Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules D
United Kingdom
Annan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The apps says to move a monster towards the nearest investigator two spaces.

between the monster and the investigator is two doors.

My question is, does the monster still move towards the nearest investigator? ie is there any way to sneak around the monster (other than evading)? or is monster AI literally, when placed that monster is just going to charge the investigators in straight lines?

Seems odd that 'Range' things are blocked by doors and walls yet monster movement is very linear.

I suppose you could say it's all the sound the investigators are making depending on what variable the app asks you to use (lowest Will etc.).

Just seems odd, or am I doing it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It moves towards you, walking through (non-locked or -barricaded) doors. Presumably it can hear your voices or something over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster movement is a little bit like just moving in a line towards investigators, but there are other variations during the monster activations. A few examples of different things I've seen are

- monsters not moving at all, but attacking from distance
- monsters moving away from investigators

So it's not just a case of moving monsters towards investigators on every turn, even though admittedly there is a lot of that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes the app will ask you to move towards the nearest investigator "within range". Sometimes it will just be the nearest investigator. Sometimes it may be some other factor!

So monster movement does change, sometimes depending on the circumstances of the scenario, sometimes randomly.

But yes - the most common reason you can put it down to is the noise the investigators are making, or the heightened senses of the monster or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules D
United Kingdom
Annan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheers all for the replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Sometimes the app will ask you to move towards the nearest investigator "within range". Sometimes it will just be the nearest investigator. Sometimes it may be some other factor!

So monster movement does change, sometimes depending on the circumstances of the scenario, sometimes randomly.

But yes - the most common reason you can put it down to is the noise the investigators are making, or the heightened senses of the monster or something.

The monster pulls out its non-Euclidean 4D slide rule and determines that there's something yummy nearby and its got a grumbly in its tumbly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

When asked to move towards the nearest investigator "within range", what if there is no investigator "within range", like they're more than 3 spaces away or through a doorway. Does the monster not move then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheShib wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

When asked to move towards the nearest investigator "within range", what if there is no investigator "within range", like they're more than 3 spaces away or through a doorway. Does the monster not move then?

There will be an option on the app that says "no investigators within range", and you just tap that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify but if there is a monster that spawns 2 spaces away from an investigator but they are in a different room and it says to move the monster up to 3 spaces towards the nearest investigator 'within range', does the monster go through the door and attack? The Range rules seem to contradict this as it says 'Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows this'. There is nothing in the spawn statement that says to ignore doors, so does the monster move at all, move up to the door and stop or break the Range rule and go through the door?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vyking wrote:
Just to clarify but if there is a monster that spawns 2 spaces away from an investigator but they are in a different room and it says to move the monster up to 3 spaces towards the nearest investigator 'within range', does the monster go through the door and attack? The Range rules seem to contradict this as it says 'Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows this'. There is nothing in the spawn statement that says to ignore doors, so does the monster move at all, move up to the door and stop or break the Range rule and go through the door?

If it uses the words "within range" and the nearest investigator is through a door, you click on "no investigators within range". The app normally then tells you what to do (*for example, move the monster 2 spaces towards the investigator* - i.e. is trying to move through the door so they are in range next go).

So no, in range stops at doors. Do not go through and attack.

See the Reference book, under "Range".

Note: If it does not say in range, and just says move X spaces towards the nearest investigator and attack, then you can ignore doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that. I went with what you said so glad I got it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blubinx Blubinx
msg tools
Sorry, but to further clarify:

My investigator is 2 spaces away, but in a different room from the monster. So I click "no investigator in range".
Fine

Then the app tells me to move the monster 3 spaces towards the nearest investigator. Does the monster now peacefully move through that door, into the room and comes and just stand there next to my investigator without attacking him? This feels very counter intuitive and a bit weird vis-a-vis the theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blubinx wrote:

My investigator is 2 spaces away, but in a different room from the monster. So I click "no investigator in range".
Fine

