Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: Combining Actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Jandt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Was reading on the new Conan game and was wondering about combining actions in BP so players don't sit and wait while each takes a turn.

Everyone gets three (or four) stones (whatever, markers) and you can all coordinate your actions to go as needed rather than waiting for three and move on to the next player.

Once all players have used their actions or passed the zombies get to go as normal.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether you play the game a lot, but I would play it as it is for quite a bit before adding a rule like that. I think it would make the game easier to beat.

With only three or four actions per turn, we don't find, even with seven players, that the rest of us feel like we're just sitting around waiting for our turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it also take longer? Usually, once the player's job has been established, the actions go quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker

Kentucky
msg tools
I agree that it would have three detrimental effects:

1. It would slow down each turn as players attempt to "optimize" turn order.

2. It would negate the benefit of the "Tactician" survivor rule.

3. It would make the game significantly easier, because sometimes you end up having to wait for the guy with the Fire Axe to catch up, or spend actions trading equipment to get the job done, and this would remove those needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Andrews
msg tools
I have played this way, and there are positives and negatives.

It does make the game much easier in some ways, because you can plan out the most efficient use of your actions. It also can make for a lot of interesting coordination and planning.

Although it can make the game go more quickly in some instances, like if there are two groups and they can just do their own thing while the other group does theirs, I found it actually makes the game slow down overall as people struggle to track their actions, have to change actions on the fly due to something someone else wants to do, and can lead to power struggles if more than one person wants to do something. Dominant players are going to do what they want, and others are often left in the dust. More than once it has left at least one person feeling dissatisfied with the game.

I prefer playing with the turn order. Yes, it adds some inefficiency that doesn't make sense in real life (I'm going to waste my turn while I wait for the guy with the axe to open the door for me), but overall the game flows better, with fewer problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.