, and we typically play with Civets of all the same rank anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

We play the first round based upon their rank, but subsequent turns, we play them in VP order from highest to lowest.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.