Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Void OP with a themed fleet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
At the end of this month my local store's doing the The Void OP event at 120 points. If you've not seen or played it, you can take a look at the rules here.

Now, I'm the kind of player who likes to play with themed fleets. My store requires "penalty pure" fleets but I tend to take it a step further and usually play "fleet pure" of my own accord. For The Void I want to take it step further; since it's based on a Voyager episode that occurs in the Delta Quadrant, I want to use a Delta Quadrant-themed Federation fleet. Now, if we assume that the events of either or both of Caretaker and Equinox went slightly differently, that would leave me with the option to run any out of the USS Voyager, the Delta Flyer, the USS Equinox, and the Val Jean. Also, other than Elite Talents (which I feel can be stretched a little), I'm also going to limit myself to only use upgrades from those four expansions.

With these limitations in mind, I've come up with the following two fleets that I'm considering running:

U.S.S. Voyager [30]
- Kathryn Janeway 8 (Captain) [5]
- The Doctor [3] [Tech]
- Photonic Missiles [3]
- Emergency Medical Hologram [2] [Crew]
- Seven of Nine [4] (Delta Flyer)
- Noah Lessing [2]
Ship Total: 49 SP

U.S.S. Equinox [20]
- Rudolph Ransom 4 (Captain) [2]
- Unimatrix Shielding [5]
- Tom Paris [4] (Voyager)
Ship Total: 31 SP

Delta Flyer [20]
- Tuvok 5 (Captain) [3] (Delta Flyer)
- - Immersion Shielding [2]
- Photon Torpedoes [4]
- B'Elanna Torres [4] (Delta Flyer)
- Marla Gilmore [2]
Ship Total: 35 SP

Fleet Total: 115 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

U.S.S. Voyager [30]
- Tom Paris 4 (Captain) [2] (Delta Flyer)
- The Doctor [3]
- Seven of Nine [5] (Voyager)
- Emergency Medical Hologram [2]
- Noah Lessing [2]
Ship Total: 44 SP

Val Jean [22]
- Chakotay 6 (Captain) [4] (Val Jean)
- - Superior Intellect [5]
- Photon Torpedoes [5]
- B'Elanna Torres [4]
- Tuvok [3]
Ship Total: 43 SP

U.S.S. Equinox [20]
- Rudolph Ransom 4 (Captain) [2]
- Unimatrix Shielding [5]
- Marla Gilmore [2]
Ship Total: 29 SP

Fleet Total: 116 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

In both cases, Voyager is set up to disable its crew each turn (under the rules of the scenario, you either have to disable an upgrade, take 1 damage, or lose a Mission Token on each ship at the end of each turn) then use The Doctor and the Emergency Medical Hologram in combination to remove all the disabled tokens. The Equinox is set up to take a damage each turn, but use its ability on most turns to reactivate all of its Shields, which the Unimatrix Shielding ups to a value of 5, hopefully making it tough to destroy. The Delta Flyer and the Val Jean will have to Conserve Energy (as an action, remove all Disabled Tokens but cannot attack and gets an Auxiliary Power Token) instead.

In the first fleet, I'm intending to dock the Flyer on Voyager in the first turn, then swap the Photon Torpedoes and B'Elanna Torres for Photonic Missiles and Noah Lessing, before jetting off on its own.

The second fleet has a theme of stealing, through Seven of Nine, Marla Gilmore, and Superior Intellect (not strictly appropriate, but I felt it "on theme" enough to count). I'm guessing that the lack of Janeway on Voyager meant that things went a little less Federation-like for these ships

There are a few points left over which I can use on Resources or non-essential things.

Considering my self-imposed limitations, how do these fleets look? I'm looking for any and all feedback I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
So, as an update to this post, I played the The Void OP today. I took the following fleet:

U.S.S. Voyager [30] with Kathryn Janeway 8 (Captain) [5], The Doctor [3] [Tech], Marla Gilmore [2], Seven of Nine [4] (Delta Flyer), and B'Elanna Torres [4] (Delta Flyer)

Ship Total: 48 SP

U.S.S. Equinox [20] with Rudolph Ransom 4 (Captain) [2], Unimatrix Shielding [5], Tom Paris [4] (Voyager), and Photon Torpedoes (Time Token) [5]

