Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I saw tidbits about Giga-Robo! a year or so ago, and filed it to the back of my brain. The KS surprised me, and while it's rare I back something without knowing about it months in advance (especially just after the Millennium Blades reprint and the upcoming Glorantha...), I backed it immediately.

Just having the unique situation of being a (heavily-playtested) variable power player-driven skirmish game that focuses on a single character rather than splitting your concentration between a bunch of expendable troops well, there wasn't really any other option!

How about you guys, why did everyone back Giga-Robo!? (Exclamation mark required!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme!!!!

I hadn't seen Giga-Robo before the campaign. I noticed it on the first day because it shot up on the hotness list on BGG. It was called Giga-Robo! so as soon as I saw that I knew it would be something I should check out. I've been a giant robot fan since I was a kid. It is probably one of the few fandoms that has persisted since I was young. I go back and try and experience a lot of the stuff I loved as a child and nothing holds up as well for me like a good Giant Robot show.

I reviewed the campaign page and was immediately impressed with the amount of work that went into prepping for the campaign. They had rules, a demo, artwork, music, reviews, playthrough videos ... Basically I knew what this game was before ever getting it into my hands. Then I looked over what the game was promising and if they talked about shipping and where it was being printed. I thought the campaign looked realistic (I've seen plenty of unrealistic campaigns crash and burn). All that combine made we want to back this project and push it as hard as I could. It's a theme I love, a game I find fun and a team I trust to deliver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I was watching some videos of Gundam Breaker 3 (customisable robot videogame), because I had been talking about it with a friend.

I had recently - for similar reasons - watched a few episodes of Gundam Build Fighters (anime about custom-built robots smashing each other through various environments).

Suddenly, on my "recommended videos" feed, a link popped up - from a channel I've previously watched some videos about the X-Wing miniatures game - showing gameplay from something called "Giga-Robo!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFREGfxK34w

It looked cool, and like it suited the tone of what I had been interested in lately. My first thought was "this might be neat, but will it keep me interested?" The more I dug into it, the more impressed I was with everything I was seeing.

I literally created a kickstarter account in order to back this game, and the excitement for it hasn't let up since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found out about Giga-Robo! while browsing BGG. They had an ad for it along the left-hand side. And I'm usually not one to click on web-based ads, but I've been such a fan of giant robots for the longest time (literally since I was 4 or 5 years old and I first played with a Voltron toy) that I just had to click and find out more about it.

I read about the Kickstarter campaign, and while I have lots of gamer friends that have a long history of backing games on Kickstarter, I've never actually backed anything major on the site before. The more I read about the game, the more interested I got.

It wasn't just an amazing theme, but what seemed to be a very well balanced and unique duel. I knew my game group and I would be interested in it since we like games that have high decision-making opportunities and combo stacks of actions. Plus it having a high variety of game modes (1v1 combat, Team combat, Free for All combat)means we can spend lots of time with it!

And the rest was history. I can't wait to get my hands on this, but take your time...I know you'll do it right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dowell
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I almost completely missed out on Giga-Robo, actually. I had been following a different project on Kickstarter, and noticed that some people had mentioned Giga-Robo a few times.

So, out of curiosity, I looked up Giga-Robo and skimmed over the page. While I was intrigued by the game? I was on the fence and decided to sleep on it. *laughs* Well, I almost slept on it for too long and I came back to it with only a day or so left to hopefully come to a decision...

My love for Giant Robots and Mechs in general drew me back just in time. I read the page thoroughly this time, discovered that I really liked what I was seeing, hopped off the fence and went all in. This game just looked way too awesome to pass up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe P
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Facebook!

I follow Ash on Guerrilla Miniature Games, and his Let's Play on GR came up on my feed. After watching that video, following up on the KS page, and was impressed by the amount of prototyping and playtesting done already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just browsing the new Kickstarters. I was immediately impressed by the long cycle time, the obvious passion of the creator, and the polish of the art and graphic design. Still, I was curious for more detail. I appreciated the tabletopia demo but I browse on a Chromebook and can't run Tabletopia.

