Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I finally had a chance to demo this at Gen Con I was hooked only to be told they were sold out. At the time I said that was a good thing as I bought to much at the con. Now that I am home I really wish I was able to purchase this game. Any news on when it will be officially released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Online stores list it as end of August. I'm still going to wait for a review, or even better a playthrough, before deciding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen Zee Garcia's review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually I have now that you mention it! I'm going to watch it again because for some reason I remember it decreased my interest in the game a bit.

I still want a playthrough to get a good feeling of the gameplay and the dynamic between players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
for some reason I remember it decreased my interest in the game a bit.

How weird that you should say that...I felt exactly the same!
This is the still the top game I'm looking forward to for 2016 so I'll probably still get it, but from the way the gameplay was shown...well...I guess I imagined something different in my head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Erickson
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
publisher
Covert Spy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prrt949 wrote:
When I finally had a chance to demo this at Gen Con I was hooked only to be told they were sold out. At the time I said that was a good thing as I bought to much at the con. Now that I am home I really wish I was able to purchase this game. Any news on when it will be officially released?

September 14th is the updated release date.

Thanks for stopping by our booth and checking it out! I'm so sorry we didn't have a copy left for you but I'm sure you'll be able to find it at your favorite local game store or online.

Thanks!

-Sara Erickson
Director of Sales and Marketing
Renegade Game Studios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmpressGeek wrote:
Espinoza wrote:

For me it was the downtime he mentioned. The game still sounded fun but because of the amount of choiced you have during your turn downtime could be an issue and if there's one think I don't like in games it's too much downtime... But I hope to be able to demo this game in Essen to form my own opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I usually skim over the review part of reviews I tend to watch to see mostly how the flow of the game works and if I can imagine us playing. I am very rarely swayed by (either positive or negative) reviews, and even though Zee's tastes closely align with mine there are some games I love that he is not a fan of The downtime is not an issue for me because we plan to play 2 player so it shouldn't be too bad for us...

Well, I look forward to after Essen thoughts from people. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looked fun and since he said best with 2, maybe 3 it's still high on my list to get
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iced One wrote:
EmpressGeek wrote:
Espinoza wrote:

For me it was the downtime he mentioned. The game still sounded fun but because of the amount of choiced you have during your turn downtime could be an issue and if there's one think I don't like in games it's too much downtime... But I hope to be able to demo this game in Essen to form my own opinion.

I have to respectfully disagree with Zee's downtime assessment. I don't notice any excessive downtime (2, 3, OR 4 player, all of which I played LOTS). I find that I'm too busy puzzling out my own moves during other people's turns to feel any downtime. The only exception to this is when somebody blocks or otherwise messes with a player's plan. Then there may be a moment while that player refigures how they can otherwise achieve the same or a similar objective. There are often many ways to the same destination, if you can puzzle them out. Maybe Zee felt more downtime as new players may take longer to see the options, but in my opinion that is not the norm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
dipbubs wrote:
The Iced One wrote:
EmpressGeek wrote:
Espinoza wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree with Zee's downtime assessment. I don't notice any excessive downtime (2, 3, OR 4 player, all of which I played LOTS). I find that I'm too busy puzzling out my own moves during other people's turns to feel any downtime. The only exception to this is when somebody blocks or otherwise messes with a player's plan. Then there may be a moment while that player refigures how they can otherwise achieve the same or a similar objective. There are often many ways to the same destination, if you can puzzle them out. Maybe Zee felt more downtime as new players may take longer to see the options, but in my opinion that is not the norm.

So if a player is able to figure out what they want to do on their turn a little quicker than you can . . . they are going to feel some disappointing downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmpressGeek wrote:
Espinoza wrote:

This is the still the top game I'm looking forward to for 2016 so I'll probably still get it, but from the way the gameplay was shown...well...I guess I imagined something different in my head...

Count me as another one! Thank goodness. But right now I'm chalking that reaction up to Zee Garcia, rather than the game itself. I didn't really feel like I got a good explanation from Zee as to who would enjoy this game ... and who wouldn't. His review seemed ambiguous to me... just like the game right now.

That said, I just bought "City of Spies". Wow. By all accounts, this game looks to be an amazing spy themed game -- with the perfect flavor I was looking for.

But I'm still bummed because it would be great to have two good spy themed games in my collection. I went from firmly excited on "Covert" to completely undecided.

Waiting on reviewers that match my playing style/whims. In particular, GameBoyGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm waiting on my pre-order of City of Spies. I agree, it's a solid, well designed game, great art too. It clicked immediately the first time I learned about the game from the Essen coverage last year.

Regarding Covert: I believe I found the game a bit lacking mechanically. Zee's description of the game honestly bored me a bit. Seems fiddly also.

