Popular Tags: [View All]
calvin chow
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard some reviews pine for more swingy-ness/Ameritrash in the combat... I may have some gamer friends in that camp...

I was thinking of just rolling a d6 for every combat card played, instead of using the card value. You'd still need to have the card to roll, and number of combats units would still determine how many cards/dice you could play...

Easy peasy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to stock up on "combat tokens" instead of drawing cards and then spend tokens to roll a d10 if you wanted to keep the averages right. Should be:

1-4: +2
5-7: +3
8-9: +4
10: +5

I can't say I much care for that, though, as it adds extra complexity when the cards are already provided and it makes the decisions regarding power spending more uncertain because you can't be sure of your dice roll and so therefore the incentive would be to rarely bid medium power amounts and therefore to bid little to nothing or maximum.

Plus it diminishes some of the fun of being Crimea, as you can steal powerful cards if people are being cagey with their card spending and you sometimes hit tough decision points when your hand has 3s and 4s only and you want to spend a card as a resource. If you're just spending tokens you may find the Crimea player gets more conservative with his ability because any token could be a +5, depending on the dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that would certainly add a big luck factor if people are looking for that. Simple enough solution.

It would also fundamentally change other aspects of the game though.

Players wouldn't have to be cognizant of what value of combat cards have been played or worry about what the other players have or about bluffs.

It would weaken Crimea in battle because it would take away the opportunity for them to steal a higher combat card with the Scout ability, which would make their attack optons better and weaken their opponents.

It would also make the Crimea ability a brainless one, as you wouldn't have to worry about what value combat card you discard as a resource.

Players would be less likely to attack unless they had dice superiority, unless the opponent was super low on the power track. Heck, someone could still lose 3 to 1 with crappy dice rolls vs a 6. Not only sending their attacking units home, but giving the defender a star.

I would also guess that people would be less likely to attack Saxony as often as other factions because they can keep on getting stars from winning combat. So bad dice rolls by attackers can pile on the stars for Saxony and potentially end the game sooner than people are ready for.

I guess if people are more interested in a typical dice chucking combat experience, then it could be worth trying. I think it would make more than just the combat swingy, but much else in the game due to the bad luck that would happen and affect the game in ways that doesn't currently happen. So players trying this would have to know going in not to be upset that a die roll set them back several turns and gave the opponent a star.

It would make combat more exciting for that moment when the dice are being rolled, and that's fine if it's worth the other potential tradeoffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
calvinc71 wrote:
Heard some reviews pine for more swingy-ness/Ameritrash in the combat... I may have some gamer friends in that camp...

I was thinking of just rolling a d6 for every combat card played, instead of using the card value. You'd still need to have the card to roll, and number of combats units would still determine how many cards/dice you could play...

Easy peasy...

Kill me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
calvinc71 wrote:

Easy peasy...

Kill me now.

So you could go into battle against someone with two mech and two combat cards... and they could roll anywhere from +2 to +12 added combat power?

Uh........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonez Conway
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Well that would certainly add a bug luck factor of people are looking for that. Simple enough solution.

It would also fundamentally change other aspects of the game though.

Players wouldn't have to be cognizant of what value of combat cards have been played or worry about what the other players have or about bluffs.

It would weaken Crimea in battle because it would take away the opportunity for them to steal a higher combat card with the Scout ability, which would make their attack optons better and weaken their opponents.

It would also make the Crimea ability a brainless one, as you wouldn't have to worry about what value combat card you discard as a resource.

Players would be less likely to attack unless they had dice superiority, unless the opponent was super low on the power track. Heck, someone could still lose 3 to 1 with crappy dice rolls vs a 6. Not only sending their attacking units home, but giving the defender a star.

I would also guess that people would be less likely to attack Saxony as often as other factions because they can keep on getting stars from winning combat. So bad dice rolls by attackers can pile on the stars for Saxony and potentially end the game sooner than people are ready for.

I guess if people are more interested in a typical dice chucking combat experience, then it could be worth trying. I think it would make more than just the combat swingy, but much else in the game due to the bad luck that would happen and affect the game in ways that doesn't currently happen. So players trying this would have to know going in not to be upset that a die roll set them back several turns and gave the opponent a star.

It would make combat more exciting for that moment when the dice are being rolled, and that's fine if it's worth the other potential tradeoffs.

Agree. On the surface level it seems like one change, but in reality there is a chain reaction that would ruin so much of what makes the game what it is. If I want dice I'll play Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calvin chow
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. I withdraw the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a bit confused about this sort of thing. There are loads of American style games along these lines - if you want something more like that then why not go and play one of those and leave Scythe for when you want something more Euro-ey? If this were 15 years ago, then I could understand wanting to mod as there wasn't the choice, but nowadays we're not short of a game or two =8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.