Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Has anyone tried mixing all the cards together, then just giving 25 random cards to each player and having at it?

Alternatively you can draft out of a single deck.

Anyone tried either of these? Would it throw things too out-of-whack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've certainly thought of doing something like that eventually, but would like to play with each set individually more.

As for draft, I was considering on making draft packs, which would be a mix of regular cards and common cards. Haven't though of the numbers but like 5 regular and 5 common in each.

I'd also love to hear what others have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Has anyone tried mixing all the cards together, then just giving 25 random cards to each player and having at it?

Alternatively you can draft out of a single deck.

Anyone tried either of these? Would it throw things too out-of-whack?

That's what we wanted to do, but since Brad himself said he didn't want to support the game as an LCG, we kind of gave up on the idea. We might still try it eventually, though.
The game is great just with the both players playing the same sets anyway.

However, we tried playing the game only with Commons. Both players have a deck with all Commons and both are dealt 3 or 5 HD Leaders, from which they choose one to play with as their leader for that game.

Great, great fun. We love the commons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Muehlberg
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ACGalaga wrote:
Haven't though of the numbers but like 5 regular and 5 common in each.

Depending on the number of players you are supporting you would be lucky to get 3 commons per pack. I'm trying to throw a draft together myself and my setup for 5-6 players ended up with 8 cards per pack; 3 of which were commons, 4 hero cards, and 1 chase (promo card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
professorcynical wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

Depending on the number of players you are supporting you would be lucky to get 3 commons per pack. I'm trying to throw a draft together myself and my setup for 5-6 players ended up with 8 cards per pack; 3 of which were commons, 4 hero cards, and 1 chase (promo card).

Promos are a good idea, but since I sleeved everything in clear sleeves, the backs really mess things up.

I always like the idea of the promo variant where you have a promo pile in the center and you can draw from it as an action (I think that's how it works).

Also, ever think about drafting leaders? Figure make a couple leader draft packs and everyone drafts from them first. Then draft your regular packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Muehlberg
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ACGalaga wrote:
professorcynical wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

Promos are a good idea, but since I sleeved everything in clear sleeves, the backs really mess things up.

I always like the idea of the promo variant where you have a promo pile in the center and you can draw from it as an action (I think that's how it works).

Also, ever think about drafting leaders? Figure make a couple leader draft packs and everyone drafts from them first. Then draft your regular packs.

Yea I thought about the whole leader pack draft thing but figured it would make things too cumbersome for my play group, better to streamline the draft section. Not to mention that sometimes players can mix card pools up either on purpose or by accident so why bother drafting a pack purely for leaders?

As for the whole clear sleeved debacle, I doubt it will really matter if it is obvious who ends up with a promo vs a promo leader card. I have yet to see a card that is so broken it wins games when it hits the field. I personally have my promo leaders sleeved in clear sleeves so its obvious when a pack has a promo card instead of a promo leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess it may not be as big a deal when drafting, but when that card is in your deck and the back is different, it will be easy to know when it will come into play.

Back to the Leader draft idea. I think you'd only have to do one round of leader drafts. If you incorporate League play rules each player should have drafted 5 Leaders. So either you use the League play drafting rules or make packs (5 Leaders each or 8 each and discard the undrafted Leaders). These 5 leader cards will be separate from your deck.

Ultimately, I think your own way will be great. These are just some of the things I've been thinking on incorporating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Muehlberg
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ACGalaga wrote:
Well, I guess it may not be as big a deal when drafting, but when that card is in your deck and the back is different, it will be easy to know when it will come into play.

Hadn't thought about that lol

ACGalaga wrote:
Back to the Leader draft idea. I think you'd only have to do one round of leader drafts. If you incorporate League play rules each player should have drafted 5 Leaders. So either you use the League play drafting rules or make packs (5 Leaders each or 8 each and discard the undrafted Leaders). These 5 leader cards will be separate from your deck.

Yea you would have to separate it, but if they are all sleeved the same how will you keep players from purposely or accidentally mixing their leaders and deck together? I know of at least one person in my group who has mixed two 7 wonders hands together accidentally on more than one occasion. Although I do like the idea of separate leader pools I feel it's just too much to worry about for all players.

Ultimately, I think this game is perfect for any form of custom drafting and fits well at any point in the casual to hardcore spectrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you have a separate leader pool having different colored backs help them from being shuffled together (they're purple).

The league sheet on the back of the DX Rulebook has a place for each player to write down their leaders. Think it would be cool if you were only able to use each leader once. If you happen to play more than 5 games the leaders can reset after the fifth round.

Might be a lot for some people to take in however I think only being able to choose from 5 leaders could really help newer players. Limits their choices and they'll be able to think about strategy before that game.

That's pretty hilliarous about 7 wonders card mixup!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Muehlberg
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ACGalaga wrote:
Well, if you have a separate leader pool having different colored backs help them from being shuffled together (they're purple).

The league sheet on the back of the DX Rulebook has a place for each player to write down their leaders. Think it would be cool if you were only able to use each leader once. If you happen to play more than 5 games the leaders can reset after the fifth round.

Might be a lot for some people to take in however I think only being able to choose from 5 leaders could really help newer players. Limits their choices and they'll be able to think about strategy before that game.

That's pretty hilliarous about 7 wonders card mixup!!

That's a good point, though at this point I refuse to resleeve lol. I didn't see that there was sheets to write down leaders, I'll have to look into that. I do agree though that having limited leader choices would be better in terms of speeding up gameplay and deck building around a strategy.

It was hilarious after the fact, but during the game it caused everything to come to a screeching halt as we figured out how to rectify it. To this day we still joke about making sure to count your hand to make sure no one missed a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
My girlfreind and I play by just mixing everything together and drawing 25 random cards. We aren't interested or patient enough to want to do drafts or anything fancy like that.

We've played this game dozens of times like this. Often it doesn't really unbalance the game too bad. Sometimes though one player will just simply have a stronger force as randomly chosen. But even then it's still fun to pull off a win against all odds.

We also just mix in all the commons and promo heroes too. If you sleeve everything into two solid colors you can just photocopy the promos and have them represented equally in each deck if you cannot obtain duplicate copies.

It's worked out nicely for us. Maybe we do miss out on certain combos and chains intended for each set of cards, but its still great fun. We also discover crazy new combos and rarely see the same characters twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.