$30.00
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was interesting in coming up with a list of games that inspire dislike or controversy because of some political or ideological element. I don't really want to debate whether they should be controversial (no need to rush to RSP). I'm just interested in when this sort of thing happens. So if you feel the need to say "such and such a game is horrible because" or "people who hate this games are idiots because" just try and suppress it. (Also, I wasn't really thinking about games like Puerto Rico which have the slavery issue. I mean, we all agree slavery is bad, so the controversy there is not about the issue, but, rather, about whether the game properly confronts the issue.)

I'm starting with CO₂. That game has a number of "1" ratings. The three with comments all make it clear that they object to a game that treats global climate change caused by carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as a real thing. My favorite line is "There is no way getting the Jack boot of leftist ideology crammed down my throat would constitute entertainment," because I wonder what Jack's boot has to do with this (and what happened to the other boot?).

So what other games cause political/ideological animus?

My first thought was Darwin and evolution. That's always good for a little controversy. So I looked at Evolution and found no ideological complaints (which doesn't mean there aren't any). Well, one "2" voter called it an "abomination" but I didn't think they meant it more than a goof. Could be wrong. Dominant Species also has no ideological hate. (Although the "2" ratings for this very well regarded game are fun to read.)

Cold War anti-communism might also inspire some dislike (from either side) but I found nothing of that sort in the Twilight Struggle comments.

So, ideas? Which games are ideologically controversial for you or others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ziegler
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the slavery issue, I surprisingly haven't heard too much flak directed at Freedom: The Underground Railroad, but as I recall Five Tribes caught a lot of heat until they changed slaves to fakirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Monopoly - I utterly detest the brainwashing element that is "Free Parking" - people, there is no such thing as free parking - not where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people don't want to play Letters from Whitechapel because they don't want to be Jack the Ripper.

I have also heard objection to the theme of Bedpans & Broomsticks.

and of course Lap Dance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPI's old WW3

A game in which North Vietnam was unable to conquer South Vietnam (by deign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mentioned this in another thread...
Phil Eklunds objectivist viewpoint comes through very strongly in his games.
In my opinion it doesn't detract or pin you down to playing along with it though. And I haven't seen a heap of controversy about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Monopoly - I utterly detest the brainwashing element that is "Free Parking" - people, there is no such thing as free parking - not where I live.

theres a magical place called any-small-town-in-north-dakota where people just stop there cars in the middle of the road in front of the grocery store. Its not like theres no room on the side to park or anything, theres spots where they could pull in, they just dont. Heck, half the time they leave it running and even sometimes with the door open just to go in and shop like anyone else its not even like their in a hurry or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know this thread is going to go downhill fast..

In the UK both Climate change and Evolution are not really considered controversial (neither is Gravity..thats just a theory right .

As for slavery in games, everyone complains about Puerto Rico and yet no-one seems to complain about Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. Strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
You know this thread is going to go downhill fast..

Well, before it does I'd like to mention that once while playing Stone Age I happened to mention the "starvation strategy" - somebody at the table was really totally shocked about that - and suddenly liked the game a lot less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-theme a game into science fiction and no one bats an eye. That's the beauty of sci-fi, it allows us to draw parallels and possibly engage with the concepts for those willing to seek it, without the direct politics (or at least a safe amount of plausible deniability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity is another to throw in with the environmental types
Catan Scenarios: Oil Springs is mini expan that pushes that too
not sure how they could be controversial but maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree. Your much safer applying a Sci-fi or Fantasy theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Some people don't want to play Letters from Whitechapel because they don't want to be Jack the Ripper.

and of course Lap Dance

I'm looking at themes/games that people don't like for ideological or political reasons. Not themes you don't like because they offend you for some other reason. Or just games you don't like. That'd be another thread.

I'm not sure if anyone would be offended by Lap Dance for ideological or political reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Geek

Southampton
Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there a CMON (or similar mini-focussed type company) game which some people felt was slightly insensitive in it's handling of mental health issues?

