BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Parents of 2 Benghazi victims sue Clinton rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The thread title pretty well sums it up....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08/09/parents-2-benghaz...

Tort laws vary from state to state, and there is some immunity given to high government officials for their actions, so I'm not sure whether these people have a chance of actually getting Clinton in court. Not trying to be partisan here, but considering the number of investigations conducted by the government and Congressional committees, I'm not convinced there is a preponderance of liability that could be laid at Clinton's feet, particularly since a large part of the claim rests on the assumption that Iran or Russia hacked Clinton's private server and then passed on the information to terror groups in Libya. As a parent, though, I understand their anger and grief.

Not saying this is politically motivated either, but it will serve to keep the e-mail server issue before the voters. But I'm just a cynical old asshole, what do I know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure it will.

I think people are fed up and bored with it now. As you say umpteen investigation at huge cost and what has been achieved, sod all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think at this point, the decrying of the email server and banghazi from the right is becoming more of a liability for them than a rallying cry. Sure their base will continue the narrative, but for the votes they are trying to capture, I think this is having a negative effect.

So, I say, keep it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Not sure it will.

I think people are fed up and bored with it now. As you say umpteen investigation at huge cost and what has been achieved, sod all.

Agreed - the problem is the GOP. They shot themselves in the foot here.

The GOP says that Hillary is the worst person in the world, and she's a felon... so people expect some REALLY incriminating stuff in her emails.

However, all the 'damaging' emails aren't as bad as the GOP makes it out to be, so people basically ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the suit stands a chance of winning for reasons you mentioned and so what other purpose can there be except political grandstanding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I don't think the suit stands a chance of winning for reasons you mentioned and so what other purpose can there be except political grandstanding?
It hinges on an unprovable (and as far as I know totally new) claim that Russia or Iran or some other nation (we are not sure who) may have passed (we are not sure if) some information (we are not sure what) to the attackers.

It is a mindbogglingly weak case full of (admitted) assumption that are going to be impossible to prove in court (but also disprove, which I suspect is the point).

Yes I think this is just politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every WIA/KIA in every "war" since the beginning of time now has the right to sue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Every WIA/KIA in every "war" since the beginning of time now has the right to sue?
I do hope so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Tort laws vary from state to state, and there is some immunity given to high government officials for their actions, so I'm not sure whether these people have a chance of actually getting Clinton in court. Not trying to be partisan here, but considering the number of investigations conducted by the government and Congressional committees, I'm not convinced there is a preponderance of liability that could be laid at Clinton's feet, particularly since a large part of the claim rests on the assumption that Iran or Russia hacked Clinton's private server and then passed on the information to terror groups in Libya. As a parent, though, I understand their anger and grief.

Not saying this is politically motivated either, but it will serve to keep the e-mail server issue before the voters. But I'm just a cynical old asshole, what do I know?

Tricky case to be sure. I doubt she'll ever face any penalties, and the Clinton Campaign might try to pay them off quickly.

We'll see...thanks for posting!

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I think at this point, the decrying of the email server and banghazi from the right is becoming more of a liability for them than a rallying cry. Sure their base will continue the narrative, but for the votes they are trying to capture, I think this is having a negative effect.

So, I say, keep it up. :)

I for one am glad you feel that way.....

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel bad for Smith's & Woods' families. Bad because their sons were killed. And bad because they're being played and lured into what looks like a pretty hopeless lawsuit with a legal underpinning that appear to be less than rock-solid, and timing one can only call suspicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
True, but as Ferret noted, Clinton may just settle out of court to make the matter go away, with attendant non-disclosure clause and sealing of court documents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Of course it's politically motivated and a rather crass, cynical maneuver to boot.

It'll likely be dismissed on procedural grounds before the extremely tenuous factual allegations could even be examined. A civil court would need access to extremely sensitive intelligence information about exactly who was involved in the attack, who organized the attack, their motives and whether the had actual access to allegedly hacked information...oh and there would need to be showing that the people on the ground in Libya couldn't suss out for themselves just who were the armed Americans in the buildings for which Libyan police were providing security.

Strange that conservatives always blame the left for milking tragedy. Guess it plays both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Of course it's politically motivated and a rather crass, cynical maneuver to boot.

It'll likely be dismissed on procedural grounds before the extremely tenuous factual allegations could even be examined. A civil court would need access to extremely sensitive intelligence information about exactly who was involved in the attack, who organized the attack, their motives and whether the had actual access to allegedly hacked information...oh and there would need to be showing that the people on the ground in Libya couldn't suss out for themselves just who were the armed Americans in the buildings for which Libyan police were providing security.

Strange that conservatives always blame the left for milking tragedy. Guess it plays both ways.

It's Larry Klayman and Judicial Watch. His Clinton hate boner can probably be seen from space by now.

And yeah, although it's been decades since I graduated, there are many statutes on the books that protect officials' communications and actions during the course of their official duties, and for good reason, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this thrown out at all.

SUMMARY JUDGMENT WTF IS THAT THE CLINTONS STOP AT NOTHING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:

I'm still waiting for my settlement with Carthage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
rcbevco wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

I'm still waiting for my settlement with Carthage...

I just got my 100 shekels and two goats from the Hittites. Hang in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.