Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Wells
United States
San Jose
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought that I understood the Lith tribute rules, but after reading that paragraph in the rulebook again, I'm not so sure.

My understanding on my first read of the rules was this: You get points for giving tribute to Lith. If the other team gives tribute to Lith, they first use their points to subtract from yours, then use any remaining points for their own tribute. An example:

Turn 1: Black gives 5 tribute to Lith. Result: a black marker and a die with a 5, showing that Black has 5 tribute points.
Turn 2: White gives 3 tribute to Lith. Result: the die is reduced to 2, but Black still has their marker there.
Turn 3: White gives 3 more tribute to Lith. Result: the die is now at 1, but with a white marker.

However, I re-read the Tribute section again (p. 14 of the Master Compendium) and it says this:

Quote:
If the enemy has already given tribute, deduct your tribute amount from their total. If you gave more, replace their team marker with your own.

The first sentence makes me think that Turn 2 in my example above was done correctly. But, the second sentence makes me think that on Turn 3 above, since White gave 3 tribute and Black had 2, that the die should stay at 2 but the marker should switch to white.

A further example with this interpretation:

Turn 1: Black gives 5 tribute to Lith. Result: Black has 5 tribute points.
Turn 2: White gives 1 tribute to Lith. Result: Black has 4 tribute points ("If the enemy has already given tribute, deduct your tribute amount from their total.")
Turn 3: White gives 5 tribute to Lith. Result: White has 4 tribute points ("If you gave more, replace their team marker with your own.")

Which is the correct interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quote from the rulebook seems entirely consistent with your original interpretation, which is also the natural one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wells
United States
San Jose
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that my original interpretation seems to be the natural one, and that's how we've been playing. But it bothers me that the rulebook doesn't say "If you gave more, replace their marker with your own, and set the die to the difference between what you gave and their tribute total."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could say that, but I generally don't question a rule just because it could have been stated even more clearly. No rule is perfect, but this one is good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.