Hide
6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Swarm Fleets in STAW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Aguirre
msg tools
Has anyone had success using a swarm of small ships in STAW? Looking over the expansions it seems like Wizkids was encouraging Romulan players to use lots of little 20–30pt scout and science vessels.

One could potentially fit 4 30pt-ships in a fleet, 6 20pt-ships — or some combination of the above. Their low damage output would be a hindrance but with their cloak and attack cancellation they could be tough to kill. Has anyone tried something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried and failed?
Tried and died.

The low damage output is crippling, and defensive options aren't good enough to buy you more than an extra couple turns to plink at your opponent's shields. I've seen 4 K'Tinga fleets, and Bioships supported by Romulan tiny ships; neither was good enough to match a 2+support or 3 ship fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I did pretty well with a 5 ship fleet for The Doomsday Machine, going 2-1 (whereas I had never won a single game before, out of three previous OPs). I took the following fleet:

I.R.W. Gal Gath'thong [18]
- Romulan Commander 7 (Captain) [5]
- Plasma Torpedoes (I.R.W. Algeron) [3]
- Plasma Torpedoes (I.R.W. Algeron) [3]
Ship Total: 29 SP

Romulan Bird-of-Prey (Romulan Bird-of-Prey) [16]
- Liviana Charvanek 5 (Captain) (I.R.W. Algeron) [3]
- - Massacre [3]
- Plasma Torpedoes (Starter Set) [5]
Ship Total: 27 SP

I.R.W. Algeron [18]
- Tal 3 (Captain) (I.R.W. Algeron) [2]
- Cloaked Mines [3]
Ship Total: 23 SP

Romulan Battlecruiser (D7 Class) [16]
- Romulan 1 (Captain) (I.R.W. Gal Gath'thong) [0]
- Nuclear Warhead [3]
Ship Total: 19 SP

- Romulan 1 (Captain) (I.R.W. Algeron) [0]
- Nuclear Warhead [3]
Ship Total: 19 SP

Resource: Main Power Grid [3]

Fleet Total: 120 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

Now, I figured that if I had really wanted to push the envelope, I'd have gone for something like this:

- Romulan 1 (Captain) [0]
Ship Total: 16 SP

Total: 112 (with 8 points for extras)

My reasoning behind this is that by cloaking you're turning those 3/1/3/1 ships into 3/5/3/0 ships, which would be the equivalent of 22 points, so you're getting 154 points of ships for 112 points. They can get some quality through using Target Locks and you've got a lot of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
rewaguirre wrote:
Has anyone had success using a swarm of small ships in STAW? Looking over the expansions it seems like Wizkids was encouraging Romulan players to use lots of little 20–30pt scout and science vessels.

One could potentially fit 4 30pt-ships in a fleet, 6 20pt-ships — or some combination of the above. Their low damage output would be a hindrance but with their cloak and attack cancellation they could be tough to kill. Has anyone tried something like this?

There's the 3 Constitutions and 3 fighters swarm fleets. Fighters aren't really used anymore in my meta, but it should still work against many builds.

I've seen 4 Vor'chas/Keldons used to good effect. 5 ships is really difficult, especially when you face Scimitars are a regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also seen a 6 B'rel swarm do decently under certain circumstances. (It was a long time ago, so grain of salt (although I think the meta might be friendlier to cloaked ships nowadays than it was at the time).) Generic captains on low-hull ships is generally a really bad idea, but you might be able to make it work on a terrain-heavy map. Or you could drop down to 5 B'rels with decent captains and maybe a resource.

Speaking of, the Improved Hull Resource gives swarms a bigger return on points than anyone else, but I haven't seen anyone try it yet. (It's an appealing possibility, but I'm not getting my hopes up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was way before a lot of the cooler, newer stuff was available, but I saw someone actually win at least one of the Dominion War events with a 5 Reliant build.

Tholian swarms were amazing at the one OP (I forgot what one, the one with the USS Hood as the prize I think), where you kept respawning since as long as at least one of your ships were alive, their webs didn't go away, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.