Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at the components I realized I needed to make an insert for scythe, but that proved difficult. The key was proper storage for a quick set up...hence my idea for faction boxes and a place to organize cards. First prototype: many minor changes to boxes (need to make in inner tray to store player pieces and some rastering on the faction logos need tweeting but the dimensions are good...and that's what matters at this stage. Feel free to make suggests or helpful criticism, you may see things that I haven't.

The card tray...should accommodate sleeves at some point.

Faction boxes....many changes needed

The board will fit on top!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, nice work. Not planning on picking up the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to see how things are arranged in the boxes. Are the mechs just floating around and bumping into each other, or do you have a method of separating / retaining them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. ALthough I normally store the resources on their side. at the end where you have the cards. Any idea where you're going to put them?

I'm kinda torn here...I LOVE inserts (just ask my credit card company), but I just don't know. I like the plastic holder for the minis so I'm not sure I'd want to give that up. If I just had a small box for each faction that I could pull out and hand to each person. And then an easy way to store the cards. I think that would make me happy.

THanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to make a small tray for player pieces and a layer for mechs and character mini...making small circles to put bases in, should keep the, from floating around....stage 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Looks great, nice work. Not planning on picking up the expansion?

Unsure....haven't actually played base game yet. Who am I kidding....will redesign when that happens . Thanks for the compliment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonocop wrote:
Very cool. ALthough I normally store the resources on their side. at the end where you have the cards. Any idea where you're going to put them?

Good question...I plan to make resource trays that will sit below the faction mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What machine do you use for this? Is it a personal one or do you have work access to such a piece of equipment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kapu Kapu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! You may want to wait for the expansion, or you will have to redesign most parts.

I made a geeklist where you can download inserts and cut them yourself [0]
Feel free to contact me if you want to share the cutting files or need some advise on designing lasercut inserts.

[0] https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193316/laser-cut-boardgam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is gorgeous. I'd also love to know what machine you use to make that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csaman wrote:
I'm going to make a small tray for player pieces and a layer for mechs and character mini...making small circles to put bases in, should keep the, from floating around....stage 2 :)

Great work! I'm a huge fan of laser cut inserts.

I actually had an idea during playtesting for an insert facilitating super-fast setup, by making a 3-sided + ceiling sheath for the player mats. The idea is that while you're cleaning up, you would randomly match each faction to a mat, load it up with buildings (maybe too big?), workers, recruits and upgrades, and then slide it into the case, which would hold everything in the recessed mats with a snug, possibly foam-padded ceiling. The next time you play, randomly assign factions in the normal way, then just slide out the mat and go.

I'd think the mechs / character could either stay in the plastic they came in, or perhaps live in an adjacent compartment. On that note, you could potentially add a slot for the faction mat as well, and perhaps the starting cards and money if you're so inclined.

(I hope that makes sense... I could draw a diagram if that'd help.)

The only concern I'd have is that it would end up taking up more / too much space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Des Moines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! I was unboxing last night (Yay! finally got my copy!) and my first thought was "I really need to make an insert for this game". I'll be getting a laser in December (barring any further delays), so I'm ramping up now on the design of things. I think Scythe will be my first attempt at an insert.

For those interested in doing this kind of thing themselves, the machine I'm getting is one of the first consumer-level machines out there.

It is called Glowforge, and if you'll forgive the shameless plug, if you click the link and purchase, then we can both get a discount!

Edit to add: I am not an employee of Glowforge, just a purchaser who likes the product and wants to get as many referral bonuses as possible. If my post is against the rules, let me know and I'll remove the referral bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliments....My library has two epilog helix cutters. Although, I've stopped working on it....out of wood and realized after looking at the expansion....need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
Wait, what? You have a Glowforge? I am really surprised. I had been following that project for what seems like a year and I thought it became vaporware basically. They actually shipped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.