Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liebe Spielfreunde -

How do you say 'bicycle kick' in German? (like Klaus Fischer 1982 World Cup). I haven't been able to find it in a quick look at the internet.

Vielen dank!
Deb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Fallrückzieher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! The 'Fallrück' part makes sense to me - but I wouldn't have guessed 'Zieher'.

(Sorry to post a non-game related question.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time try leo.org or dict.cc

Very good dictionaries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Thank you! The 'Fallrück' part makes sense to me - but I wouldn't have guessed 'Zieher'.

You separated it wrongly: it is "Fall" and "Rückzieher". Which means doing something which is drawing backwards ("zurück ziehen" or "nach hinten ziehen") while falling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learned, that Fallrückzieher is "bicycle kick" in english!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolle_Petterson wrote:
debwentworth wrote:

You separated it wrongly: it is "Fall" and "Rückzieher". Which means doing something which is drawing backwards ("zurück ziehen" or "nach hinten ziehen") while falling.

Just seeing this - thanks, that makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papadjango wrote:
Just learned, that Fallrückzieher is "bicycle kick" in english!

And I just learned what a 'scorpion kick' is. Very impressive thing to watch....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Wolle_Petterson wrote:

Now the funny part is that - when it's done sideways - it's called a "Seitfallzieher". What does that tell us a) about its semantics and b) what is it called in English? "Horizontal bicycle kick"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
debwentworth wrote:
Wolle_Petterson wrote:

Now the funny part is that - when it's done sideways - it's called a "Seitfallzieher". What does that tell us a) about its semantics and b) what is it called in English? "Horizontal bicycle kick"?
I never thought about "Seitfallzieher" but the semantics don't seem to make sense. Fallrückzieher has "(zu)rückziehen" in its word, at least the online dictionaries say so. While Seitfallzieher has "zur Seite fallen" in its word. But then there is "zieher" left, which is not really a word on its own.

They should have called it "Fallseitzieher" oder "Seitfallrückzieher".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wolle_Petterson wrote:
I never thought about "Seitfallzieher" but the semantics don't seem to make sense. Fallrückzieher has "(zu)rückziehen" in its word, at least the online dictionaries say so. While Seitfallzieher has "zur Seite fallen" in its word. But then there is "zieher" left, which is not really a word on its own.

They should have called it "Fallseitzieher" oder "Seitfallrückzieher".

Hm, it's a while since I studied linguistics and I was never really good at it.

But why shouldn't "Zieher" be a word on its own? It's a noun derrived from "ziehen" and would describe the person doing it or the act itself.

Also, "Seitfallzieher" seems fine to me. Its structure would be Seit-fallzieher - with a "Fallzieher" decribing the act and the movement.

However, these aren't words that people use very often - so that any conventional use could be established. I guess these terms were rather coined by sports journalists - who didn't care too much.

Also I don't think, one could argue that any of those terms is more "right" than others.

Fallseitzieher would have worked along Fallrückzieher, and Rückfallzieher along Seitfallzieher, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Rückfall is a word in its own rights and people associate something different then. Maybe something to "zieh Rückfälle"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My activities with soccer are limited to managing my fantasy team and cheering/yelling at the tv. I don't know a term for Zeitfallzieher in English. I asked a couple of friends who actually play soccer, and they don't know of one either. I guess we just say side kick.

Interesting discussion! I love those long German compound nouns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Zeitfallzieher in English

time-case-puller?

scnr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Zeitfallzieher
You need a DeLorean for that

Speaking of compound nouns: if you actually score using a bicycle kick, it is a "Fallrückziehertor". Our language is great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your language is great indeed! I have a photo of a shop with a sign "Fussbodenschleifmaschinenverleih" on my Facebook page and the caption "this is why Germans don't play Scrabble".