When I knew nothing about this game in my mind I was picturing a dice placement game similar to Voyages of Marco Polo but with spies! It's clearly not that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:

it would be great to have two good spy themed games in my collection.

Have you ever played I, Spy? It's a really good espionage game (set in pre-WWI Europe) that unfortunately a lot of people aren't aware of. It snuck in under the radar after a small KS campaign last year. Just a great fun game with lots of interaction - subterfuge, misdirection, deduction - that's totally worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the "Which spy game should I pick up at Gen Con?" camp heading into the con. I chose Covert for:
-art work
-Zee's explanation seemed like something my friends and I would like
-the dice placing limitation seemed like a cool thing

I don't want to sound ignorant and I may be off on this, but what I didn't like about looking over City of Spies: Estoril 1942 is:
-how the board looked with the big tiles placed
-the way I'd need to look at tiles and the smaller places on the tiles, and how the position of neighboring tiles impacted things, etc.

They both seemed puzzley (not a word, but I wish it was). But the Covert puzzle seemed waaaay more attractive to me than the City of Spies puzzle.

Now that I've played Covert a couple of times, I think I was right for me. I LOVE the way it looks. I like the way it plays, but I need to play it once with a full group who has played before. The code breaking specific puzzle of Covert isn't all that tricky, but finding the right way to use your movement, items, codes, cards, special power, etc. to complete missions is fun and definitely puzzley.

No one in my Gen Con group asked to play it again, but they all said they enjoyed it. As opposed to Terraforming Mars which we all liked a lot and definitely wanted to play again and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed Covert quite a bit. There is a bit of downtime I believe because of the combination of moves in the game: cards can be combined in various ways to achieve what you want. The upside is the game moves *faster* toward the end, not slower - because you can get the recipe for a mission much faster.

If you like figuring out the combination of plays, this game is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-F Audy
Canada
Chambly
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
rdbret wrote:

it would be great to have two good spy themed games in my collection.

Have you ever played I, Spy? It's a really good espionage game (set in pre-WWI Europe) that unfortunately a lot of people aren't aware of. It snuck in under the radar after a small KS campaign last year. Just a great fun game with lots of interaction - subterfuge, misdirection, deduction - that's totally worth checking out.

I totally agree with you! Covert and City of Spies will both be mine in a near future and they will be nice additions to Agents of Smersh and I, Spy which I love for different reasons! I, Spy is definitely one of the better spy themed game with a clever design and a great theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anto Bijelic
Croatia
Rijeka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How would downtime compare to something like Five tribes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antomon wrote:
How would downtime compare to something like Five tribes?

Five Tribes is worse as you have no idea what the board is going to look like when your turn comes up. This one you can plan ahead. You may not get your choice but there is planning you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:
Waiting on reviewers that match my playing style/whims. In particular, GameBoyGeek.

I'm not sure if this is the game you're looking for, Ryan, but GameBoyGeek did post a review.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/108287/covert/game-boy-geek-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dipbubs wrote:
rdbret wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the game you're looking for, Ryan, but GameBoyGeek did post a review.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/108287/covert/game-boy-geek-...

And what a great review it was... Excited!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did! I watched it within four hours after it came out. I immediately jumped to the end to see whether or not Dan liked it and he did. So I was hopeful. But GameBoyGeek (Dan) didn't really tell me how the game tied to the spy theme. And that was the main thing I was looking to have addressed. So I was just going to stay quiet and see what other people said in their ratings before deciding. The reason I haven't bought Codenames, for example, is because the spy theme really doesn't make a lot of sense for that game. It is a pasted on theme in my opinion. I definitely don't think that way about Covert. It clearly has spying elements to it. But for me, the question remains: How much spy theme?

But then in the meantime, I got the wildly AMAZING news that Restoration Games is possibly going to remake Conspiracy, which is what I was hoping for all along. Incredible! This was the game I was hoping Covert would be in January -- before I knew anything about the game.

Ironically, a remake of Conspiracy would actually make me MORE likely to buy Covert, because then I would have three completely separate game mechanisms under the spy theme banner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:
But then in the meantime, I got the wildly AMAZING news that Restoration Games is going to remake Conspiracy

I did not hear that Restoration Games has made any announcements yet as they were still working on obtaining the rights to games. Is there somewhere I can see this? I am excited about this company to see what they can do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prrt949 wrote:
rdbret wrote:
But then in the meantime, I got the wildly AMAZING news that Restoration Games is going to remake Conspiracy

I did not hear that Restoration Games has made any announcements yet as they were still working on obtaining the rights to games. Is there somewhere I can see this? I am excited about this company to see what they can do

Yes. You are correct. I missed in adding the words "possibly/probably" in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.