Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

The preview article for a Dark Star Falls is up on the FFG website:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/9/a-dark-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how Zyla is a different hero then the previous ones we have seen.

Starting movement of 4 and health of only 7!

Her Channel Chaos ability will help with checks, but here abilities 0-2-2 is be far the worst we have seen so far.

Transix is strong, but with her low health she might not live to to Round 2 in Act 2 combats.

Overall she feels like a nice balanced hero.

I am not super excited for the new scenario, since my main group is not big on PVP, but it will be nice to bring out when I play with my college friends at our yearly meetup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humm.. I really like the hero, but it bothers me that I'm likely going to buy an already overpriced scenario pack with no intention of ever playing the scenario.

I wonder if I can dream up a variant ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to get the Hero, but I will pass on this one since I am not a fan of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario looks great, though I do worry that people will just turn in all their visions for shards near the end to avoid corruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whats wrong with the scenario? bit talisman esque.. big hero fight?.. wonder if its 1 fight...a 2-3 or 4 way?
with choice of having corruption powers or not.. sounds cool and a good variant to always coop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
whats wrong with the scenario? bit talisman esque.. big hero fight?.. wonder if its 1 fight...a 2-3 or 4 way?
with choice of having corruption powers or not.. sounds cool and a good variant to always coop

I mostly play solo is why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stiltner
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that supposed to be the same Zyla from The Frozen Wastes? I don't remember her being a winged demoness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stiltr01 wrote:
Is that supposed to be the same Zyla from The Frozen Wastes? I don't remember her being a winged demoness.

She is certainly the same Zyla from Descent.

And the Zyla from The Frozen Wastes does appear to also be fae. She's got wings, at least, even though she seems to wield ice magic instead of the green fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:

Nothing really, and I welcome a PVP scenario for the element of our community it will serve. Sadly, I'm just not one of them. I prefer building things up competitively, not tearing them down.

As a (hero) completionist I expect to own this, so it's likely I'll try the scenario once or twice. Maybe it will win me over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Milarky wrote:

Nothing really, and I welcome a PVP scenario for the element of our community it will serve. Sadly, I'm just not one of them. I prefer building things up competitively, not tearing them down.

As a (hero) completionist I expect to own this, so it's likely I'll try the scenario once or twice. Maybe it will win me over.

Kind of in the same boat here. I know Runebound is a competitive game, but I prefer the idea of it being more of a race as opposed to a battle. Will still get this though, if only for the new character but will probably still play the scenario from time to time when I feel "confrontational".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you do multiple combat? I mean, in a 3-player game, you all go to the Cursed Ruins and duke it out, but who do you hit? Do you choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
How do you do multiple combat? I mean, in a 3-player game, you all go to the Cursed Ruins and duke it out, but who do you hit? Do you choose?

Wondered the same thing. I hate the idea of ending this game with a free for all battle. It just wouldn't lead to the best outfitted player winning because they would be targeted in 3+ player games.

I would probably come up with some tournament style rules instead, which wouldn't be hard to create for 3-4 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Milarky wrote:

I'm struggling with whether or not to buy this expansion. I mainly play the game solo (occasionally with others) so this PVP scenario doesn't appeal to me at all. I'd like to get the character and Adventure cards, etc. but it's difficult to purchase it when I will most likely never play the scenario. The completionist in me is really bugging me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of PvP scenarios either, but am glad that we're getting something different to the bog-standard "kill big monster before time runs out".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It looks interesting. Now I wish I would have just ordered it when I did the others.
I'm not sure about the pvp but Zyla looks neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else I just realized is that all of the Adventures cards will be scenario based, meaning that you only mix in those particular cards when playing that specific scenario. So for me about the only thing I would really use from the expansion is the hero. I can't see paying the cost for just a hero. If I can convince the completionist in me, I think I'm going to try and skip this expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the second edition is any clue, there will be a bagillion expansions and you can skip some of them and be just fine.

Personaly, I think they should have released all 4 of these expansions in one big box and charged ~$32.99. I don't understand why they separate them like this unless it's just to make more cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Finland
flag msg tools
I like it. More player interaction is always welcome. It doesn't have the downside of an abrupt ending like in the 2 base set scenarios. (Working hard to get gear to fight Margath, then another players kills him and you don't even get to give it a shot )

I got gilded blade but passed on the web expansion for the time being. Might even skip it entirely and just buy this one instead, looks quite a bit different than the other scenarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it today and I have to say I really, really don't like it. I'll never play it more than 2-player. The kingmaking is too off-putting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
I got it today and I have to say I really, really don't like it. I'll never play it more than 2-player. The kingmaking is too off-putting.

What about playing the end as a tournament instead? Round robin, etc.?

I just got my copy today and am also a bit worried about the "Kingmaker" aspect for 3+ player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems easy to come up with house rules to address most of the kingmaking, if it really bothers you. E.g., always attack the enemy with the most HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or only attack the player on your left
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I do understand people not liking the chaotic nature of a Free-For-All PvP affair, I do think a scenario like this was a must-have.

I actually got to play Corbin in a 3 player game the other day and really enjoyed getting to PvP. I think it's fun to face off against other players, and having a scenario which actively encourages it is definitely a good thing.

That said, if I play with 3 or 4 players I would also modify the final showdown to either a round-robin with whoever ended up with the most health left overall, or a play-off tournament. Maybe after that was done we could try the FFA just to see what happens.

FFA does introduce some diplomacy into the game, and some meta along with it. I can imagine bribing players to try and get them to leave you alone and eliminate the other player first. Some people will no doubt enjoy that in this just like they do in Risk or Monopoly (yes I know those are often considered flaws, but not by everyone). It was the obvious choice for the designers to make as the primary resolution in a PvP scenario, and it is thematic in a sense. It's just not satisfying for people who want the prior events and character development to have more impact on the final result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.