Subject: Official Rule Clarification from Pressman Toys rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent some questions I had and some raised on BBG to the Pressman Toy Corporation for clarification. Julie from Customer Service sent my questions to the Company president and the game developer. These are their responses.
==============================
Thank you for contacting us regarding your Oregon Trail game. I would be more than happy to help you on your journey! Please find the answers to your questions below:

Trail Cards
1) River card: “Roll an Even number to ford the river. Roll a 1 and die by drowning.” What happens then when the person rolls a 1 and dies? Would you take that to mean the river was forded, but lost that player to drowning? What happens if a 3 or 5 is rolled?

-When players are trying to ford a river and they don’t drown or ford the river play passes to the next player, who rolls to try to ford the river. This continues until all players drown or a player fords the river. No player may play another Trail Card until the river has been forded.

2) Town and Fort cards: Does the person that plays the card get the Supply Cards or can they be given to other players?

- The player who plays the Town or Fort is the one who draws and keeps the Supply Card. This Supply Card is treated like all other Supply Cards; it can be played instead of Trail Card to remedy a Calamity Card.

Calamity Cards
1) Please define a round. Example: there are 4 players A, B,C & D. Player C draws a calamity card and has one round to resolve it. Does the round end after Player D finishes their turn or after player B finishes their turn?

- One round (in this case) is whenever play returns back around to the player. So, it would be after players D, A, and B play their round again. In this case, the round is complete after Player C plays again. To recap, Player C draws a Calamity Card, ending her turn. Players D, A, and B play (either remedying the calamity or playing Trail Cards). Player C then plays another card, ending the round.

2) When a player draws a Calamity card which requires a supply card to resolve can that player immediately play the supply card from their hand or does that count as two actions playing a trail and supply card?

- The player may not play a Supply Card in the same round that they drew a Calamity card. The player must wait until their next turn, or for one of their other party members to use a Supply Card to remedy their Calamity. A Supply Card counts as a turn.

3) Is the only way to remove the first Inadequate Grass card played is by playing a Town Card?

- You are correct - the only way to remedy the Inadequate Grass card is to play a Town card. Hey - the Trail is harsh!

4) Wagon damage: When resolving an Wagon damage card the player that drew the card can either roll an 4,5,6 or roll an 1,2,3 and must they discard a Spare Parts card from their hand. If the player is not able to resolve the wagon damage card, how do subsequent players resolve the wagon damage?

- If the player who played the Wagon damage card rolls a number that doesn't repair the damage, one of the players must play a Spare Parts Supply Card to remedy the wagon damage. If no player has a Spare Parts card, and no one has at least 2 Supply Cards to trade to the Storekeeper to play a Spare Parts Card, your entire wagon party is stranded and the game is over as you all die. Bummer!

Thanks, and good luck out there on the trail!
Julie Doverspike
Pressman Customer Service

Edit: Follow on News: We are working on a FAQ page for our website, as well as more detailed instructions. It's great to hear from people who are actually out there playing the game as much as we did/do!
http://www.pressmantoy.com/oregontrail/

Update 18 Aug 16:
1)When players run out of Trail Cards, they pick five more from the Draw Pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
Huh, thanks for posting. Some of that's a bit different from what I was expecting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kaelin
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game several times and I still feel like the game is very lazy when it comes to the rules. Its like pressman knows the rules are crap and just say 'well, the trail is harsh, hurr hurr' to excuse poor gameplay.

I will say as soon as I saw 'pressman' on the box, it was an immediate red flag. They are not known for well crafted games. They primarily do mediocre license tie-ins. Which, I guess this game sadly fits that bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... The rules suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
Really liking this light co-op. What happens if you're trying to ford a river, and you roll odd and must lose a supply, and *no one* has any supplies left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Perry
msg tools
I have the same "ford the river, out of supplies" question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rogers
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mb
This came up in a session I played a few days ago with a party of six. We just ignored the penalty and kept on playing. The Trail may be harsh but logic still applies in the 19th century: if you're fording an empty wagon, there's nothing that can float off the thing (so throw us all a frickin' bone for once, Pressman...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t collins

Maine
msg tools
Did anyone test this game/rules before release!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.