Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Appropriate for an 8 year old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My son is a huge SW fan, and I'm looking for a board game that we can play together. Is there anything that would be inappropriate for an 8 year old boy in the campaign? Rules-wise, I understand it's fairly complicated but I'm not too concerned about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is on the same level as the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say nothing bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually started playing this when my son was 8 (he's 9 now). The rules are fairly easy, but sometimes needs a little help with strategy. We typically play campaign mode, and only did skirmish mode once. He knows plays one hero when I get together with my friends and holds his own on what his character does.
As far as content goes, it's clean like what was mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it matters, figures are defeated, wounded, withdrawn, incapacitated. They are not killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Koch
United States
Papillion
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even when you go toe to toe with one of the bosses and defeat them, you don't kill them in the story line. Usually the epilogue is along the lines of "As the captured imperial officer is led away by Rebel forces, he shakes a fist at you and yells 'And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely nothing that I've come across that I would consider inappropriate. It's a fantastic game, especially if you're kid(s) enjoy Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know your son best, If you are considering it then do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The biggest issues would be if the rules are too complicated, h is reading level and reading comprehension and whether he can/wants to focus on a 60+ minute game. Morally/emotionally you won't encounter anything tougher than Empire Strikes Back, and certainly not Episode III.

Even if he's not quite ready now, if he is into both Star Wars and likes games he will be eventually. Probably sooner than later. I play a very streamlined version with my 6 year old daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theredson wrote:
The biggest issues would be if the rules are too complicated, h is reading level and reading comprehension and whether he can/wants to focus on a 60+ minute game. Morally/emotionally you won't encounter anything tougher than Empire Strikes Back, and certainly not Episode III.

Even if he's not quite ready now, if he is into both Star Wars and likes games he will be eventually. Probably sooner than later. I play a very streamlined version with my 6 year old daughter.

Great question. My son is turning 8 soon and this is the game he's set his sights on. I have owned it since release, but have been hesitant to bring it to the table because it's definitely a step up in complexity from the D&D Adventure Series which we have been enjoying for the past year or so.

I won't let my son watch Ep.III for a variety of reasons, not the least of which are on the intense scenes that go beyond the original trilogy's boundaries of angst and emotional pain in a number of graphic ways that might be tricky for an 8 year old. We love the movies, and we love star wars games (X-Wing in particular), but I definitely feel like the time is right for MY kid...

Which leads me to my point:

Only you can know what's going to be right for your child. All the Internet dads in the world can't tell you whether you're making a good or bad decision. It just comes down to knowing whether this is something your kid is going to take to or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.