$30.00
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What other Gateway games to Gateway games are out there? What others would you like to see?

Edit: I have recently created a Geeklist of all the "Junior" version of popular board games I could find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a girl that age as well. We're enjoying Tales & Games: The Three Little Pigs right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6/4/3 year olds really enjoyed Kids of Carcassonne. My 6yo has moved up to normal Carcassonne without the farmers and does well. I really want to try My First Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked the North Star booth at Gen Con 2016 and taught Evolution: The Beginning to several families with kids as young as ~5 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
What other Gateway games to Gateway games are out there? What others would you like to see?

Some games that might make a good transition:

Istanbul
Ogre
Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwaloo wrote:
I worked the North Star booth at Gen Con 2016 and taught Evolution: The Beginning to several families with kids as young as ~5 years old.

I saw this game at Target while picking up TtR: First Journey. It seemed that it was targeting kids, but it appeared from the back of the box that there was quite a bit of text on the cards. How did the 5 year olds you played with deal with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
Zwaloo wrote:

I saw this game at Target while picking up TtR: First Journey. It seemed that it was targeting kids, but it appeared from the back of the box that there was quite a bit of text on the cards. How did the 5 year olds you played with deal with that?

That's funny, their ability to read never occurred to me. Off the top of my head, I can think of two separate families with two kids that sat down. One kid was 5-6 and the other was 8-9, maybe. With the smaller kids, we went through the cards ahead of time and the parents and I described the card. Most of the defense cards are simply matching art, the Fat Tissue card means two food per card on the stack, Long Neck means three food, Fertile means a free card, Scavenger means you eat when Carnivores eat, Carnivores mean you eat other species. For the younger kids, it was mostly about matching mom and dad to eat their critters and telling funny stories. The younger kids were pretty quickly taking their own turns with just a few questions here and there.

The older kids (say 8-12) didn't seem to have any trouble at all. It's a less complex version of Evolution, but it's not specifically for kids. It's my new lunch game since it plays in half an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Longholes

Providence
Rhode Island
msg tools
My First Carcassone is good but inferior to the awesome Monster Factory.

I wanted my kids to like My First Stone Age, but they don't... ...

4 year old LOVED 3 little pigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumble in the House

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of any others that exactly match this category - these *are* the 'power 4' - but I wanted to say your gateway-to-gateway collection looks great! thumbsup

ETA- And to answer your question, I think the Forbidden Island/Pandemic duo belong on that shelf. Either that or we're due for a younger Pandemic Junior (My First Pandemic sounds awful!) albeit with a much gentler theme for ages 5+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:

One link that comes to my mind is that Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters is often mentioned as a streamlined version of Flash Point: Fire Rescue. Obviously it doesn't have that brand recognition....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
munchkin treasure huntgateways into munchkin. My daughter loves it! It takes the funny card aspect with fighting monsters, and helping your friends, but removes the "take that" aspect. (they are coming out with an alice in wonderland version of this soon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Dickman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
I don't know of any others that exactly match this category - these *are* the 'power 4' - but I wanted to say your gateway-to-gateway collection looks great! thumbsup

ETA- And to answer your question, I think the Forbidden Island/Pandemic duo belong on that shelf. Either that or we're due for a younger Pandemic Junior (My First Pandemic sounds awful!) albeit with a much gentler theme for ages 5+.

Clearly it should be about an outbreak of various strains of cold at grade school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that New York 1901 is a terrific gateway.

d10-1 It has simple rules.

d10-2 It starts out very open but gets tighter and has more difficult choices as the game progresses.

d10-3 There are good choices to be made. What parcels of land to claim? What buildings to build and where? How does this affect your future plans/opportunities? When do you demolish and rebuild? How does this affect your competition for Street majorities and Challenge bonus points.

d10-4 I think you could introduce this without the Street bonus cards and Bonus Challenge cards and then as players get more used to the simple mechanics and the implications of their choices you can introduce those bonuses.

d10-5 It is visually appealing, has nice components and you get a sense of accomplishment. In TtR you see the routes you've travelled. In this one you see the real estate empire you've built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintGiles wrote:
RenaissanceMom wrote:

Clearly it should be about an outbreak of various strains of cold at grade school.

Or head lice. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the obligatory Carcassonne, I played these with my son when he was 5:

Lift Off!
Tales and Games: the Hare and the Tortoise
Agricola: All Creature Big and Small
Small World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Legerski
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kodama: The Tree Spirits is a great game and something I have enjoyed with my 5-year-old. I have seen Small World recommended above but I personally found that one difficult to teach my little one.

Don't be afraid to adopt the rules to make games easier. For example, with Ticket to Ride, we play with the cards face up so everyone can see them. You can also drop the farmer when playing Carcassonne. You can alway drop these rule changes later on and your daughter develops mastery and it means that you don't have to waste money of junior versions of games that you won't play once she is older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Dickman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:

Well, it hasn't made it out of Germany (yet), but there's Scotland Yard Junior too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're just working on the first transition with SET Junior. My 5.5 year old is ready to flip the board and try the "harder" side (finally!) and then I'm looking forward to moving on to SET when he's ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Møller
Denmark
Copenhagen
København Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pusboyau wrote:
mbialeck wrote:

One link that comes to my mind is that Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters is often mentioned as a streamlined version of Flash Point: Fire Rescue. Obviously it doesn't have that brand recognition....

Ghostfighting treasure hunters is a great game! Really recommend it! Played it a lot with my then 6-7 year old, but he has now moved on to Forbidden Island which itself is a gateway to Pandemic :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allie Tyndall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxxor wrote:
pusboyau wrote:
mbialeck wrote:

Ghostfighting treasure hunters is a great game! Really recommend it! Played it a lot with my then 6-7 year old, but he has now moved on to Forbidden Island which itself is a gateway to Pandemic :-)

+1 to Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters. We featured it in a ninth birthday party for our son, in German, with a halfway house between the easy and difficult rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Castle Panic is a great gateway to co-op games in general. We've played both that and Forbidden Island with kids as young as 4.

Mice & Mystics or Hero Kids are both good intros to role-playing. Mice & Mystics is more all-inclusive, but also more reading and strategy; there are some very stripped-down modules of Hero Kids suitable for non-readers (as long as you have an adult GM).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.