Subject: Favorite/least favorite parts of Pandemic: SoE? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flop Adrop
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
In Pandemic: On the Brink, I love the new roles and the Mutation Challenge but never play with the Bioterrorist or Virulent Strain. Still, absolutely worth it in my opinion.

I'm considering buying State of Emergency but suspect I may end up only really being interested in the Emergency Events cards (send me a message if you own P:SoE but never use them, by the way!).

If you own or have played P:SoE, which of the three challenges do you like the most/least? (Or what have you played the most/least?)

* Hinterlands Challenge
* Emergency Events Challenge
* Superbug Challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite parts
Roles
Events

Sorta cool parts
Quarantine markers
Emergency Events

Least favorite parts
pretty much everything else… especially hinterlands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Emergency Events, they combine very well with challenges from On the Brink and In the Lab.

I like Superbug, since it makes the purple disease a bit different, though with the right characters (Pharmacist), playing it is a breeze.

I thought I would like Quarantines, but after a couple plays I think they're only good in the Superbug scenario and don't combine very well with other scenarios.

Hinterlands is the most disappointing scenario of State of Emergency for me. It is designed to change the balance of the game, but not up the difficulty, but for me the randomness in adding cubes to the Hinterland spaces is very un-Pandemic-like. In my opinion this randomness is very different from the other 'semi-controlled' randomness that exists in the Player and Infection deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Anny48 wrote:
but for me the randomness in adding cubes to the Hinterland spaces is very un-Pandemic-like. In my opinion this randomness is very different from the other 'semi-controlled' randomness that exists in the Player and Infection deck.

Yes; this is by intent. No one can predict when diseases will jump from animals to humans. See the outbreaks of Avian Flu, Ebola, Swine Flu, and Mad Cow disease over the last 30 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Superbug yet (I'm terrible at this game, I do not need the crazy difficulty), but I'm cool with everything else. We don't seem to be using quarantines as much as we should, and none of the new roles or events blow me away (they're still all good, though), but the emergency events and hinterlands are definitely great! About the only part I don't like is the candy-like pieces that indicate which cities are adjacent to hinterlands - it's difficult to fit a hinterlands token, three cubes, a quarantine and a player pawn all in one city and it really would've been better if instead of sideboards the expansion included a new game board with hinterlands printed right on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
my favorite part of any pandemic expansion is the new roles - they make every expansion a must-buy
the pharmacist is my favorite role in the entire series and I tend to insist that he's in every game I play

my second favorite part of any expansion is usually the new events
imo the new events and especially the new roles do more to add to the game than the challenge modules

I don't dislike any of the new challenge modules, but to put them in order from my favorite to least favorite:
emergency events
quarantines
hinterlands
superbug

and just for kicks and the off chance that it helps, heres every challenge from the series from my fave to least fave (roughly):
soe emergency events
otb virulent strain
itl lab
soe quarantines
soe hinterlands
otb bioterrorist
soe superbug
itl worldwide panic mutation
otb mutation
itl team
itl solo

though ultimately, opinion is subjective
just because people in this thread like/dislike things doesn't mean youll feel the same
I suggest you read the rulebook to determine for yourself whether youll like it
http://www.zmangames.com/uploads/4/7/1/7/47170931/pandemic_s...

I also hate the hinterlands city connection markers for the same reasons Kārlis gave
it was a necessity to make my own out of card stock, but paper or cardboard would work too

I'm surprised to see you don't play virulent strain - that seems to be the most popular module in OtB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Woosley
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I have played the Hinterlands challenge 5 times, and lost 5 times. It is the part that I both love and hate the most. Also, I haven't tried any other part yet and won't until I beat this at least once.

I have found that every other module from every expansion adds difficulty, but I have never had this much trouble with a module. Even World Wide Panic was easier for us (although I learned later we messed up one rule that would have made it harder). Based on this alone, it was worth getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding in the new roles is great.

We do like the Hinterlands challenge, but is feels a bit awkward mostly because there's so much on the board.

It would have been vastly better had they just released a new board with the added connections directly on the board instead of these weird side boards and chips on the main board to mark which locations connected onto the side board.

Other than that awkwardness, the challenge is quite fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
I haven't played Superbug yet (I'm terrible at this game, I do not need the crazy difficulty), but I'm cool with everything else. We don't seem to be using quarantines as much as we should, and none of the new roles or events blow me away (they're still all good, though), but the emergency events and hinterlands are definitely great! About the only part I don't like is the candy-like pieces that indicate which cities are adjacent to hinterlands - it's difficult to fit a hinterlands token, three cubes, a quarantine and a player pawn all in one city and it really would've been better if instead of sideboards the expansion included a new game board with hinterlands printed right on that.

I can understand that, but it is pretty hard fitting all but the hinterlands disk plus the Research Stations on the map dots with the non SOE games I've played, so I've opted to put the cubes and research stations near the city names. And of course with SuperBug adding in pills you must carry, I swapped out the vaccine factories with D4s and use skipbo cards to keep track of which factory has how many pills. Not trashing you at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.