Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mandelberg
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played most of the first turn of the campaign scenario. We reset it because the Allied player forgot about his turn 1 reinforcements. So far, though, the system appeared to work reasonably well, with the powerful German 21st and 10th divisions surrounding then crushing forward units of the US 1st armor.

I'll try to take some notes as we take another crack at it in the days to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mandelberg
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first day (Feb. 14, 1943), the 10th & 21st Panzer divisions were able to get off there jumping point, and take their first VP hex, the town of Sidi bou Zid and had gotten to Sbeitla, but not yet taken it.

The victory conditions are interesting. There are VP hexes worth a variable number of points, depending on a die roll. Each time one is taken (or taken back), you reroll its value. There is a range of VPs predetermined for each turn, anything within that range at the end of the turn, and the game goes on, otherwise, one side or the other wins. It creates time pressure for the Germans, and forces the allies to hold terrain.

It's now coming to the end of the 17th, and the DAK has just entered the map from the south, chasing elements of the French IX corps and 1st US Infantry, which made a stand at Thelepte, but couldn't hold it.

The VPs stand at 15 - range for this turn is 11 - 24. The game ends on Feb 23. There is much work to be done.

For us, we have not found any of the concerns stated by the thread on the strategy forum. The German offensive has moved reasonably well, only slowed when it has met the strongest units of the US 1st armor, who can't be everywhere.

With regard to the Faid Pass scenario, it likely isn't balanced, but it's only a learning scenario, so that shouldn't be much of a concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mandelberg
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had to wrap up the game after the Feb. 18 turn (5 turns into a 10 turn game).

"Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up."

I find the game extremely engaging, with minimal downtime, and an "edge of your seat" feel, each turn, as both sides try to stay in the game. Furthermore, the way the system handles formation activation/command control is very effective at capturing a battle rhythm that seems (I say seems, since I have no personal experience to draw on) to capture important elements. Offensives are sustainable, though the German player does have to choose his battles so as to maintain his punch, at least through the first two thirds of the game, to keep on schedule. He faces an extended supply line, which causes some concern, but also suggests some interesting operational decisions, such as whether and when the DAK should link up with the other strong formations to the east.

I note that the next title in the new Gamers series, BCS, will visit this battle, and has some overlap in concepts (though with more detail). I've preordered and look forward to comparing the two. However, at least based on two for three games, this one is a winner, and deserves a lot more attention than it has gotten. If you don't have a copy, and are interested in the battle, I suggest finding it and giving it a whirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.