Then the app tells me to move the monster 3 spaces towards the nearest investigator. Does the monster now peacefully move through that door, into the room and comes and just stand there next to my investigator without attacking him? This feels very counter intuitive and a bit weird vis-a-vis the theme

Yes. Typically, the first instruction will result in the monster moving and attacking. If for whatever reason the monster cannot carry out the first instruction (often because the investigators are too far away or "hidden" behind doors), then the investigators are "rewarded" by the fact that the monster will still move but just not attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blubinx Blubinx
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
blubinx wrote:

Fine

Yes. Typically, the first instruction will result in the monster moving and attacking. If for whatever reason the monster cannot carry out the first instruction (often because the investigators are too far away or "hidden" behind doors), then the investigators are "rewarded" by the fact that the monster will still move but just not attack.

Ok I guess. Not sure how to justify that from a theme point of view. The monster can open doors while moving, but not while attacking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blubinx wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
blubinx wrote:

Fine

Ok I guess. Not sure how to justify that from a theme point of view. The monster can open doors while moving, but not while attacking...

The rounds are just chunks of time, and a round ends at an arbitrary time. Think of it as the monster moving towards you, with murder in mind, raising its paws, and *ka-ching* end of round. The first thing that happens when time starts moving again is that you either attack the monster as it appears or you do something else (flee?) triggering an evade check, which is more or less the monster attacking you. Works thematically, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blubinx wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
blubinx wrote:

Fine

The idea is that if the monster can see you it just goes straight for you. If it can't see you, it has to spend more time looking for you and so doesn't have the "time" to attack you in the same Mythos phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blubinx Blubinx
msg tools
Ok thanks to the both of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best flavor text I've seen on this is the Hunting Horror, which, if it can't see you and move to attack,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
"licks the air and catches your scent"

and then moves toward you. So the text sort of explains what's happening in the separate steps (plus it's nicely repulsive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakis Char
Greece
flag msg tools
I have a question about monster movement too.

Let's assume that a monster shares a space with an investigator and there is another investigator on an adjacent space and another investigator 3 or 4 spaces away.
The app says "the monster moves 2 spaces towards the nearest investigator and then it attacks any investigator on its space".
I assume that the nearest investigator is the one that shares the same space with the monster. Does that mean that the monster does not move at all?
As mentioned, the app says "moves 2 spaces" and not "up to 2 spaces".

Same question in case there was no investigator on the monster's space and there was one on an adjacent space. Does the monster move only one space towards this investigator and stops its movement though the app says "move 2 spaces"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
metmat wrote:
I have a question about monster movement too.

Let's assume that a monster shares a space with an investigator and there is another investigator on an adjacent space and another investigator 3 or 4 spaces away.
The app says "the monster moves 2 spaces towards the nearest investigator and then it attacks any investigator on its space".
I assume that the nearest investigator is the one that shares the same space with the monster. Does that mean that the monster does not move at all?
As mentioned, the app says "moves 2 spaces" and not "up to 2 spaces".

Same question in case there was no investigator on the monster's space and there was one on an adjacent space. Does the monster move only one space towards this investigator and stops its movement though the app says "move 2 spaces"?

While the rules don't seem to make this clear, the monster only moves if required.

Take a look at page 11 of the "Learn to Play" book. There the monster is told to move 2 spaces but only needs to move 1.

The closest I think the rules tell us this is on page 13 of the RR under movement. The last two bullet points only seem to apply to the investigators.

So, if the Investigator is already adjacent then the monster doesn't move.

The monster doesn't need to move because it has already fulfilled the requirement of being adjacent.

In your second case, the monster moves to the investigator 1 space away and attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules entry on 'Toward' does make it clear:
RRG - Toward wrote:
Whenever a component moves toward another component or space,
each space it moves must reduce the distance to its destination.

So if the target is 0 spaces away, it is impossible to move to reduce the distance and thus the movement cannot be performed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.