Subject: Looking for something different rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hallo

I recently acquired quite a few euros, and while it is definitely my favorite kind of games, I have gotten quite a few too many 'feed your worker placement' games

So I was looking for something different from those normal kind of games. I generelle do not like the most all out ameritrash games, but many hybrid games are very fun.

Preferably it should be something that works well with two players.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds - for a deckbuilder that is not just a deckbuilder.

Innovation - a game where every card is overpowered until they are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that are fun with 2 people and scale well to more are:

Android: Infiltration

Citadels (note, a nice looking new version is coming out)

These are both games that involve some sneakiness and back-stabbing, but aren't all-out war games.

Another good little game is:

Eight-Minute Empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemists is a worker placement with a twist. I think it fits well in the 'hybrid' category.
Islebound is definitely different enough from normal euros to earn a mention.
And my favorite game at the moment: Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I feel like I went through this exact same thing. I did quite a bit of trading and purchasing so that now I feel like I am at the point where every game in my collection is something I cant wait to play again. A couple of notables:
Scythe
Awesome game that feels like dudes on a map but has some excellent Euro mechanisms. Plays up to 5 but is great at 2 also.
Nippon
I thought this one was super fresh in the way you chose your action. Super fun and streamlined.
Signorie
Another really fun dice drafting game. Lots of ways to play. Fresh mechanisms.
Legends of Andor
Great coop game. Looks like ameritrash but plays very Euro. Games are tight and decisions are important.
Mombasa
Really fun if you enjoy unique style of deckbuilding as well as stock market and area control. No games out there like it.
Shadowrun: Crossfire
Coop deckbuilder. Everyone I play this with has a blast. You can build your character over plays. Multiple campaigns and its challanging nature keeps you wanting to come back. Plays rather quickly.
I plan to pick up Guilds of London as well. Im a sucker for multi use cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus seems not often mentioned on BGG but it is a light sci-fi trading game that plays well 2+ and also has a decent built-in solo mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Different?

Nature of the Beast: Prairie vs. Polar
Sylla (better with 3-4, though)
Near and Far (currently on KS)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Merchant of Venus

also

Rococo

Istanbul

Fresco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are few that I would recommend:

Twilight Struggle - exclusively 2-player game. It is a game of political struggle between CCCP and USA during Cold War, card driven. Excellent game.

Blood Rage / Scythe - dudes on a map with many euro mechanisms. Scythe is slightly better at 2.

Evolution is deffinitely different from anything you own. In this beautiful card game, you are trying to evolve your specie(s) in order to eat more food than your opponent(s). You constantly have to adapt to your opponent and environment (even more so in the upcoming stand-alone Evolution: Climate). It is just a perfect game that scales great, even at 2.

Five Tribes is called the worker dropment game and is different from anything I have ever played. It is very thinky and AP-prone, though, so only get this if you are playing with people who don't suffer from this. Great at all player counts.

If you like deck buildings, I have few to recommend. Valley of the Kings: Afterlife is an egyptian-themed game with a nice mechanism where you actually have to get rid of the cards from your hand to score points. My favourite d. b. Eminent Domain is a deck builder in space where you colonize or attack various planets, produce and sell goods and develop technologies. Very good. Super Motherload is actually a deck building game with a board - you drill tunnels on an alien planet which gives you different jewels that you can use to buy better cards and complete various objectives.

There is also Takenoko, the cute but very clever game. It is light euro game where you build garden, grow bamboo and eat it with a panda. Sounds childish but is actually very good.

Let us know if you end up getting anything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Polarity: a dexterity game of area control. What makes this different is that the areas are controlled by invisible magnetic fields!

Totally unique, it's my go-to dex-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.