Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Picked this one up at Gen Con but have only played it once. After my play I read the rulebook again and noticed a lot of things we did wrong. So, as a public service, thought it would be nice to have a list of things that are easy to miss or misinterpret for your first play:

Tricky rules:
(ones that even the “experienced player” in our group still misinterpreted, even though he had played a demo)

First Contact (used for purposes of being able to bid on turn order) = having a path from your homeworld to another homeworld. So, contacting a pre or post warp minor civ is not First Contact. Also, a turn 1 lost colony is also not First Contact, despite allowing for trade agreements. (Yeah it happened to us!)

Making a connection-- per the rules a warp connection can only be made to an existing system if it is floating (i.e. if it only has 1 warp connection already) note that this means you can effectively isolate yourself by building a circular path or blocking all of your 1-connection systems behind a line of fixed systems. Also makes it tougher to redraw the map towards endgame when you are trying to get around the fortified frontier. EDIT - as answered by GF9 below the only prerequisite to make a connection is that the distance between the two systems allows for a warp lane of the appropriate length. this can be easily accomplished if one system is fixed and the other floating. can rarely be accomplished if both are fixed.

Shields protect against hazards (so if you have level one shields, a 5+ hazard only kills your ship on a 6)

Setting up warp capable civilizations is actually simple. Develop with the same number of nodes as the level of the civ, obeying the restrictions on the system. Fill red first (open nodes count as red for this purpose) then blue and then yellow.

Entering a system with another player’s ship(s) in it-- can’t be done if you don’t have a trade agreement with them and they have a ship in the system you don’t control. (Or if you do have a trade agreement and they don’t give you permission) This means you will stop at the end of the warp lane just outside the system. You can attack the ships in the system from the end of the warp lane, spending 1 command point and attacking with all ships/fleets at the end of the warp lanes next to the system. If you win, then you can start moving ships/fleets in to the system at impulse for 1 command point each. EDIT - As noted below, you can move all of the winning fleets/ships for free with an impulse move after winning a fight.

Note that you can freely enter (and warp through) another player’s controlled system if they have no ships in it.

You can form a fleet without using a command by building three or more ships and creating the fleet with those three+ ships.

Strategy:

Keep in mind 5 ascendancy = 1 starting ascendancy + 20 culture. The game is essentially a race to 20 culture, so keep a sharp eye out on the other players’ culture production and stockpile.

A player can clog up the warp lanes to fight a delaying action. Simply move ships at impulse out to each spot on the warp lane. The attacker will have to stop and fight each one (at a cost of 1 command point for each space that you hold, simply to move by impulse though the mess) Keep this in mind if you are relying on capturing another player’s home system to keep them from winning by ascendancy.

Final bit of advice - Don’t fall too far behind in your total weapon + shield rating. You’ll get ripped to shreds in a fight.

Edit - Feel free to add your own misinterpretations to the thread. I think it would be useful to have as much helpful info here as possible to help everyone with those first games....

Edit2 - fixed some additional misconceptions above - thanks to everyone participating in the thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federali Aundy
msg tools
You write in regards to winning a battle: "If you win, then you can start moving ships/fleets in to the system at impulse for 1 command point each."

The rules, however, seem to indicate that movement into the system after battle does not exhaust a command.

Under "Winning a Space Battle" on page 18 of the rule book, it says: "The winning player may make a Tactical Maneuver with some, or all, of their Ships after the Space Battle is over. Tactical Maneuvers are a Move made at Impulse Speed and do not Exhaust a Command."

I suppose that the Tactical Maneuver is a "use it or lose it" special move that either must be done immediately after winning or else be forced to use Commands to move in future turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some clarifications:
first contact is when a player faction meets another player faction by having ships near their ships/planets, just having a path open to them isnt sufficient.

if you win a battle, the winner receives a tactical maneuver for free which means the attacking ships can all move at impulse speed to end up all together in the same sector, this tactical maneuver will let you move your attacking ships into the sector system you were attacking (thus no need for extra commands for it).

for the strategy of filling up every sector of spacelanes with ships, note that the klingons have a tech that allows them to refresh a command after winning a battle, they could thus chain attack those sectors for free (attack, move up to next ship with tactical maneuver after winning, use the refreshed command to attack again etc. as long as they survive and the next ship is within impulse speed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
After combat and any retreating is finished, the victors ships get a free impulse move you don't have to exhaust commands for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
You can connect to a non-floating system. It just has to be the correct length for space lanes. A player can connect one of their floating systems to your set system as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
some clarifications:
first contact is when a player faction meets another player faction by having ships near their ships/planets, just having a path open to them isnt sufficient.

this isnt correct, you only need the path.

Page 5 Key Game terms "First Contact: a civilization is considered to have made first contact once their home system is connected to another players home system via space lanes and systems."

no mention of ships in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
John1701 wrote:
You can connect to a non-floating system. It just has to be the correct length for space lanes. A player can connect one of their floating systems to your set system as well.

