Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Mythos Deck Construction / Encounter Sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Alexander
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
As I understand it, the LotR LCG's villain deck was made up of a bunch of different modular card sets, some unique to the specific encounter and some that would be used over the course of many adventures in different combinations. I.E., to play a Mirkwood adventure, you would take a specific Mirkwood Spiders card set, a forest card set, and an Orc card set, and shuffle them all together. Then another adventure might use the Orc card set with a river card set and a different unique card set. Each of the small box expansions came with a specific card set unique to that adventure, and would combine it with a different subset of the card sets from either the base game or the most recent deluxe expansion.
So, do we think that this same model will be used for the Arkham Horror LCG? I've noticed circular symbols in the middle of all the Mythos deck cards in previews that seem to serve the same purpose as the symbols differentiating card sets in LotR, but I also can't remember seeing any of the symbols repeated, so it doesn't feel like there are enough cards out there for any given set. Thoughts/wild speculation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly my expectation about how things will work, it's an economical way of building up the encounter decks in LOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in fact the Symbols are repeated. On all of the Arkham location cards that deal with outside locations it has a house symbol, with a circle in the middle. i assume monsters, locations, and other encounter cards are divided in a very similar way to LOTR... also, as a fan of LOTR and someone who's daughter dropped an entire box set + full cycle on the floor, the icons make it incredibly easy to organize, find which belongs where, and set up scenarios.

also, if you look at the "Rise of the Ghouls" and "The Gathering" cards, they have the Torch icon you can see on some of the ghouls cards, which i assume is the Ghouls encounters including Rats, +1 doom to Agenda, and a variety of Ghouls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Alexander
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
iGniGhted wrote:
also, if you look at the "Rise of the Ghouls" and "The Gathering" cards, they have the Torch icon you can see on some of the ghouls cards, which i assume is the Ghouls encounters including Rats, +1 doom to Agenda, and a variety of Ghouls.

Yeah, I figured I just wasn't looking carefully enough. I'm almost certain that the rat swarm card had just a picture of a rat in the icon space, and I'm very curious to see what other cards are in the "rat set."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
They learned it was better to have a bunch of small encounter sets with lotr, so they can easily add bits as needed without needing to drag in unthematic cards.

So if they need cultists they can add the generic cultist deck. I imagine the rats cards are related to disease and uncleanliness, so it could be used whenever you end up somewhere dark and dank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought the LotR LCG system for the encounter deck was pretty slick and simple.

Do we know how large the AH encounter deck will be? I feel like LotR's encounter deck was decent size, 60+ cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's simple, but I think Alan's point is that it wasn't granular enough. Dividing the same number of encounter cards into a larger number of sets (with a bit fewer cards in each) gives them more control over the flavor of each quest.

Say for instance you had a big Mirkwood encounter set. It's got spider cards, it's got lost-in-the-dark cards, maybe a few cards for the river or chasing lights and sounds. Any quest you put that in is suddenly Mirkwood and will feel a lot like other Mirkwood quests. Break that up. If you make a spider set, a lost-in-the-dark set, etc... then now you can mix the cards in more individually. Now you can use that spider set in your Shelob quest without immediately making it feel like Shelob is in Mirkwood. You can use the lost-in-the-dark cards to get lost in underground tunnels instead of woods. etc... Just gives you tighter control over everything and makes the quests feel better too as the themes are more focused to what you want rather than bringing in a collection of possibly less related cards too.

You can even split something like a Goblins set into several different Goblins sets so you don't always meet the same Goblin chief in every adventure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh for sure. Getting it more granular would be excellent. With LotR I believe they did not have enough generic cards (Brown Lands anyone?) to make a generic set of monsters/locations to add so you got the flavor cross over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Alexander
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ooh, nice to know there's going to be so much variation. I never actually played LotR and didn't follow it online past the first wave or so, so I had no idea they'd made it that granular. That's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.