11 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How long is a play through taking you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spain
msg tools
mbmb
Time is a big deciding factor for me with purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different scenarios have different time estimates.

I can't speak from personal experience, but the shortest estimate is 60-90 mins. The reality of that seems confirmed by posters, though always expect initial plays to be a bit longer.

Other scenarios are longer, but the app allows for saved states to be made (though this feature is currently broken).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To parrot what Anarchosyn said, all 4 scenarios in the base game have different play times listed. The longest one is 240-360 minutes. When I played that scenario, it took me around 3 hours, but I was playing it by myself and I tend to make decisions fairly quickly. If I was playing that one with a group, I could totally see it taking 4+ hours.

Which brings me to my other point, one's game group can play a large factor on how long it takes to complete a game. Some people make quick decisions, other people take forever. As a whole, I'd say there's no such thing as a quick game of MoM, which is okay because that's not what this game is. It's supposed to be an immersive experience and not something you just plop on the table and have at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
We were five people playing the first scenario, which has an estimate play time of 60-90 minutes as mentioned. However it took us around 5-6 hours, and we didn't even break the time limit of the scenario (beyond which it gets much harder). (The time limit isn't counted in time though, as far as I know it's rather counted in number of turns)

Also worth mentioning is that we read aloud the dialogue, and we also discussed different choices of strategy every now and then.

I'd warn that it takes noticeably longer time when being 4-5 players than the estimated time, but I also realize that we weren't the fastest players out there...so....uh...I hope that is some kind of answer for you at least
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game we played for nearly 3 hours. This was scenario 1 which is the shortest scenario that supposedly should take only 1-1.5 hours. Granted, we spent a lot of time referencing the rules and read and reread a lot of the ingame texts.

But do prepare for the possibility that your first game takes a lot longer than advertised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Girlfriend and I played the first scenario twice (lost, won (with some accidental forgotten evasions / fire checks)) - took us 3 hours per game! So the estimate the game has felt pretty low, upside is, seems like there's a lot of good hours in the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife played the first scenario in two hours (setup not included).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 hours for first play through of first scenario is about right, and honestly I hope FFG releases a bunch more scenarios that are only 90 to 120 minutes long to play. These epic 4 hour long adventures can be fun, but the shorter ones tend to get more players to join in...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the first scenario two times solo. First time took about 2 hours and the second time 1-1.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played escape to Innsmouth with 2P and it took 3hrs. We were trying to escape when the app bugged out. I would imagine the more you play each scenario and as your group gets familiar with what they are suppose to do, game time will decrease. Also the fewer the players could also equal a short playtime if there is less discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the first scenario last night. Four players. We were all new to this version of the game and two of us had experience with the previous edition. Took us a while to get into a rhythm and there were rules checks fairly often but in the end it took about 3.5 hours. I would guess that if we all knew what we were doing, playing the scenario would still take at least two hours so the 60-90 minute suggestion is way understated. I suppose if you just have two people playing and you just barrel through without reading much of the theme text and so on, you could do it in an hour but then what's the point of playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.