Viper .
msg tools
Is there any advantage to owning the 1st edition of Mansions of Madness as well? What extra (if anything) does it provide to 2nd edition? Because prices for the 1st edition are insane right now.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You probably double the number of tiles available to the app, add a load of monsters, and can use a bunch of new investigators.

But they are releasing them as a separate pack in the fall with all the above included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
Is there any advantage to owning the 1st edition of Mansions of Madness as well? What extra (if anything) does it provide to 2nd edition? Because prices for the 1st edition are insane right now.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks.

No. The 1st edition tiles, monsters and investigators will be released in two expansions later in the year (with 2 new scenarios to coincide with the content).

1st edition adds the three elements I referenced above only, but you'd also get the Keeper v Investigators play the 2nd edition naturally lacks (plus access to 1st edition scenarios, but those -- like the Keeper play -- can only be used with 1st edition content). Whether this is meaningful depends on your group / play temperament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More variety in investigators, monsters, and possible map layouts is about the only advantage.

No need to worry about the price of the first edition and expansions though, as later this fall FFG is release two expansions to 2nd edition that contain all of the compatible components from the 1st edition games. So you can just wait for those if you only want the components for use in 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
Okay cool. Since all of that extra stuff is coming out in expansions, there is no need to buy any 1st edition stuff. I'll just wait for the expansions.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advantage is you can play them in 1st edition. If you just want it for 2nd edition wait for the figure/tile packs to come out this Fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if I own 1st edition, then I will not need to buy the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemaster wrote:
So, if I own 1st edition, then I will not need to buy the expansions?

If you own 1st edition base game, you wont have to buy the first expansion.

If you own Forbidden Alchemy and Call of The Wild you wont have to buy the second expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, if you don't care about minis and don't mind sketching what the tiles that are shown in the app that you don't own, then you don't even need the expansions or 1e stuff to use the conversion kit stuff... that's just chrome that can be replaced with paper proxies and/or components from other games plus using just the raw counters for monsters (which have nice artwork on them anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.