$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Rita the athlete - should she be black? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reading her backstory and it's all about running from the KKK down south. Also there are no black characters in the game and normally FFG does a good job representing minorities. Just curious what others thought.

Great game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, haven't read that back story yet.

FWIW here's the paint job on the Arkham Horror Premium Figures line...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Just reading her backstory and it's all about running from the KKK down south. Also there are no black characters in the game and normally FFG does a good job representing minorities. Just curious what others thought.

Great game!


Here is the character card from Arhham Horror. The portrait for the character has changed from that game. The older picture may help though

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic391525.jpg
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Just reading her backstory and it's all about running from the KKK down south. Also there are no black characters in the game and normally FFG does a good job representing minorities. Just curious what others thought.

Great game!

She is black. At least in Arkham Horror and the novel Ghouls of the Miskatonic.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
So they do seem to have 'whitewashed' her... interesting. I cane see this one blowing up whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
So they do seem to have 'whitewashed' her... interesting. I cane see this one blowing up whistle
Ahem. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by just plain F'ing up."
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... this is awkward.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife said yeaterday "I wonder when the thread about the white-washing of Rita will appear"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
So they do seem to have 'whitewashed' her... interesting. I cane see this one blowing up whistle
Ahem. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by f'ing up."


Weird F up isn't it? They commission an artist to draw a new portrait of an existing character... and he accidentally changes her skin colour... not sure how that happens... and then it's not picked up on by anyone... not sure how that could happen either... I don't see how it could be attributed to an 'F Up' to be honest. Seems improbable doesn't it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
OrangeCat X wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
So they do seem to have 'whitewashed' her... interesting. I cane see this one blowing up whistle
Ahem. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by f'ing up."


Weird F up isn't it? They commission an artist to draw a new portrait of an existing character... and he accidentally changes her skin colour... not sure how that happens... and then it's not picked up on by anyone... not sure how that could happen either... I don't see how it could be attributed to an 'F Up' to be honest. Seems improbable doesn't it?

It's definitely a conspiracy.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Burning Monkey wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
OrangeCat X wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
So they do seem to have 'whitewashed' her... interesting. I cane see this one blowing up whistle
Ahem. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by f'ing up."


Weird F up isn't it? They commission an artist to draw a new portrait of an existing character... and he accidentally changes her skin colour... not sure how that happens... and then it's not picked up on by anyone... not sure how that could happen either... I don't see how it could be attributed to an 'F Up' to be honest. Seems improbable doesn't it?

It's definitely a conspiracy.



Nope. I understand you're attempting to be facetious but it would work better if you understood the meaning of the word 'conspiracy'.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drawn by the reanimated corpse of Lovecraft himself
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Maybe the next scenario will be based on Lovecraft's 'The Street'

(Now THAT'S a good facetious comment)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I call bollocks on Rita being white washed. Having her character sheet in front of me, she continues to be an investigator intended to be of darker skin. And anyone able to read can still figure out she was once hunted by the KKK down south. Here's the sheet with her backstory:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CodnLezWIAADW6A.jpg:large

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the picture on the character card doesn't look black, yet the back of the card strongly suggests she is.

So, when I get round to painting her figure, do I...

- paint her white, in conflict with the description on the back of the card: running away from the KKK in the deep south (maybe she just had debt problems or something...?)

- or, paint her black & confuse anyone looking for the mini to match her character's card in future (or worse, make her look like she's gone full minstrel)

- get another mini & do both!

- zebra stripes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pudsy wrote:
Well, the picture on the character card doesn't look black, yet the back of the card strongly suggests she is.


She's as black as the "the first black president of the US". I'd go with zebra stripes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and here we go!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, zebra it is
I see your point with that larger pic you linked. Harder to tell on the tiny image on the card itself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
OrangeCat X wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
So they do seem to have 'whitewashed' her... interesting. I cane see this one blowing up whistle
Ahem. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by f'ing up."


Weird F up isn't it? They commission an artist to draw a new portrait of an existing character... and he accidentally changes her skin colour... not sure how that happens... and then it's not picked up on by anyone... not sure how that could happen either... I don't see how it could be attributed to an 'F Up' to be honest. Seems improbable doesn't it?


Which is more believable:

a) An editor did not look at a piece (pieces) of art closely enough and signed off on it, even though the artist(s) missed the fact that this person is black (maybe s/he only looked at the fig and *ahem* B&W source shots), and later more artists continued the mistake through overworked intertia?

or

b) FFG, or one if it's editors, maliciously changed a character's race even though a large part of the boardgaming internet community, or even non-evil staff would eventually catch it creating a s**tstorm that would bite them on the butt later?

I always thought of Rita as mixed ancestry, and the KKK would HATE that, almost more than if she were pure black. Especially if she excelled in school or athletics.

HOWEVER.

I saw a trailer for Great Wall on the weekend. Brrrr.... That crap has got to stop.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
The lighting on the illustration isn't great, with a blue wash and white light. She looks like she is intended to be around the same skin tone as Beyonce or Halle Berry, but the strong spotlight someone has placed on the ground in front of her is washing out a lot of her colour for some reason.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
JBH1 wrote:
The lighting on the illustration isn't great, with a blue wash and white light. She looks like she is intended to be around the same skin tone as Beyonce or Halle Berry, but the strong spotlight someone has placed on the ground in front of her is washing out a lot of her colour for some reason.


It's a drawing. Are you saying that the illustrator just drew this black girl in a way that makes her look really, really white?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
But saying that, I guess I can go with the black-with-light-skin tone argument. Though I guess my opinion isn't the important one (I'm white).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
- zebra stripes

BTW did you know...?
http://mentalfloss.com/article/65092/our-skin-covered-invisi...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaschko%27s_lines
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
JBH1 wrote:
The lighting on the illustration isn't great, with a blue wash and white light. She looks like she is intended to be around the same skin tone as Beyonce or Halle Berry, but the strong spotlight someone has placed on the ground in front of her is washing out a lot of her colour for some reason.


It's a drawing. Are you saying that the illustrator just drew this black girl in a way that makes her look really, really white?


especially since this is almost exactly the origin of the word "whitewashing"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been several years since I read "Ghouls of the Miskatonic" but I seem to remember a passage in that novel about Rita (who is most definitely portrayed therein as an African-American) having light skin. Can someone who's read the book more recently confirm this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.