Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Diceless LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a player who likes the feel of dice in my hand and the sound of dice hitting the table, but in this LCG there's no dice. I'm not sure I like the concept of dice being replaced by cards. I played both, and yet I prefer dice. What do others think of cards being used instead of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
I'm a player who likes the feel of dice in my hand and the sound of dice hitting the table, but in this LCG there's no dice. I'm not sure I like the concept of dice being replaced by cards. I played both, and yet I prefer dice. What do others think of cards being used instead of dice.

Dice are not replaced with cards. The Chaos Bag is a chit pull which is the effective replacement for dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokens are being used instead of dice. How do you feel about tokens being used instead of dice?

I think its ok, allows for more customization without a lot of expense (the contents of the bag changes based on difficulty)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be more precise, they use a chit pull for randomness, right?ninjaninja
Good question--I didn't think I'd like Runebound's token battle system but it's shown its worth after a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgeir Nes
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure i understand how cards replace dice in this game.
What does in some way replace dice is the bag of chips, that you use to determine success or failure.

What seems to be the reason for using this bag, instead of dice which is normally used for this purpose, is that they use this to dynamically change difficulty. Something you can't as easily do with dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
ngajoe wrote:
Well, to be more precise, they use a chit pull for randomness, right?ninjaninja
Good question--I didn't think I'd like Runebound's token battle system but it's shown its worth after a few plays.

Ninja power!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Stephens
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I do agree with you about enjoying the feel and sound of dice, I'm actually very excited about the tokens as a randomizer. There are lots of interesting mechanics that can be implemented with tokens that wouldn't be able to easily be done with dice: you can draw a new token without replacement, you can add or remove tokens from the bag to change the odds, you can save a drawn token for later. Although I like the feel of dice, I'm happy to give it up for the added flexibility and mechanics that a bag of tokens can bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like handfuls of dice too, but even if you were to replace the token draw with dice, it would just be a single die roll which is less exciting so I guess the bag is fine. I have other dice chucking games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
grahamj wrote:

Dice are not replaced with cards. The Chaos Bag is a chit pull which is the effective replacement for dice.

My bad, chits instead of dice, but no dice either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Annowme wrote:
grahamj wrote:

No dice!

I agree that I love tossing the dice, but I see the Chaos Bag as fitting this game like a glove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like tossing dice, but like this change for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 lover of chucking dice
+1 very skeptical of Runebound's token system
+1 fell in love with the flexibility of Runebound's system
+1 am super excited to see what they can do with this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No LCGs use dice. Not sure what you're thinking of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*goes to design table to start designing an LCG that uses dice*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

I see where this is going, but FYI doesn't Warlord The Saga use dice (a D10 I believe, considering I have the card game, I know it does. Also, doesn't MTG used dice to resolve certain situations? I'm sure I can think of other card games CCG or LCG that use dice at times for various reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
*goes to design table to start designing an LCG that uses dice*
LDG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
dboeren wrote:

I see where this is going, but FYI doesn't Warlord The Saga use dice (a D10 I believe, considering I have the card game, I know it does. Also, doesn't MTG used dice to resolve certain situations? I'm sure I can think of other card games CCG or LCG that use dice at times for various reasons.

I guess we're splitting hairs here. No Living Card Game (LCG, from Fantasy Flight Games) uses dice. Given the different structure from CCGs, LCGs are in their own category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, no Lcg uses dice. The only time i saw dice in Magic was the comedy set that had you ripping up cards as well (and maybe the occasional goblin card).

Interestingly Netrunner used to have certain cards that used dice but FFG removed them in the reprint. Personally i thought they were rather thematic in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

Ahm, just out of curiosity. Which other LCG used dice, coz I sure don't remember any. I played Netrunner extensively, as well as LotR, CoC, and WH40k, none of which used dice. wow Not even Magic uses dice, aside from tracking life, but that doesn't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
dboeren wrote:

Warlord used a D20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The chit pull bag will allow for a HUGE design space. Imagine a scenario where you are in a sinking ship and have to put more negative water chits in the bag every round, thus making your checks harder and harder? Or like for one scenario you throw in a dynamite chit into the bag, and when you pull it during a check, it goes off! I'm hoping they will be doing some cool stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Teddy Riot
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
The chit pull bag will allow for a HUGE design space. Imagine a scenario where you are in a sinking ship and have to put more negative water chits in the bag every round, thus making your checks harder and harder? Or like for one scenario you throw in a dynamite chit into the bag, and when you pull it during a check, it goes off! I'm hoping they will be doing some cool stuff like that.

Yeah, but on the other hand I also had high hopes for the Threat tracker in LotR... Thought they were going to use it to later on modify the threat mechanic...didn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
goo

No Dice ........

What the bloody hell ?

Fantasy Flight Games has gone crazy ....

Call of Cthulhu
===============
Arkham Horror
===============
Elder Sign
===============
Mansions of Madness 1 & 2
=========================
Eldritch Horror
=========================
Arkham Horror, the Card Game

Whats next ??????

I think I`m going insane .........

The Fabulous Freebird
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Freebird1956 wrote:
I think I`m going insane .........

Cthulhu/FGG has succeeded, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Alexander
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:

Ashes (by Plaid Hat) uses dice, and while it's not technically an "LCG" since FFG has that trademarked, it's functionally identical (fixed distribution of new cards in small expansions). I can't think of any other LCGs/ECGs that use dice, though. There are a few CCGs that do (such as FFG's new Star Wars game), but I try to stay away from CCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.