Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Van Valkenburg
United States
Phillipsburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is one of the games I've been looking forward to playing and thankfully my non-gamer (or at least not alot of experience with games like this) wife was more than willing to play and indulge me

Rules - The rules were pretty straight forward only had to go back once or twice through the game to remember/clarify stuff (for example early on we forgot about the controlling territory when it came to using resources on the board, but after about turn 4-5 we had it down).

Gameplay - As others have mentioned this is more of a building your faction through shrewd use of abilities and resource management more than a game that has to do with combat. After some explanation as to how the player mats worked and the whole top row/bottom row thing, we got into a groove, though truth be told, it took almost 3/4 of the game for my wife to really get it down and understand it. Really having a grasp as to how that part of the game fits in with your faction and your overall strategy is the majority of the game (at least to me). If you're not comfortable with planning ahead 2-3 moves in advance, it can be tough (I only mention that because as gamers most of us do this anyway, but some non-gamers, really my wife lol, sometimes have trouble as they are more concerned sometimes with playing the right way than actually planning anything).

As a gamer, the game had an interesting flow to it. The turns went super quick. If you plan ahead there really isn't much to think about turn to turn with 2 players. Move your guys, then maybe produce, figure out what resources you need to build your structures or improvements rinse and repeat. With more players I can see that being a bit different, but the game itself really lends itself to being non combative at it's core. Aside from the 2 stars, there is really very little to be gained from combat. The threat of combat and using your pieces to block others (though there are the tunnels to move around), is really where the tension comes from. We aren't really aggressive players like that where we look for confrontation, but the thought was still there for both of us when our pieces were close to on another. Almost like the cold war, what is the other person thinking, are they going to attack.

The choices are the cards where you were given 3 options and pick the best one were neat. Might have been better though to go the way of Above and Below and have another player read your options, have you select the one that fits how you want to play and then you are told what you get. Instead the flavor text, while neat, really just turned into us reading what we were going to get and just picking the best option regardless of if we would have ever actually robbed people or not (read the rules twice on this as I thought it was a mistake when we got to look at the results of our choices before making them).

Last thing, the factions. The minis for each leader are really nice. And while each faction starts with a different ability and their card has different costs for certain things, in essence the same choices are on every factions card. They are different enough where it looks like it will adjust your strategy some from game to game depending on the faction you play.

Length - The game took about 30-40 minutes to setup, read the rules and explain, probably go quicker with experienced gamer people. Once we got into a grove it only took me a few turns to really get into a flow, as I mentioned took my wife about 3/4 of the game to really get it, but she eventually got it as well and by the end understood where she could have done better and really understood the concepts. We were able to finish the game in about 90 minutes or so.

Overall -
I really like the game and I'm glad I purchased it. My wife even commented that she had fun playing it and would play it again. The one thing we both commented on was just how amazing the artwork was in the game. It's been I'm sure said before, but to actually have the game and see it is just really cool. I will say if you are looking for a combat first game I don't think this is the right game for you. If you like a game where you can build up your faction throughout the game and use combat as a means to that end, then yes you will like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice short write-up Anthony.

Was looking for some reviews with non gamers, also like my wife, so great to read it goes well with them too ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with my non-gamer husband and he found it just 'ok'. He's a real non gamer and mostly plays games with me to make me happy. hah I thought he'd like this one as it's pretty simple to learn, has combat, is strategic and not too long, but he was not that enthused with it. He'll play it again, but it's not at the top of his list of games to suggest when I want to play one with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Played with my non-gamer husband and he found it just 'ok'. He's a real non gamer and mostly plays games with me to make me happy. hah I thought he'd like this one as it's pretty simple to learn, has combat, is strategic and not too long, but he was not that enthused with it. He'll play it again, but it's not at the top of his list of games to suggest when I want to play one with him.

Did he give any actual reasons or is this simply not "his type of game"? (what would he rather play?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call my wife a non-gamer, but she's a medium gamer. She joined in on our first game after I received it, and sadly she didn't like it. She thought it was boring unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torn
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I asked my non gamer wife if she would consider playing this with me and she gave me that "are you stupid" look after one glimpse at the tons of components. That is my short review from a non gamer perspective.

The hardest game I can get my wife to play is Ticket to Ride and this only on rainy Sundays during winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rule #1: Have Fun
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw that's a shame. My wife's limit is about 120 minutes, and Terra Mystica / C&C Ancients / Goa / Genoa. There were stages: Catan (Cities&Knights), Puerto Rico, Ra, then Tigris & Euphrates.

Catan to Catan + Cities & Knights was a great way into medium gaming..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.