Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm a wee bit confused.

An investigator uses the Wither spell.

He follows the instructions on the app, saying to test Lore (needing 2 successes)

If sucessful the monster suffers 2 damage from the spell plus additional damage for each success. You then flip the card, and in this case the monster suffers an additional damage and so does the investigator:

"You see the spell ripple and spread from where it hit your target. You suffer 1 facedown Damage and the Monster suffers 1 additional damage."

If unsuccessful, I presume there is no damage dealt, but the app still says to flip the card. So does the effect take place with the Investigator and Monster both taking one damage, or do i totally misunderstand a spell, and even a failed Lore test still does the spell's base damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read it correctly I think it is as you said, you don't do the normal spell damage (due to the failure), but you and the monster take one damage from the spell effect. Thematically it sounds like you tried to attack and the spell backfired, hurting you both in the process but not a direct hit on the monster as you intended.

In first edition, each spell had an individual pass or fail, so I assume in this version you can totally have a spell do "something" even if you fail the test to cast it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A spoiler warning would a good idea. Example below:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The spell only deals it's damage when the app tells you it does.
Thematically, this particular backside is area damage. Thus you both are dealt 1 extra damage, no matter whether it was a miss or hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto de Gooijer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I have a question about the ritual dagger.
Does the extra die when casting a spell also count when testing the effect on the backside of the spells? Like fleshward or instill bravery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobbieGemini wrote:
Does the extra die when casting a spell also count when testing the effect on the backside of the spells? Like fleshward or instill bravery?

The rules don't give a clear definition of 'casting', so I would assume that it includes the resolution and flipping of a Spell, not just attacking with a Spell. Thus, you would roll an extra die if the Spell has a test on its reverse side.

This seems like a question you should send FFG, though. I don't believe we can answer this one definitively without developer input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
RobbieGemini wrote:

I would say it has to apply to any test that is on the back of the spell, otherwise, what's the point of the special power of the Ritual Dagger?

As it is, the dagger only seems to help with the non-attack spells (i.e. those without a damage value on the front of the spell).

All the same, it does seem to require confirmation from FFG as to the meaning but at first glance I think it does give an extra dice to any test required on the back of the spell cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
I would say it has to apply to any test that is on the back of the spell, otherwise, what's the point of the special power of the Ritual Dagger?

As it is, the dagger only seems to help with the non-attack spells (i.e. those without a damage value on the front of the spell).

I would count attacking with the Spell as casting it too. Why wouldn't you? The tests provided by the app when you attack a monster with the Spell would also be powered up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Clipper wrote:
xris wrote:

I would count attacking with the Spell as casting it too. Why wouldn't you? The tests provided by the app when you attack a monster with the Spell would also be powered up.

I would interpret Casting as any test that is part of spell resolution. That would mean "Attack with a Spell" in the app, and any back of card tests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules the example of attacking is done with a weapon and it says to add the number of successes to the attack value of the weapon, but where in the rules doesn't specifically say that this also applies to spells? I assume it does and I hope it does, but we cannot find anything officially where it says it does. Can anyone assist?
Thnx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnC1783 wrote:
In the rules the example of attacking is done with a weapon and it says to add the number of successes to the attack value of the weapon, but where in the rules doesn't specifically say that this also applies to spells? I Soum it does and I hope it does, but we cannot find anything officially where it says it does. Can anyone assist?
Thnx

The example with the weapon is only that way because the app stated that was how much damage was done for that example. Some other app examples will only do the base damage of the weapon, or only do damage equal to your successes.

Combat Spells are treated the same way in the app, you follow the instructions it gives you to determine damage dealt. The only difference with Spells is that you flip them afterwards (the app does remind you to do this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Some other app examples will only do the base damage of the weapon, or only do damage equal to your successes.

Combat Spells are treated the same way in the app, you follow the instructions it gives you to determine damage dealt.

Thanks, but that didn't answer the question.

Do we add successes to spell damage or not?
The rules simply do not say.
The app does not tell us to so far as we have noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
JohnC1783 wrote:

If the app says to add successes, then do so. If not, then don't.

Usually the spells do not tell you to add successes to the damage, but it does occasionally happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnC1783 wrote:

The app will give you the same three types of instruction depending on the monster and the random Spell effect it chooses to apply when you select the Attack button and choose to attack with the Spell.

It is exactly the same process as attacking with a weapon. You select the monster, select to attack it, select the 'with a Spell' option, and then follow the instruction the app provides, which will, depending on the test it chooses, either tell you to do damage equal to the Spell's base damage, do damage equal to the number of successes, or do damage equal to the Spell's damage plus number of successes.

Thus, the only difference involved is that you select to attack with a Spell when choosing the appropriate type of attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.