By the way, a soccer-playing friend just told me that we call it "scissors kick". That's very descriptive, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Your language is great indeed! I have a photo of a shop with a sign "Fussbodenschleifmaschinenverleih" on my Facebook page and the caption "this is why Germans don't play Scrabble".

While I don't like playing scrabble at all (because I want to create the coolest words and not four-letter-words with triple score), I guess German is a great language to play Scrabble. With all those grammatical features you can score a ton by adding just one letter to a word several times, e.g.:

lauf - run (noun or imperative form)
laufe - run (inflected form)
laufen - run
laufend - running (also: ongoing)
laufende - running (inflected form)
laufender - running (inflected form), also: running person

debwentworth wrote:
By the way, a soccer-playing friend just told me that we call it "scissors kick". That's very descriptive, I think.

It is. Much more so than bicycle kick I'd say. If you execute a Rückfallzieher as if you were pedalling, that'll be ridiculous...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:

Actually, Scrabble in German works pretty well (like Tim mentioned).

However, Word on the Street is broken in German unless you add some house rules (e.g. no more than 5 syllables).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd love to try Paperback, but word games really need a language-specific edition.

Y for example is much more common in English than in German - so it's odd that there are a couple of them (as cards or tiles) and you only score a few points for them - while the opposite is true for K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Paperback for a while but traded it. I got tired of people playing a group of letters and saying 'is this a word?'.

I actually have a German version of Scrabble, jokes aside. I find it really hard to play, though - too difficult to switch the brain over to the 2nd, less fluent language. Likewise, I made it through only one game of Words with Friends in German.

At least your language is more phonetic. Try pronouncing these quickly:

Tough
Though
Trough
Through
Thorough
Thought

Then again, at least we only have one word for THE rather than six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:

Then again, at least we only have one word for THE rather than six.

It's three, not six

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Des, dem, den...

Can you imagine how hard it is for us English speakers? Let's say I want to say 'the skunk' in German. I have to do a mental lookup in my 2x3x4 memorized table (singular vs pleural, gender, case) to find the correct word For THE.

And if that wasn't bad enough, if there is an adjective after THE (e.g. The angry skunk) I have to do a mental lookup in another 2x3x4 table to pick the right ending for the adjective.

How do you do it?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Des, dem, den...

Can you imagine how hard it is for us English speakers? Let's say I want to say 'the skunk' in German. I have to do a mental lookup in my 2x3x4 memorized table (singular vs pleural, gender, case) to find the correct word For THE.

And if that wasn't bad enough, if there is an adjective after THE (e.g. The angry skunk) I have to do a mental lookup in another 2x3x4 table to pick the right ending for the adjective.

How do you do it?!

That's just declination. Still the same word.

How we do it? Growing up with that shit. I mean I don't mind the gendering at all (except when translating rules...), but the inconsistency with the natural gender of something and the genus of the word is pretty annoying. On top is the girl which uses it, but the boy uses he.

And I learned Latin in school which has some more cases. But when wie say Stinktier, everyone knows that it's nothing cute like you might think with the name skunk even if you never heard anything about it.

Edit:
Oh, and if you want to annoy your German teacher, write an article about yogurt, using Der Joghurt, die Joghurt and das Joghurt all over the text and explain that all three versions are allowed (though you should be consistent in a single text).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Stein
Germany
76133 Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Des, dem, den...

How do you do it?!

Well said. But have you ever had a look at an "grammar table" for Hungarian?! 2x3x4 is a joke compared to it... :-D

And they (the Hungarians) do it like this: We just take the suffix that sounds best...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
That's just declination. Still the same word.

Oh, inflected forms can be counted as words, too, depending on definition, of course. In fact, there - to my knowledge - no widely accepted definition of what a word is. Not to talk about the comparison of different languages.

I'd struggle to give the answer myself, but you can argue about the number of "words" in the following sentence:

"Wenn hinter Fliegen Fliegen fliegen, fliegen Fliegen Fliegen hinterher."

Is it 9? Is it 6? 5? 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.