Subject: Any news about Collector's Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitry

Moscow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day!

Are there some news about Collector's Edition of Pax Pamir?

I really want to buy the edition with a big, appropriate box and the map from Pax Porfiriana Collector's Edition.

I have Pax Porfiriana copy (not CE) and it has too small box. The famous problem is with cards in sleeves. There is going to be an expansion for Pax Pamir and I'm afraid of repeating this problem. So, I'm in trouble; I don't know: to buy Pax Pamir (and expansion in October) or not?

In addition, I would like to see in PP CE plastic chips instead of wooden cubes. I think, Eklund's games are great simulations and they are not abstract at all, so they need an appropriate appearance:
- miniatures of guys in Afghan suits and hats instead of cubes;
- Russian, British and Afghan soldiers of this time instead of cylinders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Collector's Edition
There won't be a new edition in the immediate future (next 1-2 years). Who knows what the future holds.

After a hundred plays of the published version, I don't have many wishes for the components. Metal rupees (thankfully there are some nice ones on the market now) and I would have loved the empire cylinders to have been tall octagons so they could be set on their side(for roads) as well as stood up (for armies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rupees specifically? Replicas of era-appropriate rupees? I use the same bag of metal doubloons I use for PaxP (couldn't find era currency for that game either)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the ones I have (they are awesome but expensive and out of stock)

http://www.drawlab.com/shop/arabic-set-legendary-metal-coins...

I've also got a bunch of these (Persia) I've used as gifts which are slightly less awesome but still awesome

https://best-damn-coins-2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

The trick is just getting a bunch of a single denomination. I like the Persia Smalls and the Persia Large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went and got the real thing just like I did with Pax Por. Though, I think I'll have my hands full trying to find Florins for Pax Ren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I just went and got the real thing just like I did with Pax Por. Though, I think I'll have my hands full trying to find Florins for Pax Ren.

So, what qualifies as "the real thing"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh, put a question mark I the thread title, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

So, what qualifies as "the real thing"?

Real rupees. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry

Moscow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
There won't be a new edition in the immediate future (next 1-2 years). Who knows what the future holds.

Aaahhh... sad, sad situation.

Cole Wehrle wrote:
After a hundred plays of the published version, I don't have many wishes for the components.

Ok. You don't. Me and a lot of my friends do. And not only for Pax Pamir. Pax Porfiriana and Neanderthal have the same weaknesses.

Cole Wehrle wrote:
Metal rupees (thankfully there are some nice ones on the market now) and I would have loved the empire cylinders to have been tall octagons so they could be set on their side(for roads) as well as stood up (for armies).

I don't think that Pax Pamir is an abstract game or euro-style game. I like wooden things in Terra Mystica or Agricola, but not in Phil Eklund's games.

P.S. It's really sad to hear such things from the creators. I have money, I can buy things, but because of total problems with components and boxes in Sierra Madre Games, I have to suffer and spend my time to make my own homemade version of such good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USSRocker wrote:
I have money, I can buy things, but because of total problems with components and boxes in Sierra Madre Games, I have to suffer and spend my time to make my own homemade version of such good games.

Suffer? For me producing some extras for games is very entertaining and afterwards - i feel very satisfied to play with my own components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
USSRocker wrote:
but because of total problems with components and boxes in Sierra Madre Games, I have to suffer and spend my time to make my own homemade version of such good games.

With the all the crazy stuff going on in the world, "suffer" is a bit strong. Also, aside from tiddly wink money - a personal pet peeve - I find SM games to be the best bang for your buck - meat-wise - in the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
USSRocker wrote:
but because of total problems with components and boxes in Sierra Madre Games, I have to suffer and spend my time to make my own homemade version of such good games.

With the all the crazy stuff going on in the world, "suffer" is a bit strong. Also, aside from tiddly wink money - a personal pet peeve - I find SM games to be the best bang for your buck - meat-wise - in the industry.

Indeed! Small box, decent quality components, excellent heavy games.

For me the tiddly winks work fine in Pax Pamir, since you need to put them on cards in the market anyway. In Pax Porfiriana we only use the red ones for unrest; we use poker chips for money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
In Pax Porfiriana we only use the red ones for unrest; we use poker chips for money.

Only Pesos will work for me in PaxPor.

And for unrest, jailed, etc., tiddly winks are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Metal rupees (thankfully there are some nice ones on the market now) and I would have loved the empire cylinders to have been tall octagons so they could be set on their side(for roads) as well as stood up (for armies).

I don't think that Pax Pamir is an abstract game or euro-style game. I like wooden things in Terra Mystica or Agricola, but not in Phil Eklund's games.

I wouldn't venture an opinion on what Pax Pamir's "genre" might be--I'll leave that to the marketers. But, what I do know is that the empire pieces in the game are abstractions (either for economic activity or military force). So, it seems quite thematic that a piece representing two different abstract things should be abstract as well. Especially when you consider the scale and focus of the game, this seems right (cf. Diplomacy's beautiful wooden blocks). Think about how many different military units are represented by the "army" piece. Any single miniature (even 3 different miniatures for the different empires) would just misrepresent what the game is actually trying to say about the composition and loyalty of the various military forces in the period. In fact, having a different miniature for each empire would probably be worse than having a standard sculpt for all three because it would suggest differences where the game is purposely making little distinction.

Quote:
P.S. It's really sad to hear such things from the creators. I have money, I can buy things, but because of total problems with components and boxes in Sierra Madre Games, I have to suffer and spend my time to make my own homemade version of such good games.

Phil and I had a vision for the game and its one that we largely brought to fruition. That doesn't seem sad at all. What would be sad is letting that vision be compromised by a kickstarter-style miniatures craze. I've got no qualms with games with minis, nor any qualms for big overproduced games, but that isn't the game that we ever wanted to make, even if we had the resources.

All that said, I hope Pamir continues to do well and that someday we (or someone) does put out another edition. There are a few niggling errors and some places for improvement (in components, in rules, etc). But, I can more-or-less guarantee that it won't have minis if I have any say in it. That's just not what the game is.

Random Aesthetic Aside:
Beyond reasons of playability and scale there is an added reason why I wanted to keep the pieces simple. Minis games tend to be very visually noisy but I wanted there to be a clear visual hirearchy in Pamir. The map, esp the card-map, is grayscale so as to make the colors and number of the pieces more easily discernible. This is espeically important in games like Pamir where several types and colors commingle. The pieces themselves are simple so as to draw out the illustrations on the cards. A ton of work went into that deck finding historically accurate images for (almost) every named figure and place. I'd hate for fancy pieces to compete for a player's attention.

By the by, I extended this same logic to the expansion cards. Because the original game buries players in names and places they are probably not familiar with, a lot of detail can sometimes just turn into noise. So, the expansion cards (the headline events and the special power capability cards) have simple, evocative names that are designed so that players have another foothold in the game's setting. Sometimes by removing a little historical detail one can actually heighten immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.