Subject: Sedation Dentistry (POLL) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that you all know what sedation dentistry is snore
Your dentist gives you a little something to make you go to sleep, then does the required dental surgery on you, and then you wake up with no memory of the procedure and you just wait for the painkillers to wear off, like everyone else does.

In rarer cases, it is for people who are terrified of any dental procedure, like cleaning and polishing, but it is normally considered for things a bit more major than that.

Poll
About sedation dentistry...
It's the only way that I'll do dental surgery from now on
I've done it and it was great. I'd probably do it again if need be
I tried it but it didn't meet my expectation so I wouldn't do it again
I tried it once but I would never do it again
I've tried it but I think I could do without it now
I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to
I haven't tried it yet and I don't think I ever would
I would never try it-- don't trust it
I would never try it-- no need for it in my case
I have no teeth left, so what's the point?
      64 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Are you a prime candidate for it?
Do you need it in order to get anything done, including a routine cleaning?
Or can you overcome your fear of the giant needles going in, and the shrill-sounding whirling pieces of surgical steel, being wielded by a masked man or woman who only got their DDS diploma a year ago?
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had so many cavities drilled that it's routine now. I struggle to not doze off while I'm getting dental work done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back before sedation was even an option or concept, I was at a dentist to get my first filling done.
I was a bit nervous, and he gave me Nitrous Oxide ("laughing gas").
A little too much, as it turned out. I was limp and drooling during the whole thing. He finished up and I heard him say, "Nurse-- switch him to straight oxygen for a while; I think we overdid it a bit."

So back when I was a kid, I would have loved a sedation option. I remember one dentist trying to pull a tooth and pressing down on my chest while he pulled up, and then swearing because the tooth cracked off and he had to go back and get the pieces that were left.
I was crying, and he was not sympathetic, at all.

Things improved greatly as I aged. I only ever had one other cavity to be filled, and I didn't need any Nitrous for that.
I like my current dentist and my hygenist, so I'm never worried about what they tell me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even get Novocaine for most of my fillings.

(I'm not tough, just insensitive.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm needing some oral surgery. Sedation is relatively cheap compared to the rest of the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It made for a great Seinfeld episode...

For myself, I share a common mindset/experience/superstition when it comes to dentists, doctors, and auto mechanics: I only go in if something is drastically wrong, as I find things tend to break after they poke around. Fortunately, I have no cavities, and haven't had serious mouth work done since my teenage braces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna be awake, so I can enjoy the nitrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sedation!?

I was awake for freakin 8 hours of facial and jaw reconstruction as the roof of my mouth was bolted back together.

Sedation...

Get off my lawn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who needs sedation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually lie there and play chess in my head. cool

So I need an option between "I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to" and "I haven't tried it yet and I don't think I ever would". If I ever need major dental work, then sure, but it seems unlikely to come up.

(I had teeth disintegrate during a judo bout 25 years ago: I only needed a local while the surgeon removed fragments and reconstructed. Two sessions, a couple of hours each - I got an incredibly stiff neck but that's all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Had it done just at the end of last month. Still recovering before a new full upper denture.

"I've done it and it was great. I'd probably do it again if need be" was the poll choice that came closest. It wasn't anywhere near great Though. And the recovery has had a few bumps in the road. I'd do it again for extensive work. I'm not a dentist phobic person, though, so I don't need it for every visit. The Visit was satisfactory. The experience and recovery wasn't.

"I've done it and it was a satisfactory alternative. I'd probably do it again if The work needed is more than a simple filling."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
When I was a kid, our family dentist was himself afraid of being put under; things have probably improved since then, but his apprehension rubbed off on me.

And, my mom's dad pulled his own wisdom teeth. Years ago, when I was having my wisdom teeth pulled, my mom basically said that if I didn't demand local anesthetic and a mirror, I was a pussy. (But I sort of blacked out for a bit while watching my ex-wife have her wisdom teeth pulled, so I think that question is pretty well resolved.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A doctor once told my wife that whenever possible, they try to avoid putting patients under because that greatly increases the chances of death, the ultimate side effect.

So I vote 'no thanks'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.