Ship Total: 36 SP

Delta Flyer [20] with Tuvok 5 (Captain) [3] (Delta Flyer) with Immersion Shielding [2], Emergency Medical Hologram [2] [Crew], Noah Lessing [2], and Escape Transporter [2]

Ship Total: 31 SP

Resource: Ready Room [5]

Fleet Total: 120 SP

I'd missed the part of the OP rules that say that if you make a manoeuvre with a speed of 3 or greater then you have to take damage/disable an upgrade/lose a mission token, making Ready Room a little less useful than I'd planned for. In the end, it wasn't too much of a problem as whenever I used it to increase a manoeuvre's speed all I did was accelerate my schedule (of using The Doctor on Voyager, of using the Equinox's ability on the Equinox, and using the special OP action Conserve Power on the Flyer).

Round 1 I went up against a fleet with 2 Bioships and a Gornarus captained by Karr. I didn't do very well against this fleet, losing the Equinox in a single turn due to being fired on by all three enemy ships in a single turn. Without the "tank" of my fleet the other ships quickly folded.

Round 2 I went up against a pretty weird fleet. It had 7 ships in it with barely any upgrades: a Tholian Starship with Lore and Unnecessary Bloodshed, Enterprise NX-01 with Clark Terrell, Ratosha with Akorem Laan and Blockade, and a Romulan Science Vessel, a Raptor class ship, Interceptor 5, and Denorious with skill 1 captains. The idea was to set up in formation with the skill 1 ships up front and practically adjacent to each other (only a few millimetres between each one) and the Tholian ship flanked by Enterprise and Ratosha just millimetres behind them, then use them to perform a massive alpha strike on their enemies. I played smart and, after we'd set the objectives/obstacles up in one half of the board, I flew the Equinox and the Flyer up between the obstacles whilst I boosted Voyager up 6 in the hope I could circle around behind his formation. I managed to force him to turn into the obstacles, but then his formation was all messed up. Between losing actions from flying into the obstacles, the dwindling number of mission tokens on his ships, and losing the Tholian Starship to the USS Voyager attacking his battle line from behind, he ended up conceding the game. We had a chat after the game and came up with some ideas for what he could do about it (which was mostly, "don't use a fleet with no upgrades in an OP that requires you to disable them or take damage).

Round 3 I went up against an interesting fleet: the USS Equinox captained by Jean-Luc Picard 9 with Tom Paris, Quantum Torpedoes, Rapid Reload, and Unimatrix Shielding, 3rd Wing Attack Ship captained by Dukat 7 with Boheeka, Photon Torpedoes, and First Strike, and Scout Cube 255 captained by Borg Queen 8 with Seven of Nine, Dispersion Field, and Photon Torpedoes. Overall, I was kind of scared of dealing with this fleet at long range due to all of those torpedoes so I knew I had to close the distance. Three of the objectives/obstacles were on one side of the play area, with the last one being on the other side (which never saw any action). On turn 1 the Equinox and the Flyer moved up to beam over the mission tokens on the closest two, and Voyager zipped up 6 again, beaming the tokens from the third objective, whilst his three ships moved in. On turn 2 I used Ready Room to zoom the Equinox up 6, so that I would hopefully be either out of arc or within range 1 of his ships, and Evaded. His three ships ended up being within an inch or so of the Equinox, so my strategy worked. Voyager moved up a bit more with the intention of making a hard turn in the next turn and the Flyer flew about a bit. The Equinox took a bit of a battering, losing all but a single shield but taking no permanent damage. I overflew their lines on the next turn, disabling that last shield in order to bring them back up. He managed to draw a bead on the Equinox with the Attack Ship and snuck in a critical hit, causing an engine room fire (making my hard turns red manoeuvres), but Voyager obliterated the Scout Cube in a devastating volley of fire before it had the chance to fire at the Equinox. Over the next couple of turns, the Equinox didn't do anything as it was too far away from the action to either fire or be fired upon. Voyager and the Flyer managed to outmanoeuvre his ships and managed to take down the Attack Ship, leaving us in the position of his Equinox versus my Equinox, Voyager, and Delta Flyer. Due to running out of time, and the fact that we both essentially had the same regeneratable ship except that I had two additional ships, he conceded the game to me.

Overall, I did pretty well, winning two out of my three games, though one of those was more down to my opponent picking a bad fleet for that particular OP. I managed to pick up the Redshirt award and got the third copy of the prize ship, the IRW T'Met.

All in all, it was a good OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.