5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Gen Con 2016 attendance...about the same. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like unique attendees are down, 4-day badges are up, and turnstile attendance is up. Not exactly sure what that means, but I find it interesting that Origins also had an increase in 4-days. Perhaps just a lot of folks transitioning from casual convention attendees to making the event a vacation:

http://www.gencon.com/press/postshowrelease
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Looks like unique attendees are down, 4-day badges are up, and turnstile attendance is up. Not exactly sure what that means, but I find it interesting that Origins also had an increase in 4-days. Perhaps just a lot of folks transitioning from casual convention attendees to making the event a vacation:

http://www.gencon.com/press/postshowrelease

I think that's exactly what it means. Looks like more people that came last year on 1-day or 2-day passes took the whole weekend this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Keep on Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also means that the convention offers such a plethora of options that it is impossible to visit everything that interests you in 1 or 2 days. Therefore people are doing the 4-day trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
fokos wrote:
It also means that the convention offers such a plethora of options that it is impossible to visit everything that interests you in 1 or 2 days. Therefore people are doing the 4-day trip.

Bingo. It took me 7 hours across two days just to make it through the dealer hall. Sure if I just walked and looked I could have done it in two, but that's not why I'm there. I walk, look, stop, chat, demo, get lost, back track, squirrel!, walk some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that is exactly what it means also. More people are opting to come all four days rather than just a weekend event. There is just too much to do at Gen Con. At the end I am always filled with a bit of disappointment as I look at the events that I didn't get a chance to do. I resolve to do those things the next year but still have the same melancholy feeling at the end

Solution - GEN CON 365!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.