Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I'm usually pretty good about finding games, but this one has stumped me.

My wife really enjoys World War II history, and I was hoping to find a game that would capture the bits about it that she likes so much.

She is NOT interested in wargames or the actual 'war' part of World War II. No dudes on the map, no army movements, etc. She's more interested in the political part, the influence, intrigue, history, etc.

I was thinking something like Twilight Struggle, but the Cold War isn't as interesting to her.

Requirements:
-Medium weight. I want it to be interesting enough that there are decisions to make, but no ultra complexity.
-Strong WWII theme that comes through. Not the war part.
-Plays well with 2 players. Will likely only be played with 2 players, so best at 2 would be best.

Thanks in advance for the help, y'all. I'll give a GG tip to the winning suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
    World War I is far more interesting. Look up Wings for the Baron (second edition) and run it by her. If she's willing to expand her horizons a bit it's one hell of a game.

S.

P.S. The other that comes to mind for me is Berlin Airlift which isn't out yet and is after the war, but I enjoyed play-testing it a year back.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played it (but did almost P500 it): Churchill seems like it's in the right direction ... except that it really wants 3 players.

And I'd suspect anything modeling the politics (e.g. Triumph & Tragedy) is going to do best with more than 2.

I'm keeping an eye on Cataclysm: A Second World War but also haven't P500-ed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
Never played it (but did almost P500 it): Churchill seems like it's in the right direction ... except that it really wants 3 players.

And I'd suspect anything modeling the politics (e.g. Triumph & Tragedy) is going to do best with more than 2.

Good suggestions. I'd also recommend Origins of World War II (an oldie but a goodie).

But again, all of these do best with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:

I'm keeping an eye on Cataclysm: A Second World War but also haven't P500-ed it.

Yeah this seems like the right idea, but 2 player is a must.

Thanks for the suggestions y'all, keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but I have heard good things about City of Spies: Estoril 1942. It may be what you are looking for. It plays 2-4 players. I believe Rahdo did a run-through for it so you may want to take a look at that since he is big on games being playable for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought in response to your search was Operation F.A.U.S.T.. Unfortunately, it has a 3 player minimum. Sorry. Wonder if there is a 2-player variant...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
After an advanced search, it seems like these might be the closest matches:

The Manhattan Project
Churchill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Churchill - fascinating game, easy rules but lots of decision points, great history, and although it is 3-player, there are bots if you are short-handed (ie. you can easily play with 2 players).

Another interesting looking one is Set Europe Ablaze: The Resistance War 1939-1945, which is about espionage and resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm keeping an eye on Cataclysm: A Second World War but also haven't P500-ed it

I think Cataclysm will be amazing, but it's still a wargame. A lot of politics and economics, but still actual maneuvering of (very high-level, as in each major nation has like a dozen total units combined of air, sea, and land) forces, unlike Churchill where the ops-for-issues mechanic is most of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Quartermaster General or 1944: Race to the Rhine? Both seem more medium weight than Churchill. Still, Churchill is the only one of these I played and I loved it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rlux202 wrote:
How about Quartermaster General or 1944: Race to the Rhine? Both seem more medium weight than Churchill. Still, Churchill is the only one of these I played and I loved it

I was going to recommend 1944: Race to the Rhine, but he said no troop movement, so I thought that ruled it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would either of these fit your needs?

Black Orchestra
Covert

Good luck. Soooooo jealous your wife will play WWII anything with you.

Edit: Sorry, thought Covert was WWII, but it's close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooz wrote:

Good luck. Soooooo jealous your wife will play WWII anything with you.

Well, we're not there yet laugh. Gotta find the right game first.

I'm really having a hard time with this. It's gotta be two players. Maybe such a thing doesn't exist yet, which I suppose makes me feel a little better about not being able to find it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Normandie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derp wrote:

I own this and have never played it, but isn't it primarily a combat game..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
derp wrote:

I own this and have never played it, but isn't it primarily a combat game..?

Sure is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-WWII: Democracy under Siege, released as a PnP first, but have gotten a commercial release recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.