Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Dunmire
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im about to pull this out and try it with my fiancé... (ive read the rules and I feel I understand it... mostly...)
Im hoping it goes well and wanted to see if any of the geeks had any teaching tips? or common mistakes for new players they can warn me about so as to avoid ruining our first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not mistakes as such, but remember to score a region when you complete it, and add the phase-specific bonus value to that score. Also, keep checking to see who's filled in all tiles of a specific type, so they get the appropriate bonus tile. If you miss that, and both of you end up having completed all tiles of a type, it can be hard to remember who finished it first.

Oh, and the animal scoring can often be confusing to new players. Remember: You score (immediately on placing an animal tile in your estate) the value of the number of animals on the tile placed + the number of animals of the same type on any other animal tile in that region. The tiles in question don't have to be next to each other (so can be separated by a different animal type tile), but do need to be in the same region.

Resetting the central board each phase: Don't forget any remaining unclaimed tiles at the end of a phase are removed from that central board before the next phase's ones are put on.

Shipping: You get 2 points (in a 2-player game) PER goods tile shipped, but only ONE silverling in total, regardless of how many tiles you shipped [and you can only ship multiple of a single coloured goods tile at a time].

And finally - have the rulebook handy for lookup up what each of the yellow tiles does, as they are all unique.

Hope you and your fiance enjoy the game! It's one of my favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and one I forgot to mention to new players the last time I taught it: You have to place new tiles into your estate NEXT TO an existing tile. You can't just place anywhere on your player board.

It's also worth mentioning that all the actions a player can perform are listed on the player's board (bottom-right), and all the brown building-type tiles' actions are listed in the middle-left of that board too. Handy references!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing - it's very easy to forget that you're not allowed duplicates of buildings in the same building region. Unless you have the right knowledge tile, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A rule I kept getting wrong was regarding ships. When you place a ship, you take the goods from one depot. But, if you are unable to take some of the goods from that depot (no space, wrong color), you leave the ones you did not take behind in that depot.

And, also, don't forget that the starting player is responsible for placing that rounds good tile based on their white die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find yourself a good player aid in the Files section on BGG (there are a number of good ones) and have one close at hand for each player. You will need it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
njshaw2 wrote:
Shipping: You get 2 points (in a 2-player game) PER goods tile shipped, but only ONE silverling in total, regardless of how many tiles you shipped.

I never understood why they didn't put this information on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:

Oh, and the animal scoring can often be confusing to new players. Remember: You score (immediately on placing an animal tile in your estate) the value of the number of animals on the tile placed + the number of animals of the same type on any other animal tile in that region. The tiles in question don't have to be next to each other (so can be separated by a different animal type tile), but do need to be in the same region.

Good lord.

Product of being taught and thus not reading the rulebook closely. I had no idea they just had to be in the same region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Dunmire
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say it was seamless.... haha but I think we figured it out mostly and did alright with a player aid.

I can tell we could both get into it! just have to play a few more times to get into the swing of everything.

Thanks a ton for all the tips guys!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.