Subject: End of Game Scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Berger
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Overall, I understand how to tabulate the final score, but when you lose, how do you handle the scoring of the losing battle in front of you?

For example, you didn't beat the face up hazard card, so that should go back to the hazard deck and count for -3. Should the rest of the face up Robinson cards go to the Robinson discard pile and be added up by their fighting value (-5 for aging cards)? Should any cards that were destroyed in the final round go the destroyed pile and not be counted in the scoring?

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I think since you lose the battle resolves as a loss and destroyed cards are removed. Other than that hazard to hazard, used fighting cards to discard and tabulated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoogoryBoogory wrote:
...but when you lose, how do you handle the scoring of the losing battle in front of you?

I don't bother with it. A loss is a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
GoogoryBoogory wrote:
...but when you lose, how do you handle the scoring of the losing battle in front of you?

Agreed. By similar reason, I long ago quit bothering with scoring won Friday games too. A win is a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Sphere wrote:
GoogoryBoogory wrote:

Agreed. By similar reason, I long ago quit bothering with scoring won Friday games too. A win is a win.

Logically sound, but for me winning and losing aren't mirror image values. When I win I tote up the score; when I lose, I usually want to set it up quickly and take another whack at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Logically sound, but for me winning and losing aren't mirror image values. When I win I tote up the score; when I lose, I usually want to set it up quickly and take another whack at it.

Yep, ultimately logic doesn't apply in these decisions.

E.g. I don't know why I don't care any more about computing my score in Friday, but when I win a Victory Point Games States of Siege Series solitaire game, I fairly often do compute my score. The mysteries of gamers' brains!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Quallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
GoogoryBoogory wrote:

I also don't score losses anymore. However, for those still figuring out the nuances of actually 'winning' the game, I 100% agree with scoring every game--even losses. It provides a general metric for performance. After several (several!) games of taking scores, I could start to watch for what strategies worked and what didn't over the course of several games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a similar question in this thread: Losing Game Immediately - Are Destroyed Aging Cards Gone?

The real question is how to count cards destroyed in the last unsuccessful fight.

sphere and russ gave similar answers there as they did here.

I think that the prevailing opinion there was that the benefit of scoring losing games was dubious but that, in such a case, these destroyed cards should not count for end-game scoring.

I have be tracking my score in both winning and losing games in a geeklist (link in the other thread). I feel that, while ones score in a winning game may indicate how well one did in that game, the score in a losing game is more of an indication of how early in the game the loss occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youren
United States
Lincoln City
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
russ wrote:
Sphere wrote:
GoogoryBoogory wrote:

Yeah, baby>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question for you experienced castaways...

Got this great game a week ago, and just defeated it for the first time today! Against the 7/25 pirates and the 10/52 pirates!

But I'm not crystal clear on scoring (never bothered to score my losing games). Step 1 is Take all your fighting cards (all cards from your Robinson stack and Robinson discard pile) and add all the fighting values.

Does this include the Robinson cards in my tableau (i.e. the cards that have just defeated the last pirate)??

Cards in tableau at game end = 29 pts
Cards in Robinsons stack and discard pile = 1 pt
Defeated pirates x2 = 30 pts
Life points remaining x5 = 25 pts
Undefeated hazards x7 = -21 pts
FINAL SCORE = 64 pts

Is this correct? If I don't include cards played, my score is a more modest 35. googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You count all cards in your deck, including those in the draw pile, in the discard pile, and on the table having been used in the last fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
You count all cards in your deck, including those in the draw pile, in the discard pile, and on the table having been used in the last fight.

Thanks, was hoping so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe aging cards all count for -5, so you should split your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
I believe aging cards all count for -5, so you should split your deck.

Quote:
Cards in tableau at game end = 29 pts
Cards in Robinsons stack and discard pile = 1 pt
Defeated pirates x2 = 30 pts
Life points remaining x5 = 25 pts
Undefeated hazards x7 = -21 pts
FINAL SCORE = 64 pts

These points take in to account any aging cards (-5 points each) present in the respective tableau, stack and discard piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sytske van der Sluis
msg tools
I have a question about scoring a certain (loosing) state I've now ended up in twice. It's when you loose because there's no more card to play as opposed to no more green tokens to pay for them.

You could argue to need to reshuffle my empty draw pile and keep adding in ageing cards till, but still then I'm left with a final state with not enough point cards to kill the last pirate.

Would you score adding points for the tokens, just bypass them since you lost or maybe something entirely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sytske wrote:
You could argue to need to reshuffle my empty draw pile and keep adding in ageing cards

Why would you do that? Once you've drawn one card, you can stop the battle whenever you want.

Quote:
I'm left with a final state with not enough point cards to kill the last pirate.

And so you lose, indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.