Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a project going that is nearing completion and I have settled on a two die rolling system. Players roll both dice and then choose one (to activate their personal player board powers) and share the other (to activate each player's group player board powers). I feel it gives a player better control over their turn, mitigating some of the luck produced from dice rolling, and also adds a bit of depth to the decisions made every turn.

I was wondering if there are other games that use this system? It reminded me of some of the Stone Age development cards (roll dice for # of players and everyone take 1). I didn't know if I was stealing a mechanic directly from someone else or if there are examples of where this was implemented well in the past?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I've seen that but I could also be thinking of stone age. I think its a great idea and you should use it weather or not its already been used. Its also close to Grand Austria Hotel if memory serves me well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Maybe a bit similar to Machi Koro?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The player board layout is very similar to Machi Koro, where the number rolled activate the powers (personal and group), but the player gets to choose what powers are associated with each number.

I think Machi Koro was a major influence. I have been trying to make games my wife would like, and she loves Machi.

Grand Austria Hotel is a great suggestions, I had not heard of it (I found a similar game Yspahan when learning about it). The mechanic used is interesting and similar, though different enough to feel like I might be contributing something new. Thank you very much!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason rundell
United States
Adamstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stone age mechanic is also in Bang, to the point we always call it the general store in Stone Age. Don't think it is that similar to your mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jjg101 wrote:
I have a project going that is nearing completion and I have settled on a two die rolling system. Players roll both dice and then choose one (to activate their personal player board powers) and share the other (to activate each player's group player board powers).

Is this a co-op game? Or do players ally temporarily to get some sort of shared benefit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is competitive. I wanted the players to have a better than 1 in 6 chance to get a good roll for themselves, but also provide them with a means of interacting with the group. I feel it now pays to keep an eye on what your opponents are doing.

It costs a little more to play tiles in the group-interacting portion of your player board, but then there is a greater chance of activating them than your personal powers.

I'll have the rules out before too much longer if you are interested in seeing the implementation. I'm just waiting to have a few folks proof read them first. (I don't want to look illiterate in front of my fellow board gamers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

OK so its not group powers that benefit the group, its group powers in that anyone from the group can activate them, but they still only benefit the player activating?

Yeah sure, always good to read through rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct yes.

Here is a picture of the player board after setup from my first prototype. The starting powers shown were all played on the personal side of the board. (Playing a power card/tile above the # card would allow it to activate on the shared die)

After discussing the idea with my artist partners, they sent this sketch of a player card. Because of their fantastic creativity in the design, I transitioned the dice labels to Personal and Fleet. I've asked for some changes, and we are transitioning to a player board (rather than cards), but I think this might help illustrate the idea some.

Age of Sail Theme arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to the Rules [Version 4.11]

Feedback would be great! This is my first attempt at writing a rulebook.

Edit: File was accepted to BGG so I swapped the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons has a system where you roll as many dice as players + 1 and in turn each player chooses 1 die.

Each face of the dice describes different actions that will be available to the player that chooses that die (in addition to actions given by cards they have already played).

It seems to me that the feeling expected is similar to what you are trying to achieve. It's a tableau building game so there is a tendancy to concentrate on what you are doing but this system forces you to keep in mind what you let to the others at the same time as giving you more choices (reducing the luck of the roll).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, very similar. I have played this game before, but it hadn't come to mind. Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kline
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
www.MysticTigerGames.com
badge
www.MysticTigerGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned two dice and I immediately thought of Dice City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.