GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,604 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does Planning Tactic Trigger At Beginning of Round ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rule FAQ thread states that the Planning tactic is intended to work like Keeps in that both increase your hand limit.

My question is, Does Planning trigger at the beginning of a new round as well as at the end of turn ?

I'm assuming no, due to the requirement of having at least two cards.

However:
* Both Keeps and Planning trigger "at the end of each turn", and;

* In the rule book, p4 "One round of the game" 2.g bullet four states that Keeps *also* trigger when you draw up following an end of round reshuffle.

I'm fairly certain that the earliest Planning can trigger is when you draw up at the END of your first turn of the round. I just wanted to confirm this is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
No to the question, yes to the requested confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording on the tactic card states:

"At the end of each turn, if you have at least two cards in your hand before you draw draw as if your hands limit is one higher."

The first turn of a round is not the end of a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Councilofthevoid wrote:
The first turn of a round is not the end of a turn.

Agreed.

My confusion stemmed from:

Keep Card wrote:
If you end your turn on or adjacent to a keep you own, your hand limit is 1 higher for each Keep you own.

And:
Rulebook wrote:
(at the beginning of the round) Each player draws cards up to his Hand limit. (This may be increased if he is on or next to a keep or city.)

Ending your turn next to a keep carries over to the start of the next round, so I was not sure if ending your last turn of a night round with two cards could somehow carry over to the start of the next day round as well.

Thank you both for the fast replies and for confirming that the earliest Planning can trigger is the end of your first turn of a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
Understandable-planning is already my default starting day tactic, best not to give it any more of an advantage over the other tactics than it already has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the whole thing comes down to when, exactly, you are supposed to discard your day tactic. I'm not sure if there is an entry specifically for this in the rulebook (though, I'm betting there is, but I don't have one handy), but I'm inclined to say that when the day ends, you discard your tactics and then you start setting up for the night. So, by the time you have shuffled your deed deck, and draw your hand, you won't have any tactic card to benefit from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
Hero_guy wrote:
I suppose the whole thing comes down to when, exactly, you are supposed to discard your day tactic.

I think this is not really what was being asked. You seem to be talking about the night round after the day, while I think the original poster was referring to the starting hand when taking planning.

But to answer you as well.

Not really, planning takes effect at then end of your turn which is when you normally draw your hand, however at the end of the round you then have to reshuffle your entire deed deck so the benefit from planning is be lost. (There was a rules update for hand limit effects from some(?) deed cards, but planning is not a deed card.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I technically do agree that "Planning" does not transfer to the next Night Round, for what is worth here is a relevant excerpt from the Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion rulebook:

MK LL Rulebook, p. 10, End of the Round/Game wrote:
You do not draw cards after you finish your last turn. Effects that increase Hand limit “next time you draw cards” transfer to the next Round.

Planning states "at the end of the turn", but no cards are drawn after the last turn. Nevertheless, Temporal Portal and Mountain Lore indeed state "the next time you draw cards", so they do carry over. I would also argue that Meditation/Trance does not carry over, as it's worded like Planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
Picon wrote:
I would also argue that Meditation/Trance does not carry over, as it's worded like Planning.

That would be your choice, I would note that about 3 lines down in the rule book it says.

LL rules, page 6, Effects increasing your hand limit wrote:
We recommend also using this rule for the card Meditation/Trance, that uses the old wording.

Clearly they did not want to bundle Planning into this change but did want to capture Meditation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart_aus wrote:
Picon wrote:
I would also argue that Meditation/Trance does not carry over, as it's worded like Planning.

That would be your choice, I would note that about 3 lines down in the rule book it says.

LL rules, page 6, Effects increasing your hand limit wrote:
We recommend also using this rule for the card Meditation/Trance, that uses the old wording.

Clearly they did not want to bundle Planning into this change but did want to capture Meditation.
Gods, I've never seen that. Okay, so it's set. Planning is not triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.