Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Do I need Dominion base set if I already own several expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lehel Kovács
Hungary
flag msg tools
mb
An interesting question came into my mind while I was waiting for the new Empires expansion. Whether is it worth to pick up the original base set to have more variety, available strategies and combos in case I use Intrigue as a base set and also own 7 expansions already (Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Guilds, Adventures and Empires). I know the base set is "boring" in the sense it has very basic cards compared to later sets but I'm wondering whether sometimes a simpler card better than more complicated ones when mixing several sets. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, speaking as someone who has all of them except for Alchemy (since it doesn't play so well with random mixing), I do enjoy the base set for just the reason you mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some classic staples in the base set that are still great. Mine, village,and of course chapel. I think since it is obviously a hit for you, the base would be a good addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
With beginners I walk through "Big Money", then show them "Chapel". It's always a good introduction to the game. There's no need to get the base set, there's so much possibility in what you have. However, if you're a bit of a collector, then you're going to get it no matter what anyone says here, and one is just seeking justification. So, if you have the space and the expense doesn't put you or your family out, buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mwroskam wrote:
There are some classic staples in the base set that are still great. Mine, village,and of course chapel. I think since it is obviously a hit for you, the base would be a good addition.

Village is great?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you need the base for many good cards and yes Village is a good card that is great in some setups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do want some simpler cards sometimes, sure, go for it. There are even a few interesting cards that weren't done to death in later expansions (Feast, Gardens, Library, Council Room). But you'll be perfectly happy without it, and some of the cards (like Village) you've seen in so many other versions that it'll probably feel like you've already played with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
...some of the cards (like Village) you've seen in so many other versions that it'll probably feel like you've already played with it.
Yes but... All the other Villages either don't quite do what it does, or (more frequently) cost 4 or more. Plain old Village at a cost of 3 is a staple.

Also, I teach the game often, and I really like to use the base set for that.

ETA: Going back and reading the actual question, only you can determine if it's worth it to you to have those cards available. It is easily worth it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I thrashed the wife with Mining Village-Smithy last weekend. The old cards are still great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinto wrote:
Mwroskam wrote:

Village is great?
It's a cheap "branch action" card. On it's own, it leads to the "village idiot" achievement, but combined with the correct cards, it can shine.

There are $2 "branch actions", but Village is nice in where it draws a card, replacing itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My $0.02:

You don't need the base set, not by any means.

If you're a completist like me, then you have to get it. I mean, I bought Empires even though I've hardly played Dominion since I got Adventures. (both cool expansions, btw, I just don't have my old Dominion opponent living under my roof anymore).

Anyway, if you have 7 or 8 expansions, you have tons of cards already, and I don't think getting another one particularly adds to the feel of variety you already get from what you have. There's nothing wrong with the base set, we're just talking about diminishing returns, is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem with the base set wasn't that the cards in it were bad, but that in random combinations, Big Money worked well a little too often. Diluting the base cards in the expansions you have, you won't have that problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I think the problem with the base set wasn't that the cards in it were bad, but that in random combinations, Big Money worked well a little too often. Diluting the base cards in the expansions you have, you won't have that problem.
Another interesting comment a fellow Dom player pointed out was Mine seems out of place. IIRC, it used to be part of Prosperity? Whether if this was true or not, Mine would've been a better fit in Prosperity given all the sheer variety of Treasure cards that it made available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
...Mine would've been a better fit in Prosperity given all the sheer variety of Treasure cards that it made available.

Interesting. Playing Prosperity, I noticed my opponent just loved Venture, while I prefer Bank. We talked about it, and he agreed he liked Venture better than Bank. So, we agreed to play with Venture and Bank and eight random cards. His reaction after the game was, "That hurt."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Another interesting comment a fellow Dom player pointed out was Mine seems out of place. IIRC, it used to be part of Prosperity?

You recall incorrectly! Or at least it was never in the published form of Prosperity. And Mine was an extremely early Dominion card, so there's a strong likelihood it was never in Prosperity, even during development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Another interesting comment a fellow Dom player pointed out was Mine seems out of place. IIRC, it used to be part of Prosperity?

You recall incorrectly! Or at least it was never in the published form of Prosperity. And Mine was an extremely early Dominion card, so there's a strong likelihood it was never in Prosperity, even during development.

Also, there's no mention of it in the secret history of Prosperity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Another "IIRC", but wasn't it one of those early cards that was slated for a later expansion, but ended up getting going to the head of the class for the very first, base game, set?

Again, either way, it feels like it would've been a better fit in Prosperity.

EDIT: here's that entry, and yeah, it does NOT look like that was the case...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/355420/secret-history-d...
Quote:
Mine: Of the 10 Actions in the first game ever of Dominion, this has changed the least. It always cost 5, and always let you trade Copper for Silver or Silver for Gold. The only difference is that now it phrases this as "gain a Treasure costing up to 3 more," as if someday there might be other treasures that this would also work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
ackmondual wrote:
EDIT: here's that entry, and yeah, it does NOT look like that was the case...

I'm there for you with the rundown of where the main set cards came from.

Cellar
Chapel
Moat
Chancellor - from Intrigue
Village
Woodcutter
Workshop
Bureaucrat - designed between showing RGG the game and publication (but based on a Prosperity outtake)
Feast - from Intrigue
Gardens - from large version of Alchemy (had cost $P)
Militia - designed between showing RGG the game and publication (from same starting point as Bureaucrat)
Moneylender
Remodel
Smithy
Spy - designed between showing RGG the game and publication (but first put into War)
Thief
Throne Room
Council Room - from War
Festival - from large version of Alchemy
Laboratory
Library - from large version of Alchemy
Market
Mine
Witch
Adventurer - designed between showing RGG the game and publication (but first put into Prophecy)

The unlabelled cards were always in the main set (in some form). All of those but Woodcutter predate me deciding to split up the cards I had into a main set and two expansions (as do a number of other cards).

It took me a while to figure out discard attacks that weren't broken. The Prosperity outtake mentioned was "+$2, each other player puts a card from their hand onto their deck."

"War" wasn't an acceptable theme for Hans im Gluck. But also, that set had non-attack player interaction as a theme and I needed those cards everywhere (though Prosperity and Empires did get it as a smaller sub-theme). So it lost a lot of cards and got a new theme and gradually transformed into Dark Ages.

Prophecy was a small expansion with a top-of-deck theme. It only existed briefly; I rearranged where everything was to try out expansions at 15 cards, then decided against that (but kept the original 2nd expansion split into two, Seaside and Hinterlands).

And Alchemy was originally a large expansion (though, back when, that meant 20 cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.