Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure an expansion would make this game better, but I'm curious if anybody knows whether such an addition has been considered?

I own the mini-expansion, and the game has a lot of internal variability already, so it isn't a deal breaker. Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I'm not entirely sure an expansion would make this game better, but I'm curious if anybody knows whether such an addition has been considered?

I own the mini-expansion, and the game has a lot of internal variability already, so it isn't a deal breaker. Just curious.

I have been wondering the same thing, but since I find myself in exactly the same situation you find yourself in (+ mini expansion, that is), I came to the conclusion that the game really doesn't need an expansion. Which is exactly why it is so very good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this game doesn't need an expansion, but then again, many games didn't really need one, that did get one.

I'm thinking there might be a small expansion either late this year, but probably next year or so that just contains more city cards, contracts and characters. Probably a new item like the gold/spice/silk or the tokens from the mini expansion.

It might be like The Village where the expansion lets you cover up something from the main board with a new tile.

Or, there might never be a real expansion and just small goodies, like last years promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional characters are an obvious expansion, and they will probably come with power-relevant tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a character whose power is they start the game with 6 (one time use only) chits. Each chit looks like the single side of a white die. The chits are numbered with pips from 1-6. The chits work exactly like normal dice except their value can't be changed and once you,
use one, you lose it for the rest of the game. You can use as many chit dice as you want in a round but the more you use early on the fewer you'll have to use at the end. Maybe each chit you have left at the end of the game is worth it's pips in victory points.

Granted that's a guaranteed 21 points if you ignore your power but then you'd also have no super power to go against everyone else's so it could balance out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If another expansion is coming, my hope would be more small-city tiles, followed by more characters, and finally more big-city tiles.

I'm not sure I would buy a big expansion, but of course it would depend on what it had. Many expansions alter games in ways I never would have thought of, so I'll just wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I guess an additional, somehow different map would add replayability, maybe a part of the complete route with a smaller scale (sth. like China only) and different route characteristics.
Landmarks like Sumatra or the coin heavy Southern sea route influece strategies strongly - other unique places on a new map or other route costs would require other attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
Personally I guess an additional, somehow different map would add replayability, maybe a part of the complete route with a smaller scale (sth. like China only) and different route characteristics.
Landmarks like Sumatra or the coin heavy Southern sea route influece strategies strongly - other unique places on a new map or other route costs would require other attempts.

I think you hit it. New maps with minimal or zero rules changes could freshen the experience significantly after many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like SpaceTrucker's pitch. They could always do what Concordia did, release a new map along with a wild resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a new map included another type of action space - giving a new way to use dice - then the game could support a fifth player. Perhaps the map could be arranged with the starting location in the center, so players would have greater options for which direction to begin their travel. It would even be okay for cities to only offer space for four (or even three) trading posts, so players would have to prioritize and claim cities before the spaces are all filled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
Additional characters are an obvious expansion, and they will probably come with power-relevant tokens

This is in the mini-expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.