Subject: Anyone done any English Rules for the game please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it is the same game as Catan Junior but I've never played Catan or the Junior version, so I thought I'd ask first,

has anyone done any player aids or even better, some English Rules, that reference directly to this retheme.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few read throughs of the rules of Junior Catan and watching a few videos, including Tabletops example of a run away Penguin/Parrot strategy, I have decided I will use these.

Setup

The board is two sided, with the number of Penguins on the board, showing the number of players.

Place out a Circus Tent and a Circus Train on the appropriate coloured spots on the board (2 of each for each player).

The circus Tents go on the coloured spots, the Trains on the small coloured lines.

Then each player gets the Tents/Trains as well as a Character/ Cost board appropriate to their colour. (there’s no difference mechanically between the characters and with my kids, it just causes an argument about who wants to be Alex the lion, so you might just give them out, cost side up).

They also get 1 sand and 1 wood resource. Place one of each of the 5 different resources on the market area.

Put the Animal Controller standee (Captain Chantel Dubois who is the baddie in the movie) in the hex numbered 6

Play

Each player on their turn rolls the die.

They check the board for hexes that match the number rolled and if they have a Circus Tent (Trains don’t count) touching a hex, matching the number rolled, they get 1 of the appropriate resources from that hex. If they have multiple Circus Tents touching the numbered hex, they get multiple resources.

If you roll a 6, no one gets any resources but the active player can move the Animal Controller to any hex and gets 2 of the appropriate resources from it.

Whilst on a hex, she stops anyone getting resources from it on future rolls, so you may want to try and put her on a hex your opponent has Circus Tents around, which you don’t and so deprive them of resources, should that number be rolled on subsequent turns. However you might just want to get the 2 specific resources more this turn and not worry so much about blocking the other players, or you may want to do a bit of both tactics.

Having played a few times now, I have found the blocking aspect of the Animal Controller too mean for my 7 year old (Tantrum City, especially with her sister being meaner than Chantel Dubois) and have decided to just do the gathering of 2 resources with her.

After all players have collected resources, the active player can build any number of Tents and Trains and they may Trade. The rules say you can do this in any order, but see below for more info.

How Building Works

To build something, pay its cost as shown on your building cost tile.

When building you must alternate building a Tent next to a Train and vice versa, thus forming chains of Tent-Train-Tent-Train-Tent etc ,along a particular path. You can of course build 2 Trains one after another, providing they are next to Tents and vice versa, since you will probably have at least 2, 3 or 4 terminus’s to build off, unless you have got yourself completely surrounded by other players, which I can’t ever see happening.

A player may also build Penguin Maps, which will immediately give bonuses like additional resources or moving and triggering the Animal Handler or allowing a free build of a Tent or Train, so these are pretty powerful.

Once a player has finished building, the player with the most Penguin Maps puts a Circus Tent in the “6” hex. This is removed and returned to its owner, if no player has a majority of Penguin Maps.

(Having played a few times, I’ve decided to ignore this rule, as IMO it is over powered in a game that only requires you to actually build 5 Tents to win, since 2 are in play at the start)

How Trading Works

You can trade ONE resource for another, with any ONE resource in the market. You can do this only ONCE in your turn, however you can also trade TWO of the SAME resources, for any ONE resource from the box.

You can do this box trading action as many times as you like, in your turn. If the market place ever has 5 of the same resources on it, the market place is reset with 5 of the different types again like in the setup.

There is an advanced rule, which allows other players to trade with the active player. Players can’t trade with anyone else only the active player. I don’t play this rule with my 7 and 9 year olds yet, as I think it would just cause arguments, slow the game down and over complicate what is a simple game.

My Opinion regarding the Building and Trading Phase

It’s not specified in the rules if you can build and trade then build again etc flip flopping between these 2 actions. The rules just say you can build and trade in any order you wish. If you allow a player to build something then trade then build something else, just beware that building Penguin Maps can allow you to move the Animal Handler and/or give you resources, both of which will give you resources which could then be traded again and could then allow a player to build again (maybe another Penguin Map, thus gaining yet more resources to be traded etc. which can cause a runaway chain reaction) I suppose it’s up to you, if you want to restrict this rule, so that players have to do all their trading in one go then go onto building and can’t go back to trading.

However I think I take the view, that the game is aimed at kids and this toe and froing between actions, encourages them to utilise more actions.

Someone pointed out on the Junior Catan forum that if they wanted a more competitive game, they would play regular Catan with adults and this game is aimed at kids, so lets not get bogged down with timing mechanics, just let the kids have fun playing.

Having played a few times, I’ve decided that a player can only build one Penguin Map in their turn.

After this, the next player takes their turn and so on, until someone wins by building their 7th circus tent.

I added in one last thing, since the first player in this race to build tents, will have an advantage over the other players (and to avoid more tantrums from the kids, since "its not fair, that she went first") I have house ruled that once the 7th tent is built, everyone else gets one last turn, upto the starting player ie everyone has the same number of turns in the game.

This way it is possible for the game to end in a draw, which isn't a bad thing, when you are playing with kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.