Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a gorgeous if rugged region:

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21703411-movemen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last frontier, for anyone who is not judeo-Christian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
Survivalists urge survivalists to move to Montana/Idaho/Wyoming so they can survive the ends times....right on top of an active super volcano.

Smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Agree with Ferret -- it is gorgeous out there. But rugged ain't the half of it.

Despite what people may think of their politics, if those people who move there can actually make it work, my hat's off to them. It's really difficult to live out in the middle of nowhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Despite what people may think of their politics, if those people who move there can actually make it work, my hat's off to them. It's really difficult to live out in the middle of nowhere.

Once enough people live there, it won't be the middle of nowhere for very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Alaska is quite similar of course, and I presume there are areas of Russia equally as remote and untamed.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usual plea to at least provide some real context for the contents of the article somewhere in the OP. Your recent ones have at least had fairly self-descriptive titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
Usual plea to at least provide some real context for the contents of the article somewhere in the OP. Your recent ones have at least had fairly self-descriptive titles.

The link itself is relatively descriptive; I saw no reason to add or subtract from it.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:

The link itself is relatively descriptive; I saw no reason to add or subtract from it.

Ferret

Link is truncated after "movement" in your original post, making it somewhat irritating to actually read on PC and obnoxious to read on mobile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Then the leftists will get jealous of their success and move there to leach off their hard work!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Diabolik771 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Then the leftists will get jealous of their success and move there to leach off their hard work!laugh
]
With all due respect to the people involved, you'd have to be really, really stupid to do this kind of thing. Now, a lot of leftists are stupid and a lot of rightists aren't, so it might be a good way to get the stupid people out of the voting pool.

And before anyone asks ... a burst appendix is quite survivable if you live within 20-30 minutes of a hospital. If you're out in the wild, hours away from anything remotely resembling civilization, then your 12-year-old kid is going to die in agony from an appendix. Surviving in the wild is brutal, even with a ton of gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice places to go off grid. Sad that they seem to fill up with loons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
…And before anyone asks ... a burst appendix is quite survivable if you live within 20-30 minutes of a hospital. If you're out in the wild, hours away from anything remotely resembling civilization, then your 12-year-old kid is going to die in agony from an appendix. Surviving in the wild is brutal, even with a ton of gear.

My parents started a round the world sailing voyage when my youngest sister was only 6 days old. While part of me admires their spirit of adventure, there's another part of me who for reasons you mention thinks they were crazy and just got damned lucky no one died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

no doubt hey will be quick to ask for government grants to install power grids etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
no doubt hey will be quick to ask for government grants to install power grids etc.

You didn't read the article: they're putting in solar so they're off-grid. Of course, one of their doomsday scenarios is an EMP or solar storm, and solar cells are semiconductors--I can't really say how survivable the cells would be.

The other thing I thought was amusing was that one of the local "industries" was bounty hunting the people who really need to get away from government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
oldsin wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was in California for part of my vacation last month.

No arguments here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
oldsin wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was in California for part of my vacation last month.

No arguments here.

Cali is crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
AndrewRogue wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
oldsin wrote:

No arguments here.

Cali is crazy.

And Californians are damned proud of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
oldsin wrote:

No arguments here.

Cali is crazy.

And Californians are damned proud of it.

Hella proud of it. *wipes tears from his crazy, crazy eyes*

God bless our mess of a state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:

Ferret

Link is truncated after "movement" in your original post, making it somewhat irritating to actually read on PC and obnoxious to read on mobile.

It isn't on my PC, so I had no context to think it would be on yours.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Huh. How weird. Yeah, it truncates on both my phone and PC. Wonder if its a site setting thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
AndrewRogue wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Huh. How weird. Yeah, it truncates on both my phone and PC. Wonder if its a site setting thing.

Probably is. My PC shows the same thing as Ferret's, minus the wallpaper of Sarah Palin in a thong wielding a SAW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.