Subject: Arcadia Quest - Beyond the Grave or More Heroes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi All,

I have just bought Arcadia Quest base set and am considering buying either Beyond the Grave or more heroes equal to the cost of the expansion.

Which would you recommend? I am a bit put off by the fact there are only 2 heroes with the expansion as I'm a sucker for more playable characters / races etc in games but I believe this would expand the game further than heroes alone.

I am going to buy all the heroes and expansions so this is more which should I buy initially and that being the case I thought to go with the heroes as it will give me more choice from my first campaign.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas MacIntyre
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BtG is a new campaign so a variety of enemies to fight (even the nameless is the same missions with monster swaps)

Heroes means more to draft from or pick...

So I would suggest more heroes if you have not played a campaign so you are not bored of them but if you want more variety in play before the new bits come out then I would go with BtG.

A campaign is still a good 6 games at time so depends how much you are going to be playing it (we use as a fortnightly club meet up so tends to be about 6 weeks to complete a campaign run)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Beyond the Grave provides more value. You get an awesome new campaign and better enemies than in the base game. I understand the appeal of just buying more heroes, but I feel like BtG adds more to the Arcadia Quest experience overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Eventually you'll get both

But for now, got with Beyond the Grave. It's not just a new campaign, you also get new equipment of both rewards and regular drafted that give you some new fun stuff to play with that could change strategy.

Later on, you'll probably go for either Masmora (lots more characters) or Inferno (more characters and campaign) so you'll have more than enough characters at some point, you'll want more campaigns, trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Beyond the Grave gives you more bang for the buck at first. Pick that up and you get a new campaign, new gear, new monsters as well as a couple new heroes. Then you can add other new heroes a few at a time here and there as you go. Not all of the add on characters are all that great (in my opinion), so you can pick and choose the ones that you want to get a little more selectively this way too (we all get them all in the end anyway though, lol).

If you haven't yet (I think) you can still late back AQ: Inferno which is a whole new campaign with 12 new heroes and all new monsters. If you can get that late back still (again, not sure if you still can) you will also get an extra box with something like 40 extra heroes in it as well as some other goodies including another campaign that uses components from both the original game and Inferno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for BtG here.

I recently picked up BtG, and I couldn't have been happier. I only own base AQ, but I didn't see the need to invest in numerous heroes now when I have Inferno and Masmorra kickstarted.

The extra two heroes from BtG add only a touch of hero variety, but the other mechanics in the box (such as tombstone cards) provide a rich gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Ljubljana - Šentvid
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to buy Guildmaster KS, which cost a lot, be carefull now, there you will get BtG, so don't buy it twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.