1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: FFG Sleeve Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This page* shows which sleeves you need, gray and yellow. Does the number indicate how many of each type? So 5 gray packs and 1 yellow?

*https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope no one minds me piggy backing on this thread, but I have never used FFG sleeves. Are they premium, or penny?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Premium. I use them for pretty much everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Sounds like they are Dragon Shield length, so it's Ultra Pros for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am such a sleeving noob. I'm unsure of the quality difference/preference between FFG/Dragon Shield/Ultra Pro or if they are even necessary for this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mostly personal preference. All three brands are great.

UPs have a little hologram on their sleeves that annoys some people, also if you get sleeves from different production runs, they can be a little wider (only a tiny bit, but you notice when putting the cards in a neat stack).

FFGs are a little too long.

Dragon Shields are the most expensive.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Annowme wrote:
or if they are even necessary for this game...

I do not understand the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is the extra length on the FFG sleeves THAT bad?

because i absolutely hate the damn hologram on my card sleeves.. one of the things that annoys me more than a cloudy sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Annowme wrote:
or if they are even necessary for this game...

I do not understand the question.

I'm typically not a sleever, so I simply wonder what the community opinion is regarding sleeves for LCGs, particularly this one as everyone anticipates playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as an LCGer... Some people like them, some do not. FFG requires sleeves for official tournaments though.

So, most people own at least one deck's worth of sleeves per LCG they play (or two in the case of Star Wars or Netrunner). Cards are mainly stored in boxes or binders unsleeved, and then put into sleeves for tournaments. Whether you put them in sleeves for casual play differs per person.

For me, I do not like sleeves. The feel and shuffleability of the cards is better without them. So, I only use them for tournaments. I still own a fair number of sets though because I play multiple games and I have to use them for playtesting as well when I have a printout card on paper and a "real" card as a backer for stiffness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone - I got behind sleeving LOTR LCG and still paying for it, literally. It was the first game I sleeved and played it so much wish I had done so when I first bought in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
I am such a sleeving noob. I'm unsure of the quality difference/preference between FFG/Dragon Shield/Ultra Pro or if they are even necessary for this game...

I've used all 3. Dragon Shields were my least favorite, as they seemed to crease the easiest. Led to permanent markings and constant resleeving.

I used FFG for a very long time and enjoyed them. They're noticeably longer than other sleeves, which can cause them to folder over at the corners easier. Again, marks the cards. Minor problem though, and I used them for a long time. The main reason I left them is that they eventually got sticky.

After that, I gave Ultra Pro a try and haven't gone back. The matte colored sleeves have a textured/pebbled surface that seems to make them slide over one another easier and stay clean longer. I don't mind the hologram (though I would not be sad if it disappeared).

I don't think I'm going to sleeve this game. Depends on how often you have to change your deck.

Quote:
So, most people own at least one deck's worth of sleeves per LCG they play (or two in the case of Star Wars or Netrunner). Cards are mainly stored in boxes or binders unsleeved, and then put into sleeves for tournaments. Whether you put them in sleeves for casual play differs per person.

This was me for Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always sleeve. Cards get wear on them even during the most careful of handling: when you shuffle your deck, when you move them on the table, when you arrange them in your hand, they all create tiny scratches that, over time, really add up, making your cards look worn, faded, and scratchy. I can't stand that, so I sleeve everything!

As for the topic, FFG sleeves are good looking and generally good quality, but too shiny for my taste. I use matte sleeves with a textured back. They are great, and best of all, many companies make them, so you don't have to buy Ultra Pro if you can't stand that ugly hologram. eBay is full of 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good insight, everyone. Thanks. I am not inclined to sleeve. Even my deck builders (Dominion-style, not deck construction) are unsleeved and... I don't really care.

Even changing up my investigator decks during construction doesn't strike me as something which will detract from the quality of the cards. Also, tournaments? What? Meh, call me a filthy casual, I'm sure I'll probably never attend an FFG event simply because I'm a hermit and don't get out much...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I used to sleeve. Then I got tired of paying, slippery stacks, difficulty shuffling, glare obscuring the artwork, and the overall disconnected feeling the sleeve brought. It was like my game was under glass.

In some cases the sleeves can cost nearly as much as a second copy of the game.

Anyway - I totally understand those that want to protect their investment. I thought I was one of those people, but after time it turned out I wasn't.

Try it and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LCG and CCG cards tend to wear a lot for tournament players like me. I don't play my boardgames nearly as much so for those I sleeve only on a case by case basis, but if I'm going to do Organized Play at all I think sleeves are a must. I used to sleeve up deckbuilders as well but I've noticed that when you don't do 8 round tournaments every few weeks you don't get to wear them out quite enough that I can justify the costs anymore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the only cards that are 41x63mm are those used to indicate which location an investigator is located in. Is that the case or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
Seems like the only cards that are 41x63mm are those used to indicate which location an investigator is located in. Is that the case or am I missing something?

Indeed, they appear to function in the same manner as a standee or miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only tiny cards I remember from the demo were the investigators. It was however, a demo so maybe there are more at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone actually know the card sizes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine I'll sleeve this the same way I do netrunner, only sleeving the current deck I'm playing.

jam gamers wrote:
Does anyone actually know the card sizes?

Fantasy flight use standard Poker/Magic card sizes. Their standard sleeves are 63.5x88mm though as people above mentioned they could be a smidge shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The ultra pros I have which I used for summoner Wars are 62 x 87.....wondering if they will fit....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's the standard size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.