Page 14 "Making Connections" is pretty explicit that it involves two floating systems. Where are you reading that you can connect to a non-floating system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Federali_Aundy wrote:
You write in regards to winning a battle: "If you win, then you can start moving ships/fleets in to the system at impulse for 1 command point each."

The rules, however, seem to indicate that movement into the system after battle does not exhaust a command.

Under "Winning a Space Battle" on page 18 of the rule book, it says: "The winning player may make a Tactical Maneuver with some, or all, of their Ships after the Space Battle is over. Tactical Maneuvers are a Move made at Impulse Speed and do not Exhaust a Command."

I suppose that the Tactical Maneuver is a "use it or lose it" special move that either must be done immediately after winning or else be forced to use Commands to move in future turns.

Awesome! I missed that piece of the puzzle. Thanks for the info! interesting that it's a full impulse move, so you get some help against partially cluttered warp lanes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gyromancer wrote:
John1701 wrote:

Page 14 "Making Connections" is pretty explicit that it involves two floating systems. Where are you reading that you can connect to a non-floating system?

Y'know, I had assumed you could connect to a fixed system, but now that you bring it up, I don't see any mention of that. I'm not sure if it's deliberate, or just an oversight. But yeah, you're right. In the rules, it only talks about connecting floating to floating.

EDIT: On further consideration, I think it must be allowed to connect to fixed systems. Otherwise, a reclusive player could set up his territory such that there are no outlying floating systems, and that would make it impossible for other players to reach him, which seems both unintuitive and potentially game-breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe that is what they meant on the previous page under fixed vs floating systems.

"You many want to swing a Floating system to make room for new or to make a connection to new systems."

I think they meant that to mean that you can shift it round to make a connection to a floating or a fixed system as long as the generated space lane is long enough. Unfortunately they've been a bit vague.

Take note of the rule allowing you to enter then reverse a space lane at impulse, I bet that rule gets missed a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
I believe that is what they meant on the previous page under fixed vs floating systems.

"You many want to swing a Floating system to make room for new or to make a connection to new systems."

I think they meant that to mean that you can shift it round to make a connection to a floating or a fixed system as long as the generated space lane is long enough. Unfortunately they've been a bit vague.

Take note of the rule allowing you to enter then reverse a space lane at impulse, I bet that rule gets missed a lot.

I read the section again, it doesn't say anything either way about being ale to to connect 2 fixed systems, it just says that you can't move them.

It also doesn't say anything either way about connecting a floating system to a fixed system.

That being said, the above "You many want to swing a Floating system to make room for new or to make a connection to new systems." is vague but, since it doesn't say either way, I figure they assume that you could connect as long as the space lane is long enough and the systems have open slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't see any rule/reason that you can't connect fixed systems, it's just the circumstances will have to be engineered so that the systems are exactly the correct distance apart (system destruction, or using templates maybe).

It's something to ask GF9 along with can I use a extra spare space lane as a spacer to get exact distances when placing systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the description of connecting systems is says you may swing floating systems, not that the systems have to be floating to connect. I believe not being allowed to connect to fixed systems makes it too easy to create a situation where no one can connect to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
I can't see any rule/reason that you can't connect fixed systems, it's just the circumstances will have to be engineered so that the systems are exactly the correct distance apart (system destruction, or using templates maybe).

It's something to ask GF9 along with can I use a extra spare space lane as a spacer to get exact distances when placing systems.

on this note, the rules mention you can measure the distance between systems at any time using a spacelane of your choice.
for me this means you could measure the distance to a particular system so that you know how to position your floating system and have the space to connect it later on to another system.

an example might show it better;
say you have a fixed system A, and floating systems B and C nearby
-i make a move to establish the connection between B and C
-but while checking how to place them i first measure the distance between A and B and choose to place planet B in the exact position so that the distance between A and B could fit a 3-sector spacelane with a later move
-i finish moving system C so it connects properly with B and place that spacelane between B and C
-in a new move, i try to establish the link between A and B, hoping to roll "3" on the spacelane die as thats the only one that fits between them, with any other result i would clear that spacelane and remove it, trying again in a future move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Great thread! After some of these issues are clarified, you may want to post it in the Files section below as well. In years to come, new people will hopefully be getting the game, and looking for these kinds of initial tips. By then there may be a lot more threads to scan, and newbies from the 23rd Century may miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what i saw players do for a blocking method, was to put their fleet on a space lane outside of planet with a hazard, so the opponent had to stop on the space with hazard to make them deal with that first, before fighting. It was an effective (at least before shields get built up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say “When you’re leaving a Floating System, you can also move another Floating System to try to make a connection between the two with a new Space Lane.” Is this the only time you can connect Systems? Or can you also connect a Floating System to a Fixed System?