If I remember rightly, all the characters were patients in an asylum featuring beasties which may or may not have been figments of their own imagination - it looked like a standard dungeon crawl type thing, once you removed the slightly controversial thematic elements.

Personally I thought it could be an interesting idea if handled well, and I wondered why Lovecraftian settings (with the ever-present 'insanity' mechanics) were considered ok, yet this wasn't...

/attempt to be analytical and avoid banishment to RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak for myself, and the answer would be no, but I can imagine a few topics/themes that have not yet been developed that would be difficult to deal with, so the answer is yes, depending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game that comes to mind is Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?.
I've read comments about people not wanting to play the Jihadists trying to use WMDs in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters of Whitechapel i have to confess is one of the only games i decided not to purchase on theme alone. I personally do not have a problem with it but i do know friends who would refuse to play it because of theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Muemmelmann wrote:

and of course Lap Dance

I'm looking at themes/games that people don't like for ideological or political reasons. Not themes you don't like because they offend you for some other reason. Or just games you don't like. That'd be another thread.

I'm not sure if anyone would be offended by Lap Dance for ideological or political reasons.
Not even a feminist?

Just becasue you do not think it is a political issue does not mean other people do not.

But I am bowing out now befroe I get a block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are offended by lap dance for ideological reasons. Some people think it is wrong to perform lap dances for money, others think it is fine. Isn't this disliking the game for ideological reasons? (by the way, I do not mean to raise this debate here, I just want to illustrate that people may be offended by the game for ideological reasons).

Maybe I don't really know what ideological reasons mean what about the white chapel example, some people think it is ok to play a historical bad guy in a game, others think that is wrong. Is this an ideological difference? Not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a recent 1 rating on Trump: The Game with the comment: "I would much rather play Hillary: The Game instead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Letters of Whitechapel i have to confess is one of the only games i decided not to purchase on theme alone. I personally do not have a problem with it but i do know friends who would refuse to play it because of theme.

Hmmm. I see a major fail on my part. People are just putting down games they don't like, or that others don't like, because they have unpleasant or displeasing themes.

In this thread I was not interested in games people don't want to play because they find them distasteful. I was interested in games that people think are bad because the games have an ideological point of view that they find objectionable.

For example, being bored out of your mind by Monopoly is not an ideological objection (although it is my objection to playing that horror show of a game). An ideological objection would be that the game seems to be arguing that capitalism is evil (because most people lose out, only a few, or one, profit). So someone might dislike it for that reason (because they think capitalism is awesome).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I think people are offended by lap dance for ideological reasons. Some people think it is wrong to perform lap dances for money, others think it is fine. Isn't this disliking the game for ideological reasons? (by the way, I do not mean to raise this debate here, I just want to illustrate that people may be offended by the game for ideological reasons).

Maybe I don't really know what ideological reasons mean :p what about the white chapel example, some people think it is ok to play a historical bad guy in a game, others think that is wrong. Is this an ideological difference? Not sure.

I think that's a fair point. Objecting to Lap Dance because it's ideological position is that women exist to be objectified. However, does the game really do that? Or is it just an excuse for giggles and such?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
skutsch wrote:
I'm starting with CO₂. That game has a number of "1" ratings. The three with comments all make it clear that they object to a game that treats global climate change caused by carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as a real thing.

Do these same people object to Agricola because it treats starvation caused by not getting enough food as a real thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideological is an adjective that describes political, cultural, or religious beliefs.

Culturally many may feel it is not right to make a game out of tragic deaths/murders that actually took place.

Its the same argument many will use about war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World gets a bit of stick since you play gods trying to corrupt the world. Similarly, I knew Warhammer players who became born again and decided that the game was a bit too morally murky, just a shame that they didn't think it murky enough to sell to me for cheap since they were happy to wait for someone to pay higher prices for all their stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.