Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How important is the Atlas expansion? At first glance, it seems to offer some key gameplay elements (2 player rules, objective-based gameplay) as well as a load of heroes and so on.

But I also know that the extra bling on kickstarter games often amounts to unnecessary bloat, and can clog up rather than enhance gameplay.

Any insight from those who have the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I have honestly never seen such bloat on Academy Games games so I would say for them it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I play most of my games two player, it is my opinion that yes it is worth it.

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha.

Well, in that case, it makes this game a non purchase for me then.

They are selling the core game over here not only at a higher price than the kickstarter, but without the expansion included. So to get the actual full game, we're basically talking twice the price. Shame.

On the plus side, I guess it's good for the backers, even if delivered considerably behind schedule. Enjoy your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can view the 2 player rules on the academy games site. The barbarian faction is not needed, you could just proxy with one of the 3 factions you are not using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game 7 times now and the only content from the expansion we used was the Atlantis faction to play a 6 player game twice. The expansion is not really necessary unless you need a 6th player. (you can download the rules for 2 player games and proxy the barbarians if you want to play 2 player).

The other parts of the expansion are changes for experienced players to add extra options for military (Troy), trade (Syracuse), and political (Jerusalem) activities, and some alternate setups for games with fewer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 4 games so far and enjoyed them very much without the extras in the expansion except the additional 6th-player faction which we used in the first game we played.

I don't really consider this a two player game and the game is very enjoyable without the Objectives so the Expansion is not a must buy unless you always play this game with 6 players.

We are going to try playing with one of the Objectives in our next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the Objectives once and thought it added some fun strategic elements. Probably the 6th player (extra board) is the best reason to buy it, along with the whole mess of Heroes that come with it, which adds more options to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark,

I was fortunate enough to buy both the base game and the Atlas expansion at the WBC together, so the total price wasn't too bad. The expansion does add pieces for the 6th player (and the Barbarians which, as other have suggested, can be cobbled together using the pieces from the other 3 empires), plus 3 expansions which can be used separately or mixed together. In other words, lots of variations to choose from.

As far as the miniatures for the buildings and the chips for the commodities/coins, I'm fine with just the cardboard pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like any expansion, if you love the game and want more options then the expansion will be important to you. If you think the base game is perfect as-is, an expansion will be inconsequential.

For me, the expansion is very important, although in 8 plays I have only used its content (6th player) once thus far. I'm excited to dig into the different heroes, wonders, scenarios, and objectives offered in the expansion, but am in no rush to do so since the base game is great as-is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iraklis Stratigis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know where we can find Atlas expansion's rules? I didn't find them in Academy Games site. I have ordered the base game and the 2p rules would be usefull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spider4444 wrote:
Does anyone know where we can find Atlas expansion's rules? I didn't find them in Academy Games site. I have ordered the base game and the 2p rules would be usefull.

It is in the Academy Games Mare Nostrum Downloads section:
https://academygames.com/game-rules-mare-nostrum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Any word on when the Atlas Expansion will be available retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
TTM07 wrote:
Any word on when the Atlas Expansion will be available retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.