Hide
21 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Combining Wounds and Bindings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wynther Knight
msg tools
Now that Civil War is out, I noticed that The Grevious Wound "Spreading Nanovirus" has an almost same effect as Bindings from the Villains expansion when getting rid of the card, that the other person will get the wound/binding.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on combining and mixing bindings and wounds in one stack and that the two words will now be interchangable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bindings and Wounds aren't interchangeable. If you're suggesting it as a variant I have no opinion on that, I'm just clarifying that they aren't the same thing (eg cards that heal Wounds don't heal Bindings, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Not quite. What you cite can be triggered while still recruiting/fighting. It also applies to just that one, while you can pass multiple bindings at once.
That said, with Villains being officially abandoned, it may be time to consider that, strictly as a house rule. We'll never get anything else that references bindings. We will likely get villainous heroes and heroic villains in the future. I'd probably be more willing to substitute one for the other, rather than mixing. I know, the rules are very clear, but I hate my cards getting more useless over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on the subject:
If you're playing a game with a mix of cards that deal out both Wounds and Bindings, can you get rid of both Wounds and Bindings in your hand by not recruiting or fighting that turn? Or do you have to choose only one type to rid yourself of per turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please link to the source where they officially abandoned Villians. Or do you mean when Brenner said that we most likely will not have a Villains only expansion and that villains characters will be included in other expansions like Thanos and the Cabal in Secret Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timerron wrote:
Please link to the source where they officially abandoned Villians. Or do you mean when Brenner said that we most likely will not have a Villains only expansion and that villains characters will be included in other expansions like Thanos and the Cabal in Secret Wars.

Nothing's been made official, though I believe that they've used the standard "nothing planned at this time" wording.

However, while other villains (like Thanos) will be in Legendary expansions, it seems very unlikely that they will reference Hydra cards, Bindings, New Recruits, etc in future Legendary expansions.

We may be wrong, but I know where I'd bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
If you're playing a game with a mix of cards that deal out both Wounds and Bindings, can you get rid of both Wounds and Bindings in your hand by not recruiting or fighting that turn? Or do you have to choose only one type to rid yourself of per turn?

You can both heal & betray during the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
yaverot wrote:
sabird wrote:

You can both heal & betray during the same turn.

You can also gain heroes and use card abilities to draw cards, KO cards, MOOT cards, Teleport cards, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
hist wrote:
[q="timerron"]
it seems very unlikely that they will reference Hydra cards, Bindings, New Recruits, etc in future Legendary expansions.

We may be wrong, but I know where I'd bet.

I don't know about that. Bindings I agree with. Hydra is likely not to be repeated, though still possible since it doesn't require interactions with actual hydra starting cards.

But New Recruits? I think might make a comeback at some point. I mean we have newly released sidekicks, right? If they just release new recruits that can be combined with regular ones, you wouldn't really care about the original ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynther Knight
msg tools
Quote:

But New Recruits? I think might make a comeback at some point. I mean we have newly released sidekicks, right? If they just release new recruits that can be combined with regular ones, you wouldn't really care about the original ones.

Speaking of new recruits, the new speical sidekick card Hairball has the same effect as the New Recruit card, except for where the used card will go to. With an optional house ruling, you can combine sidekicks, special sidekicks, and new recruits, and same as with bindings and wounds, the 3 types can be intercahangeble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Hydra is likely not to be repeated, though still possible since it doesn't require interactions with actual hydra starting cards.

I'm holding out hope for Hydra Bob in the Deadpool expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Wynther Knight wrote:

Speaking of new recruits, the new speical sidekick card Hairball has the same effect as the New Recruit card, except for where the used card will go to. With an optional house ruling, you can combine sidekicks, special sidekicks, and new recruits, and same as with bindings and wounds, the 3 types can be intercahangeble.

Sidekicks were meant to be stronger than New Recruits, hence why there is a once per turn limitation on them.

New Recruits were meant to be bought in droves, as to support high recruit heroes so you won't get stuck without a conversion method (Bribe, Thor\Enchantress, Focus etc).

So they were meant to do different things. But I suppose it doesn't matter much anyway at this point as the new sidekicks were meant to tone down the sidekick pile anyway.