You may connect a Fixed System to a Floating System, or vice versa. In general, when connecting two Systems, you’ll need one of them to be floating. It’s rare that two fixed systems will be exactly the right distance apart to fit the size Space Lane you’ve rolled, but if the Space Lane fits, that’s allowed too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The practical consequence on connecting systems seems to be that if you want to create a link between two fixed systems, it'll require an intermediate system.

For example, if I want to link A from C

--A
/|
/ |
B---C
| /

I have to first explore a new system D

--A D
/| |
/ | |
B---C
| /

and then add the spacelane to A

--A---D
/| |
/ | |
B---C
| /
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
soul42 wrote:
what i saw players do for a blocking method, was to put their fleet on a space lane outside of planet with a hazard, so the opponent had to stop on the space with hazard to make them deal with that first, before fighting. It was an effective (at least before shields get built up)

Alternatively, once you have a single ship that braves and survives the hazard it can sit in-system indefinitely without having to brave the hazard again.

Also, if you build a colony there, any ships you build with a starbase in-system don't have to brave the hazard unless they leave and come back, so you can set up for a defensive fight there.

Also, science fleets are a nice way to set up a bunch of ships defending on a hazard system as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gyromancer wrote:
soul42 wrote:

Alternatively, once you have a single ship that braves and survives the hazard it can sit in-system indefinitely without having to brave the hazard again.

Also, if you build a colony there, any ships you build with a starbase in-system don't have to brave the hazard unless they leave and come back, so you can set up for a defensive fight there.

Also, science fleets are a nice way to set up a bunch of ships defending on a hazard system as well.

But then your opponent won't have to stop in the hazard system in order to attack you, defeating the whole purpose of the proposed tactic. The point is not to have your own ships on a hazard system, but to force your opponent into a hazard system to soften them up before they attack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Gale Force Nine wrote:
You may connect a Fixed System to a Floating System, or vice versa. In general, when connecting two Systems, you’ll need one of them to be floating. It’s rare that two fixed systems will be exactly the right distance apart to fit the size Space Lane you’ve rolled, but if the Space Lane fits, that’s allowed too.

I'm so glad this was asked and officially answered, this came up in our game and actually ended up becoming the deciding factor in who won on tiebreakers.

In our game I wanted to create a lane between two fixed systems, but only the 2 would fit, but it fit perfectly. The other player who this affected agreed that it fit perfectly and said he was fine with it. I rolled a 4 when attempting the connection, so I took this to mean I couldn't make it because the rules didn't support anything else.

So my questions are:
A) In this situation could I place any space lane that was equal to or smaller than what I rolled?
or at least
B) Could I have kept spending commands to reroll the die hoping for a 2?

Thanks for answering rules questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GoodGuyJim wrote:
Gale Force Nine wrote:

I'm so glad this was asked and officially answered, this came up in our game and actually ended up becoming the deciding factor in who won on tiebreakers.

In our game I wanted to create a lane between two fixed systems, but only the 2 would fit, but it fit perfectly. The other player who this affected agreed that it fit perfectly and said he was fine with it. I rolled a 4 when attempting the connection, so I took this to mean I couldn't make it because the rules didn't support anything else.

So my questions are:
A) In this situation could I place any space lane that was equal to or smaller than what I rolled?
or at least
B) Could I have kept spending commands to reroll the die hoping for a 2?

Thanks for answering rules questions!

There actually is already a rule for this. If you're using impulse movement, you can use your second sector of movement to reverse course. Once the space lane is empty and unconnected, it is removed and you can try again with your next command.

If you moved in at warp speed, you can do the same thing by stopping in the first sector of the space lane, then each subsequent command you can oscillate back and forth until you get a space lane of the desired length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Novacat wrote:
Gyromancer wrote:
soul42 wrote:

But then your opponent won't have to stop in the hazard system in order to attack you, defeating the whole purpose of the proposed tactic. The point is not to have your own ships on a hazard system, but to force your opponent into a hazard system to soften them up before they attack you.

Heh - you are right. Your approach is not only a good way to use the hazard to defend, it's the ONLY way. Yet another item we messed up on our first play. Also, seems good to keep in mind as the Romulan using "Cloaked Orbital Mines", though it's not explicitly clear that they should use the same rules as hazards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are on your starting home system with a fleet at warp 1, by coming out of warp would you end up in a space lane or would you be able to get past the space lane and end your move on the next system hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeyMike79 wrote:
If you are on your starting home system with a fleet at warp 1, by coming out of warp would you end up in a space lane or would you be able to get past the space lane and end your move on the next system hex?

each warp token lets you move to the next system from where you are, so with 1 warp token you end up on the next system.

the only way you could end up at the end of a spacelane is when the player controlling the system doesnt allow you to enter, forcing you to stop just before entering it (or you choose to stop there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.