Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I played the first adventure in Flame of the West the other day, and we ran into this card:

---------
The Way is Shut
Type: Treachery

Peril. Surge.
When Revealed: Either attach a set aside Overcome by Fear to your threat dial, or progress cannot be placed on the current quest until the end of the round.
---------

We had an active location and were wondering if we could still put progress tokens on it. The active location acts as a buffer for the current quest, but is that the same as a proxy for the current quest? I was thinking we could not put tokens on it, but the three people I was playing with disagreed (and we played that you could). Did we play it correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quest =/= location as far as Im aware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a clear answer to this question in the FAQ, but here are some answers to other questions that might be relevant:

FAQ 1.05 wrote:
(1.05) Removing Progress Tokens from Quests
When a card effect removes progress tokens from a quest or quest card, the effect applies specifically to the quest card, and never to the active location.

FAQ 1.27 wrote:
(1.27) Bypass the active location
The only time an active location does not act as a buffer for progress to be placed on a quest is when card text specifically instructs the players to “bypass” the active location.

FAQ, unnumbered questions section wrote:
Q: Does the effect on Legolas (CORE 5) place progress tokens on an active location, if there is one?
A: Yes. Always place progress tokens on an active location instead of the quest, unless the ability specifically states to bypass any active location.

FAQ, unnumbered questions section wrote:
Q: If there is an active location with the text "Immune to player card effects" when Legolas participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, do I place 2 progress on the active location or the quest?
A: No. When Legolas' ability would put progress on the current quest, if there is an active location, it puts progress on that location instead. If that location is immune to player card effects, it ignores Legolas' ability. Therefore, no progress would be placed on the active location or the current quest.

So progress is always placed on the active location instead of the quest (see the first unnumbered answer I quoted). And cards that remove tokens from the current quest mean only the current quest. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to say that a card that says "progress cannot be placed on the current quest" will only block the quest card, and the active location will still receive progress.

Do note that if it's the active location that gets blocked with a "cannot place progress" effect, though, the quest card is also blocked, as stated in the second unnumbered FAQ entry I quoted. So the active location / quest distinction is not always in favor of the players! But in this particular case, it is -- and I believe you ended up playing it correctly when you placed tokens on the active location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers! Sounds like we played this one correctly, so I feel better about our narrow victory. If we weren't able to place the progress tokens on the active locations, we probably would have failed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting, because my reading of the rules would suggest the opposite.

Page 15 of the core rulebook says:

Quote:
Any progress tokens that would be placed on a quest card are instead placed on the active location.

If progress can not be placed on the quest, then it is not progress that "would be" placed on the quest card, so it doesn't go on the location either, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.