Subject: Spell Casting Hero Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
mb
This game looks great but for me a large part of the potential appeal is what spell casters like mages can do in this environment. Unleashing fireballs and lightning while teleporting on the board kiting ranks of undead would be so amazing.

I just really hope that the casters get more than one or two line abilities. Being able to customize a spell load of three or so that could lend your armies great versatility is the only thing I haven't seen that I greatly hope for. Xwings have EPT's please let spellcasters do amazing but different things to help set the lists apart.

How do you think they will handle casters in the game. We seen the models of the Mage and the Necromancer hopefully we get a preview artical on casters in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Would love to see this too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TL:DR - from the demo, I think spells and individual powers will be a big part of the game.

On your 'order' dial, you have blue actions (ranged attacks), red actions (melee attacks), yellow actions (I forget what these where), and green actions (others). Your spells mostly seemed to fall in the green/other category, and the dual dials allow the possibility to not only choose an action, but a modifier to that action as well. Certain actions are keyed to your character card, which have some text to explain your spells or powers.

On top of that, each turn you randomize a set of 'power modifiers' tokens that affect effect everyone on the board. So if your spell, for example, has a blue rune listed for it's strength, then the strength might be 1 on the first turn, and then 3 on the next.

Lastly, I think it would be very easy for FFG to put out variant command dials and character cards for units, allowing an easy way (and cheap) way to have different powers. Tourney promo cards maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jury's still out whether the spellcaster figures will be useable on their own or an upgrad to a rank-and-file unit. Or both.

Other than that, I have a suspicion their spellcasting ability might be tied to the runes you cast at the beginning the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonSilvarro wrote:
Jury's still out whether the spellcaster figures will be useable on their own or an upgrad to a rank-and-file unit. Or both.

I think this is almost a certainty. If you look at the heroes, they are on their own base section, but in their individual (Descent-sized) base is cut out, and they can be removed. Our demo guy told us that you will be able to take heroes and use them as upgrades in a block unit.

When you take damage, the defender normally chooses who to remove (typically starting from the back), but 'precision results' in your roll allow the attacker to choose which figure will take the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look closely at Kari, the figure on the left, you can see her individual base cut out of the larger base.

Ardus Ix'Erebus was the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.