I needed to see the rules- Provided, great. I read through them and watched the video, and it felt pretty solid. When Alex and Steven provided the spreadsheet so we could actually try making our own builds, that's when I was sold. That sort of transparency is something rarely seen on kickstarter. They presented their idea IN ENTIRETY. There have been games I have backed that were earlier in the design process, and some of them came out great. But this game relies on the combination of Robot and Pilot being interesting no matter who you choose, and I was not convinced that was really provided for until I saw the spreadsheet. I haven't seen the two Zoider pilots, Terroch Arkan and Singh, but I have seen enough of the team's design chops to trust them. They have answered every question I've had thoughtfully and thoroughly.

I tried to interest my brother as I know he's a big Neon Genesis Evangelion fan, and his reply was that he didn't think it was worth 70 bucks for four figures and cards. It was a shock to me, actually. I can see his view, but I look at value a different way. I look for a game to do something that nothing else in my collection can, or to do it significantly better. I look for replay value and cohesive mechanics. I want a theme that excites my imagination and the folks at my table too. I want a game that sets up and tears down quick, without excess chips and chits everywhere if possible. Less is more. In the market today there's a lot of choices and I have learned to look for exactly what I want, without compromise. If you are patient, it will come. It's a big market. Giga-Robo is one of those. Solid mechanics, brilliant theme, tremendous replayability. With Giga-Robo's complete transparency I'm more sure about this game than I could be in a store with the box in my hands! I KNOW the game that I'm supporting. It's the opposite of what people usually think of when they think KS, and I'm very happy I had a chance to support such forthright creators. I hope this will become a trend.

BTW, bro, it's not 4 figures and cards anymore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanics!

A man may be smartly dressed, but if he has no skeleton beneath his skin, then his flopping and gurgling and precipitously dying do no credit to his tailor. It is the much the same with board games.

Giga-Robo caught my eye because of the theme, and watching some preview videos convinced me that the core tactical gameplay looked fun enough. But where I really got interested was when I realized the scope of what Cardboard Dynamo was trying to do with its customization options - this was not a fight between four robots, but between 20 robot/pilot combinations, with upwards of 600 unique ability configurations and thousands of possible deck builds. But at the same time, once you pick a pilot and robot, the decision space narrows to the point where you could plausibly throw a build together right before a game, without being overwhelmed with options.

What really kept me in, though, was that Cardboard Dynamo seemed like exactly the sort of developers who should get kickstarter support. I like to back new talent who really need the help, but they have to convince me that they're not starry-eyed kids with no practical knowledge of how to manage crowdsourced funds or get a game published. Cardboard Dynamo were open, transparent, communicative, seemed to have done their homework, and they passed a key test I watch for during campaigns - they repeatedly refused to say or do things that would have brought in more funds, because they weren't sure if they could deliver on those promises. I look forward to watching their progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I was, just browsing the BGG forums like most days. Suddenly, I felt something inside. A warm, glowing feeling, power of some sorts. In a flash, I saw the past, present and future, merged into one. I knew my destiny, my calling, the essence of my being. It was to defend the universe from impending onslaught by a species so vile they would abuse the very life force of others for their own benefit.
So I did what anyone in my place would have done... I continued browsing BGG.
And then it hit me! The sidebar ad for GIGA-ROBO! Suddenly everything snapped into place, and I knew I had to. There was no other option. I backed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Why did I back Giga-Robo!?

I wanted a new Tabletop Miniature Game. Wanted to help a new company/game so went to Kickstarter. Giga-Robo! was not my first choice but, after my bad experience with my first choice, I thought I'd have a look.

Wow!

Well presented campaign with downloadable rules, videos, reviews, images of the models themselves. Very professional and organised. Yet the best part was I felt I was helping a geek to realise a dream, not a business looking to make money. That's what I wanted most of all. Not only have I invested in a cool game, I'm also getting cool art too. Those images rock!

The creators love this. That love comes across in every comment, update and video. It was infectious to the point of making me enthusiastic about what they were offering.

Then there is the community. You lot! Your comments helped feed the enthusiasm. If I said "I've no intention of signing up to Board Game Geek", you get an idea of how much positive influence you exert. I did my small part for the social goal because of YOU.

If it wasn't for all these positive waves man, I'd not be a backer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.