Heck, the new recruits are better picks than some of the pet avengers so wouldn't bother me.

well... Kingpin's infinite loop becomes ten times worse. But still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting variant might be to mix all of the Wounds, new Wounds, and Bindings into one face down "Wound/Bindings" deck. Then, whenever card effects refer to Wounds or Bindings, just consider them equivalent and that they refer to the Wound/Bindings deck.

So, if a Master Strike makes a player take a Wound, they just take the top card off the Wound/Bindings deck -- sometimes they will get a Wound, sometimes a Bindings.

Or if a card effect tells you to KO a Bindings from your discard pile, you can KO a Wound or a Bindings that you find there.

I'm not sure I like this variant yet, but it might be worth trying, especially if Bindings are only ever going to get used with the limited number of cards that currently refer to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the following, Wounds have way more content than Bindings. I'd be fine dealing with them as one stack since playing fully randomized games rarely yields enough Binding stuff to be meaningful.

Bindings
1 Base Set
1 Small Box

Wounds

1 Base Set
4 Big Boxes
4 Small Boxes

New Recruits and Sidekicks are different. I like to have both stacks out, because I've had games where there is nothing worth recruiting and I have 4 recruit, so I get one of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea, like most I rarely use the bindings cards; but from a theme stand point this makes sense because how often do we see the heroes getting captured or put into some sort of bindings. This combo would give it more of the comic book style feel to me. Maybe they will address this rules wise in a future expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The question then becomes: are we then going to make other cards the remove said ailments affect the whole? It'll get a little awkward with Magneto, but it would probably be the most realistic thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no... I really like the idea of mixing the decks and getting a 50/50 chance of drawing Wounds or Bindings (excluding Grievous Wounds for the sake of discussion). But Wounds & Bindings are NOT the same thing.

From a story perspective, and thus game mechanics; Healing a wound does not release you from your shackles... Likewise, breaking free of your bonds does not heal your wounds. They are 2 different things.

Where as acquiring them can easily be interchangeable. A villain attacks a hero, the hero dodges the attack, but in the process stumbles into a cage... A wound was replaced by a Binding. From the other view, a villain tries to bind a hero, the successfully avoid capture but in the process take damage. A Binding was replaced by a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
By themselves, no, I don't see how Betrayal or Healing should affectt the other. I'm thinking more along the lines of other effects that remove wounds. You're right, though. Thematically, the cards that remove wounds are designed to feel like healing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I choose to combine them (and I haven't decided yet), I will let cards that remove wounds also remove bindings (and vice versa). Also, if I'm healing/betraying and I have more than one and at least one is a binding, that binding is going to be passed to the next player. So if I have 2 wounds and 1 binding, the wounds heal and the binding gets passed.

That's the only way it would feel right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so since this discussion started, my group played a few games with Wounds, Grievous Wounds & Bindings all together.

The result of our experience is that everyone liked the new combined deck. It made the Wounds deck more flavourful and random.

Originally we went with the idea discussed above that Wounds and Bindings were not the same and if you healed one, you did not heal the other. Then as the game progressed, we realized that most cards do not refer to Bindings, therefore we had to make an exception for card text that referred to Wounds as applying to Bindings as well.

Then we remembered as we played that Bindings are discarded in the same way that Wounds are, by simply not attacking or recruiting, therefore even in that sense they should be treated as the same.

So ultimately in the end (after 3 games of testing), we had everything mixed together, and they were essentially all the same. The only exception is if healing your entire hand and you have 2 or more Bindings, then all the Wounds get KO'd, and all but 1 Binding gets passed onto another player.

Side note: We also mixed in the New Recruits with the Sidekicks & Pet Avengers and found that this also enhanced the game well. (Also made the board less cluttered with all the seperate draw decks)

We considered mixing Maria Hill and Mme Hydra together, but decided against it, as Mme Hydra is pretty much useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Hydra Bob gets some love then I will start a letter writing (hand written for that personal touch) campaign to get Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra some Legendary action.

Yeah, Villains never gets played with my group. I own it, but never play it. As a result nothing ever gets used from that set. Although I like the new wounds that came out in Civil War. They have a Bindings feel to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.